This is what a plateau looks like - how did you cope with yours?

Options

Replies

• fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ok I've said I'm fastidious with logging - ignoring all "it's logging" suggestions.
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    and why is your goal 500?????? :o IF? or every other day thing?

Yah McDonalds @900 one day this week (not that there is anything wrong with that)

But you aren't weighing most things....that will do it.

500 calories one day and your TDEE + up to 75% is how the Alternate Day Diet is done. If this starts a rash of ill-informed "opinion" on ADD then I'm SMDH.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    A plateau would look like that, except it would be a lot more than 13 days long.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    You can direct people who question ADF (alt. day fasting) to the Varady studies summarized toward the bottom of my profile. :)

A lot of people do just fine estimating foods without weighing them. I do plateau but on average over long time frames I lose just what my expected deficit suggests I should, with very little food weighing.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    A plateau would look like that, except it would be a lot more than 13 days long.

:grinning:
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    You dont' need to adhere to set macros unless you have dietary restrictions (e.g. can't have high carbs). I only stick with protein, everything else is free-for-all. But if you are not losing weight then you are either
    a) not logging accurately,
    b) eating more than you need to even with accurate logging (i.e. your energy needs are now lower),
    c) you are overestimating burn if you do NEAT method...

Based on your diary
    1) you are not weighing everything. So this lends to hypothesis (a)
    2) you averaged around 1000 calories a few weeks ago. This is ridiculously low. Cycling calories is not about eating way too few calories, it's about cycling between maintenance needs and deficits. This is an example of how you would properly estimate your cycling needs assuming you are including exercise into your calculation 1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

calculate your TDEE or NEAT needs, subtract 10-20%, set as your daily goal, and you will lose weight just fine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I don't think two weeks constitutes a plateau...annoying and frustrating, yes...but I had my fare share of periods like that when I didn't really lose and then I would start dropping again...a couple of weeks is pretty par for the course.

I find this to be more and more of an issue as I lost weight and moved into a healthy BF% range.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    This is what a year's weight loss looks like.
    r9ovy4rskcyy.jpg

The long view means don't pay attention to the freaking scale! NOW it looks like a long and steady downward trend; very encouraging.

If someone asks how much I have lost, I round it up to the nearest five and say "give or take".
  • ana3067
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    and why is your goal 500?????? :o IF? or every other day thing?

Yah McDonalds @900 one day this week (not that there is anything wrong with that)

But you aren't weighing most things....that will do it.

500 calories one day and your TDEE + up to 75% is how the Alternate Day Diet is done. If this starts a rash of ill-informed "opinion" on ADD then I'm SMDH.

You are clearly not following this type of diet then, because you averaged 1000 a few weeks ago. So... clearly your TDEE is not so low that it would result in an average like this. But considering many people have pointed to logging issues, why not take these words to heart and work on improving your logging? As others have said, not weighing everything and using generic items are in fact going to influence your results. I do not trust MFP entries either, so I created all my own food entries based on cross-checking multiple databases, multiplying the macros myself to get at the calorie count, and every day I multiply my macro total to get at my calorie intake. I also weigh everything in grams. Everything, including prepackaged foods. I only don't weight take out because... that's not really easy to work with.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Ohh fancy text. Weeeee

Anyways OP, it would be unwise to just ignore the advice of anyone saying it's user error. I know that it feels like an attack but it is the most likely possibility. :(

I wish you luck!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    P.S. the little dips upwards closely spaced apart are two scales on two different days. Just goes to show.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    2) you averaged around 1000 calories a few weeks ago. This is ridiculously low. Cycling calories is not about eating way too few calories, it's about cycling between maintenance needs and deficits. This is an example of how you would properly estimate your cycling needs assuming you are including exercise into your calculation 1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

calculate your TDEE or NEAT needs, subtract 10-20%, set as your daily goal, and you will lose weight just fine.
    I don't think she's asking you to explain IF to her, or 'proper' dieting. She's using a published plan that is not the web site you linked to. It's a valid plan that has nothing to do with calcing your TDEE or averaging your calories across a week.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I've got to say I'm punctilious with regards to logging. I don't trust the food database on MFP unless I have no other choice. You can't read the calories on the back of a cucumber. I've been at a deficit of 3850 calories a week for the last 10 weeks, and in the first seven I steadily lost 1kg per week.

If you think I'm chugging a twinkie every now and then and not noticing... no.
    So it's been 3 weeks of no weight loss? Then it's not a plateau. Also notice that there's a spike in weight gain. What happened with the previous day's eating?

My diary's open. Go nuts.
    Nah, I'd rather you tell me rather than me analyzing your eating program.
    Anyway, it's NOT been 6 weeks so it's not a plateau. A "stall" yes, and that's COMMON with any weight loss program. Revisit it in 3 more weeks to see if anything's changed.

BTW, sleep patterns and stress DO affect weight loss, so if there's been any change there, then that's something to look at.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• fluffyasacat
    edited October 2014
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    r9ovy4rskcyy.jpg

The long view means don't pay attention to the freaking scale! NOW it looks like a long and steady downward trend; very encouraging.

If someone asks how much I have lost, I round it up to the nearest five and say "give or take".

Cool, here's mine. The plateau is the last bit. I like to throw a trend line in there.

r9uwxh5fzmxu.png
  • fluffyasacat
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You are clearly not following this type of diet then, because you averaged 1000 a few weeks ago.

Are you talking about the time I was getting over gastro? See all the Hydralyte in there?
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My wife had a problem losing weight until we got her thyroid under control.

"What thyroid patients need to know more about are three factors that are likely at work for many of us with a difficulty losing weight -- a changed metabolic 'set point,' changes in brain chemistry due to illness and stress, and insulin resistance." -About Health

You can have a huge deficit and not lose weight. If this the thyroid has nothing to do with it, and there are not insulin issues, I would gain motivation by changing my workout plan and doing things I haven't done, yet. I may cut back on exercise for a few days and then come back full steam. I try to keep it fresh the best I can.

• TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    r9ovy4rskcyy.jpg

Thanks for sharing this. It is interesting how you could go a whole month and then, "whoosh!"
  • ana3067
    Options

I don't think she's asking you to explain IF to her, or 'proper' dieting. She's using a published plan that is not the web site you linked to. It's a valid plan that has nothing to do with calcing your TDEE or averaging your calories across a week.
    And as she already showed, she's not even following the "valid plan" correctly - 1000 as a weekly average does not equal 500 cals every other day with 3 or 4 days of eating at maintenance or above.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Anyway, it's NOT been 6 weeks so it's not a plateau. A "stall" yes, and that's COMMON with any weight loss program. Revisit it in 3 more weeks to see if anything's changed.

Yup. Like the the other poster who shared her graph, mine is much the same, lots of flatness followed by big drops. It happens more often to some of us apparently, but I am pretty certain it happens to almost everyone.

• ana3067
    Options
    You are clearly not following this type of diet then, because you averaged 1000 a few weeks ago.

Are you talking about the time I was getting over gastro? See all the Hydralyte in there?

No. actually I meant last week, not a few weeks ago. Oct 12-18. You averaged 1000 calories, give or take. Which is very very very very very unlikely to equal your TDEE (or higher) combined iwth a few 500-calorie days.

And if it does, then you really should be eating far above your maintenance, or you should follow a far more reasonable intermittent fasting plan. <1200 calories for weight loss is only appropriate for very short and very very slim women who likely do not work out.

Btw, TDEE means total daily energy expenditure, so that includes your average exercise. Just in case you have been using NEAT, which is non-exercise activity thermogenesis.