Does MFP calculate calories burned by your weight?

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
or is it one of those "based on a 130lb person" yadda yadda type things?

Replies

• JillyCornwall
    JillyCornwall Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    no it uses the weight you enter when you set your goals
  • ksimms
    ksimms Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered this too.

Hopefully someone has the answer.
  • plain_jane
    plain_jane Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this too, and just looked at my printable exercise report. The calories posted for the same exercise as I've lost weight have decreased, so I am assuming it adjusts based on your weight.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i've found that the calories burned for any given exercise changes depending on my weight.

ie: 30 mins moderate paced walk is 147 cals for me.. NOW.. but when i first started (31 pounds ago) it showed i burned more calories for the same walk.
  • AmandaMonique
    Options
    Yeah it goes by weight. When I first started I didn't know that and went through and changed them all by looking it up online..
    It's still not as accurate as going by heart rate but it's nice to have an estimate.
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same and what I have saw is it goes based on your weight... Think of it like this: an average 130lb person burns X amount of calories while walking at 2.0mph (walking the dog) for thirty minutes now give that person a back pack with 100 more pounds of weight in it and have them walk the same speed and the same length and they are bound to burn more calories because the effort it takes to move that much weight is greater :)

Hope that helps!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    The exercises in the database are not based on any specific weight. They are just general. They are not customized to your weight. I bought a heart rate monitor and found that the MFP exercise database's figures are way high!! Some are as much as 3 times what I actually burn using my HRM. I rarely use the database anymore. Its just not accurate.
  • tnknights
    tnknights Posts: 23
    Options
    They seem to be based on the weight you entered. But that in itself is just a generalization. Use of the heart rate monitor is more accurate. And even them you should back out the calories you would burn anyway.
  • aanddplusoanda
    aanddplusoanda Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    MFP is way off on my calories burnt...I use a HRM and also check my HR to make sure my HRM is correct. My HRM takes my weight, age, height and sex... I always thought that when you put an exercise into MFP database it just uses that to figure it... Like lets say I put in Elliptical trainer and I know I burnt 400 calories in 20 minutes on it.... and I submitted it to MFP database and someone searched it and they put in that they did 20 minutes on it, it would also say that they burnt 400 calories when they could have either burnt more or less. I don't think it takes any of your personal stats to figure that.....but that's just what I think.