What was the hardest thing you had to give up? How did you do it?

Options
2»

Replies

• numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    bread for sure. i'd have probably at least two servings of bread per day. i had to just not buy it anymore and i only have it now if i get a sandwich when i go out somewhere.

but WHY did you have to give up bread? Was it a medical requirement? If not, then you DID NOT have to give it up...

well as i said i still have it when i have a sandwich if i go out somewhere, so i can moderate how much i have. i had to stop buying it because moderation is still VERY hard for me sometimes. sometimes i can do it, but i am prone to binging (i have emotional eating problems and had binge and purge cycles in the past), and so if bread was in the house, it'd be too stressful for me to constantly be around it and have it "calling out" to me and constantly monitor myself with it.
  • erulasse
    erulasse Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything. Not a single thing.
    If I fancy it, I make sure I either work out harder, or adjust my other calories to fit around it.
    This is a lifestyle change and if my life has to be without ever enjoying my favourite snacks, I'd rather be fat :wink:
  • Ranidan2
    Options
    I had two of the worst addictions. Booze and cigarettes.

I gave up smoking 5 months ago, very difficult. I had to use medicine (Chantix) to be successful, but I've stuck to it. Now I've turned my attention to Booze. I'm ten days sober for the first time in 6 years. And, in case anyone needs motivation, I've lost 5 pounds in those 10 days.
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Laying on the couch for hours on end. Seriously. I don't really have a problem with the food piece. I even enjoy the exercise piece. I just feel like I have a lot less time for zoning out than I used to.

Exactly this. I felt like I had less time for homework and such, but then I had to be honest with myself and admit that exercise and cooking cut into Netflix time, not homework time.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    I didn't give up anything. Portion control... calorie deficit....it works...try it
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    "What was the hardest thing you had to give up? How did you do it?"

First let's say you shouldn't "HAVE" to give up anything unless medically necessary... that said, once diagnosed a type 2 diabetic I virtually gave up sugar and reduced fats in order to lose weight and reverse my diagnosis. (I say virtually because natural sugar is in everything we eat, one can never fully give up sugar!)

In eliminating sugar I use sugar substitutes and I applied the "eat this not that" mentality. Instead of ice cream, I consume sugar free pudding. I don't eat cake, unless it is made using Splenda... and so on... There are many great food items available that are prepared with sugar substitutes, even the bakeries in grocery stores will prepare pastries that are "no sugar added". This way I never feel deprived in the sweet category.

As a side note: These bakery items could be higher in fat and calories though, I found I now read ALL food nutritional labels.

Fats, I no longer use butter or margarine and most dairy products. I use PAM or a flavored, non-sweetened tea to add moisture in my sauteed foods (like fish and onions)... I learned this little trick from watching Chopped on the Food Network. They added the tea because it was a required item, when I realized it added the moisture I needed to prevent my sauteed foods from sticking to the pan... I jumped on it.

Also, I stopped adding butter to my potatoes and other foods... I just up the seasoning and add a little pepper...

My biggest advice to anyone working on losing weight... read nutritional labels, count calories and apply the "eat this not that" philosophy.

Great success to you in your weight loss journey... you can do it! :)