Why believe the fat chick?

Options
So I just was in a discussion at lunch where a co-worker stated she was dreading going to the gym because her legs hurt so much from working out the day before. I asked why she wasn't working another body part today and she said its all cardio to lose fat which of course worked your legs. I mentioned lifting heavy to help reduce body fat to which another co-worker chimed in that was wrong you have to lift light with lots of repetitions. I give up. I am wrong? Should I just keep my mouth shut until I'm not the fat chick anymore?

Replies

• StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You can't fix stupid and you shouldn't try. Let it go. You could be rock solid and they would come up with something on why you are wrong and they are right. That what worked for you would in no way work for them like you are some exception to the rule. I was probably one of them at one time believing the myths and hype posted online and in magazines. But part of my point is each one has to find what works for them. Be happy you have figured that out and smile because the means you are one up on them.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    You will find that everyone has their opinions of the "correct" way to lose weight. Do you and if they ask how you did it, you can tell them then. I typically keep my thoughts to myself because I don't care to argue with people.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Its going to be a battle forever and unfortunately people do put more credibility in someone that has the results already.

You are on the right track but just to clarify a little the lifting does not help burn fat anymore than the cardio. Both burn calories but it is the calorie deficit that causes weight loss. That could happen with or without cardio or weightlifting.

The weightlifting helps preserve your muscle while you lose weight. Making the majority of your weight loss come from fat and leaving you with that shape most people are looking for.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    The correct answer is eating less calories than you burn will help with fat loss regardless of exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    No...I am not the "fat chick" anymore and some of my friends still tell me the following:

Cardio burns fat the best
    You are gonna get bulky
    You have to eat clean to lose weight
    Carbs turn to sugar (was said to me today)
    Calorie counting doesn't work

You make a choice do you want to be right or happy....if it's important to you that you debate this be right otherwise just smile and nod.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I often have people ask me how I lost the weight and what exercises I do to look so good and healthy. When I tell them It was calorie intake, heavy weights, and brisk walking, they then go on to tell me why none of that will work for them.

I don't judge, just smile and wish them luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    To be fair, there has been information published that states that working out in a certain heart rate zone burns a higher percentage of fat. The problem with that is, if you work out at higher heart rates you burn more overall calories and therefore at least as much fat as the lower heart rate. Info like that confuses people.

I am a firm believer from personal experience that cardio alone doesn't give the results most people want. Lifting heavy brings results. I'm fitting into clothes that I couldn't fit into at 10 pounds lighter than I am now. In other words, I weigh more but I'm smaller. And I couldn't be happier about it.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    I wanted to add as well...being an expert on losing weight is great...but I would rather be that person who is a jack of all trades...good at losing weight, good at maintaining, good at finding an exercise that is fun and I want to do...

So as long as you are that "jack of all trades" the rest doesn't matter really...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Keep your mouth shut, even after your successful. Your knowledge was earned. They can earn theirs.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I often have people ask me how I lost the weight and what exercises I do to look so good and healthy. When I tell them It was calorie intake, heavy weights, and brisk walking, they then go on to tell me why none of that will work for them.

I don't judge, just smile and wish them luck!

My response would be, of that's because you're special. Then just leave it at that.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

This is technically 100% true. I'm sure it was said to you in a manner that sounded like "and sugar is bad mmkay?" but the reality is that all carbs you eat, upon digestion, are broken down into their constituent sugars. "Carbs" as they are found on a nutrition label are nothing more than complex sugars - IE polysaccharides. You body needs sugar for energy. Technically sugar is a carbohydrate as well, but it is split out of the nutrition line item separately.

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I don't even go there with my co-workers.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Never mind
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just tell people the best exercise is the one that you'll stick with, but diet is #1. Then they usually start going on about how lucky I am that I have a fast metabolism and this green coffee extract they're thinking about trying and I just... can't.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I used to try to be helpful but no one listened so now I am just that vague skinny lady. You know the type: "eat less," "exercise", and "cut out white food" for laughs because that is the kind of nondescript, convoluted sounding negativity that they want to hear, that way they can cry that it doesn't work. That's how all those vague people are born. If they are serious they probably already know the answers and just need confirmations to make sure their facts are straight - That's a whole different, tolerable breed. I feel like some people want to believe they need Slim Fast shakes and horrible fasts.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can only do so much for people who really don't want to care.

Save your breath for people who ACTUALLY want to make a change.

Secondly- you're correct- you are only going to get so far with people if you're results aren't obvious. People take you way more seriously and give you way more props if you've lost a lot- or come a long way- ironically people will take you more seriously than a fitness professional who has never been obese or never struggled.

But it takes all types.

I wouldn't really get bent or upset about it- there will always be people who only believe SHAPE magazine or what Opera tells them. They don't want to hear the answers- so they chose not to. They are a waste of time to talk to. Spend it helping people who really want help.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

This is technically 100% true. I'm sure it was said to you in a manner that sounded like "and sugar is bad mmkay?" but the reality is that all carbs you eat, upon digestion, are broken down into their constituent sugars. "Carbs" as they are found on a nutrition label are nothing more than complex sugars - IE polysaccharides. You body needs sugar for energy. Technically sugar is a carbohydrate as well, but it is split out of the nutrition line item separately.

Yes it came from a woman who watched Fed up and believed it all....thinks low fat is the key and doesn't believe active women can eata 2300 calories a day and not gain weight and insists on eating 1200 (not weighed of course)

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    So I just was in a discussion at lunch where a co-worker stated she was dreading going to the gym because her legs hurt so much from working out the day before. I asked why she wasn't working another body part today and she said its all cardio to lose fat which of course worked your legs. I mentioned lifting heavy to help reduce body fat to which another co-worker chimed in that was wrong you have to lift light with lots of repetitions. I give up. I am wrong? Should I just keep my mouth shut until I'm not the fat chick anymore?

No you are not wrong at all, but people will only hear what they want to hear.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Yes it came from a woman who watched Fed up and believed it all....thinks low fat is the key and doesn't believe active women can eata 2300 calories a day and not gain weight and insists on eating 1200 (not weighed of course)

As I suspected, not from the actual science perspective but from the uninformed perspective. I love when people give uninformed advice! It's so much fun! Those "documentaries" only make things much worse.