Is there a pie with pumpkin and meringue?

Options
dbmata
dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
Seriously, is this a thing that exists?

I have a country ham I'm going to take off the wall and roast, what goes better with that then a pumpkin pie? However, I love those pies that have huge mounds of meringue on them. So...

Anyone have a recipe or a recipe rec for a pumpkin meringue pie? I was thinking, at the very least I could make a regular pumpkin pie, top it with an italian meringue, and then bake it until browned, and that would be fine... but I'm open.

Replies

• Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Coco's has a pumpkin chiffon pie:
    blog13.jpg

There's this place I've been to that does a pumpkin pecan bar...with essentially pecan pie filling on top of pumpkin pie.

That was amazing.

But if you don't find a pumpkin meringue recipe you can always just top a pumpkin pie with little meringues instead of whipped cream. It would look the same.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Ice cream pies are amazing things, this one though, I'd love to be room temp or warm. :)

I'm checking that recipe though, I could make that next time I want a little something at home, and I have a fire going.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Joannah700 wrote: »
    But if you don't find a pumpkin meringue recipe you can always just top a pumpkin pie with little meringues instead of whipped cream. It would look the same.
    Yeah, that's kinda the idea at the moment. Might modify my frangelico pumpkin pie recipe, and top it with flavored meringue. I think I might shoot for 8" tall. Call it the measure of a man.

Coco's, I wonder what the chiffon is... I didn't think of lightening the pumpkin with egg white....
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Omg, I had no idea this was a thing! Not only does it exist, but Martha has a recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/857648/deep-dish-pumpkin-meringue-pie
  • dbmata
    Options
    OH MY GOD YOU DID IT.

That's EXACTLY what I had in my mind.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Omg, I had no idea this was a thing! Not only does it exist, but Martha has a recipe: http://www.marthastewart.com/857648/deep-dish-pumpkin-meringue-pie

Omg

• spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I think I need this in my life right now
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that, but now that I have, I will do whatever I can to get that in my life.
  • dbmata
    Options
    After reading through the recipe, it was straight up what I was thinking.

A pumpkin pie topped with an italian meringue. This will happen.
  • Winterlover123
    Winterlover123 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    How didn't I know this was a thing!? D:
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I've made a meringue crust that had a chocolate filling. You could sub with pumpkin filling. It was called Cloud Nine in a Company's Coming recipe book.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I love the contrast of meringue with something tart so I'm wondering about the combo since pumpkin is not tart. I would imagine it tasting marshmallow-ey. In which case, that does sound interesting. Let us know how it goes.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I've made a meringue crust that had a chocolate filling. You could sub with pumpkin filling. It was called Cloud Nine in a Company's Coming recipe book.

Sounds a bit like a vacherin.

0144.jpg