Toning exercises

Options
proudmumaa13
proudmumaa13 Posts: 14
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys plz help I need some toning ideas
I can't make it to the gym as I'm a single parent of two girls both under three :)
Ones that really work please :)

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Google "You are your own gym." It's a book that will show you body weight exercises.

If you don't want to buy it, do any combo of the following: push-ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, walking lunges, jump squats, burpees, sumo squat, tricep dip. (That's all I can think of at the moment, but I'm sure others will list out more.)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Toning is a misconception of what is actually happening to your body. You lose fat by eating at a deficit. When you lose fat, muscle seems to tone, although its just that the layer of fat is no longer covering up muscle that was existing.

You can't gain muscle on a deficit so "toning" is not done exclusively my exercise, really has to do with your diet. You can exercise til your blue in the face, but if you're not eating at a deficit, you will not lose fat.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/toning/
    http://physicalculturist.ca/4-reasons-the-word-toned-needs-to-die/

Don't fear getting "bulky" it really isn't that easy for us to build huge muscles (it's not even that easy for men to build huge muscles either).
    I am a single mom to two boys and thankfully my gym has a daycare. If you can't find one like that in your area look into "You Are Your Own Gym".
  • proudmumaa13
    Options
    Ok thank you ladies I do eat in deficit my body fat is 15.2% at the minute so I'm trying to build muscle x
  • proudmumaa13
    Options
    My only thing I worry about is that my calculation for calorie deficit is 1949 is this too much?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Ok thank you ladies I do eat in deficit my body fat is 15.2% at the minute so I'm trying to build muscle x

How did you get that number for your body fat? 15% for a woman is very lean and if you are trying to build muscle then you need to not be in a deficit. Not knowing any of your stats I can't tell you where 1950 calories is in relation to your TDEE.
  • proudmumaa13
    Options
    I'm so new to all this lol I have no idea what TDEE means lol
    I did a calculation online and it told me 1949!
    I'm 130lb and 5ft 5 and a half so I don't want to lose weight but gain muscle x
  • usmcmp
    Options
    If you don't want to lose weight then you don't want to be in a deficit (under what you would maintain at). TDEE is total amount of energy you use during the day.

If you have a desk job, but you workout 4+ days a week you would probably maintain at around 2000 calories. If you want to gain muscle you may have to eat slightly above that. It means you will gain some fat too. If you are new to lifting you can make some small muscle gains eating at about what you would maintain at.
  • proudmumaa13
    Options
    Ok thank you I'm a complete novice to all this! My body fat may be 15.2 but I have no definition what so ever! I've only recently started working out at home x
  • usmcmp
    Options
    15.jpg
  • proudmumaa13
    Options
    :) so I need to eat more Cals than I lose working out. I think I'm starting to get it lol x
  • usmcmp
    Options
    TDEE= BMR+daily activity+exercise
  • dmcb24
    dmcb24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Check out toneitup.com

These girls post free butt kicking workouts that get results.