Health issues and lifting weights

I have a question concerning lifting weights and health issues. I have degenerative joint disease in my shoulders, hips and knees. My doctor and ortho have given me a 10 lb limit for lifting. I currently do tons of cardio riding my bicycle (low impact). I can do modified squats (not going so low) and I do have some flexibility in my shoulders, though sadly can't raise my arms above my shoulders. I am on a fixed income so a gym membership is pretty much out of the question. I did buy a 10 lb kettlebell. Does anyone out there have good suggestions for some strength training for upper body that I can do at home? I have lost 71 lbs but I have noticed I have also lost lean body mass in my upper arms, shoulders and back. My avatar pic was taken in July of this year.

Replies

• I admire you. You're not sitting on your bum feeling sorry for yourself but getting up and wanting to be proactive. Good on you.
    I do think you need some very specialied advice though so you may wish to speak to a personal trainer, experienced with this type of issue.
    don't give up
  • anaconda469
    anaconda469 Posts: 3,472 Member
    I have ridden my bike over 3000 miles in the last 14 months. Where the problem comes in is distance rides. My legs are in terrific shape for organized bike events. Its my shoulders and biceps particularly. Can't afford a personal trainer so going to slog it out by myself. I will figure it out. Thanks for the reply.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Do you have health insurance? Maybe you can get some Physical Therapy sessions covered, where they could set up a safe program for you?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    I have a autoimmune joint disease that is degenerative to my hands, wrist, fingers, hips, knees, and shoulders. When I was first dx'd years after the symthoms, my doctors put me on the same restrictions. It was tough as I played semi-pro football into my mid 30's and just about every sport. I have lifted weights for the past 30+ years and then was instructed not to lift anything that was colored "pink" & to stop running.

Within a year I was fully crippled walking with a cane and could barely walk 100 yards. I went against dr's orders and began to lift again and run. My theory was my joints were getting weaker from the disease and my muscles were fading, so strengthening training them would help not hurt me more.

I'm much smaller than I'm use to 6'3" 215lbs, but I feel like so great now. Dr's have eaten crow and are supporting my physical activity.

You will not gain muscle while eating at a deficit, but you can gain strength. You might be able to find used weights on craiglist, ebay, garage sales etc...

Exercises that you could possible do from what you mentioned are your concerns are:

Overhead press, curls, bent over rows, possible dead lifts, incline/flat presses.

PM me if you have any questions or if you need advice.

Good luck...

• I have a question concerning lifting weights and health issues. I have degenerative joint disease in my shoulders, hips and knees. My doctor and ortho have given me a 10 lb limit for lifting. I currently do tons of cardio riding my bicycle (low impact). I can do modified squats (not going so low) and I do have some flexibility in my shoulders, though sadly can't raise my arms above my shoulders. I am on a fixed income so a gym membership is pretty much out of the question. I did buy a 10 lb kettlebell. Does anyone out there have good suggestions for some strength training for upper body that I can do at home? I have lost 71 lbs but I have noticed I have also lost lean body mass in my upper arms, shoulders and back. My avatar pic was taken in July of this year.

Hi there

I'm new and like you, have a few health issues, including degen disc and joint disease.

I'm not sure where you're from but it would be really advisable to have a physiotherapist help you develop a training program. They have a deeper understanding of your body's anatomy and mechanics and can advise you in such a way that you'll be sure to not do more damage.

The skin hanging down is normal after weight loss and age. If you google upper body/upper arms exercises, there are a few that tackle this issue. You will know whether or not you can do these when you view them.

Good luck!!
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    I went to my doc last week and was given the same damn restriction of 10 lbs. I was ALL ready to start the stronglift 5x5 program and am so PISSED! My problem is that I was in a car accident 15 years ago that netted me a titanium rod in my right femur. (Of course at that time the docs told me I'd be lucky to walk again. I race walk 5 to 6 miles a day now so what do they know?) Anyway, I am half tempted to do it anyway. I can SO relate to where you are coming from because I lost 60 lbs and am 7 lbs from my goal weight now and I feel soft and weak and flabby in my abs (which I CAN do some body weight training for) and my upper body too. I have been lifting 5 lb weights to muscle failure which takes like 60 reps at this point, is very time consuming and sometimes makes me feel like I am wasting my time, but I have gradually been seeing a difference. Honestly the thing that has made the biggest difference is push ups and planks. I am getting there but it is SLOW. I feel ya buddy.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    wmcmurray, what's the worst that could happen?

Seriously, so you work out, you don't get hurt, cool.
    You work out, you get hurt, you heal up, cool.

It's not like trying it is going to kill you, so go slow and try. You'll never know otherwise, right?

My mom has two fake hips, was told she couldn't ride her bike anymore, rode in a century race. Boom.