How much weight would I lose?

Options
I'm starting at 360 pounds after losing 5 already. I have maximum calorie intake of 2,000. I'm 6'2 and male. In about 40 days, how much weight would I lose if I were to exercise intensely for 2 1/2 hours? I want to lose 60 pounds by then. Is that possible?

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Realistically, no. I fail to see any way that would be possible. And why would you want to lose weight so rapidly anyway when a slower loss is more sustainable and would likely lead to less loose skin? I mean, seriously, you would be looking at around 10Ibs per week.
  • riverq1
    riverq1 Posts: 26
    Options
    What would be realistic for my weight
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    YMMV. So best way is to go at it and see for yourself. Welcome and best wishes on your WOE.
  • hasnainb
    Options
    riverq1 wrote: »
    What would be realistic for my weight

You should set your goal for 1 lbs a week.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    riverq1 wrote: »
    I'm starting at 360 pounds after losing 5 already. I have maximum calorie intake of 2,000. I'm 6'2 and male. In about 40 days, how much weight would I lose if I were to exercise intensely for 2 1/2 hours? I want to lose 60 pounds by then. Is that possible?
    Nope!
    You'll fail.
    Just follow the MFP recommendations and lose 1 pound per week.
    That is all...

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You might get an initial big loss, which is quite common in people with a lot to lose, but after that, the general loss seems to be around 2-3 Ibs a week at most, short of taking very unhealthy measures. It should not be a sprint but rather a marathon and making sustainable, lifelong changes that will help you keep the weight off in the long run.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    10lbs a week is highly unrealistic, forget that Biggest Loser stuff.

At your weight, with a reasonable deficit, you would concievable lose 2-4lbs a week for the first number of weeks of your weight loss. The more you have to lose, the faster it tends to come off in the beginning. I don't think you'd get anywhere near 60lbs in that time, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see 20-25. It will slow down, though.
  • RebelDiamond
    RebelDiamond Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    The key is to set realistic expectations so you don't get disheartened and give up.
    I agree with the above comments.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    So losing 1.5 lbs a day will be more the most folks can pull off. I went pretty aggressive with my weight loss and averaged .5 pounds a day working out for 3-4 hours a day eating ~2000 calories over the course of five months.

Your best bet is to simply do as much as you can. Eat well. Get up and move as often as you can. And stick to it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    2.5 hours a day seems like a lot.

Please don't start all this diet and intense exercise regimen before discussing it with your doctor. We don't want you on the floor.

Take it slow. Get good advice. Do it RIGHT!!!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    Actually, at the size you are and the amount you need to lose, you could easily start out with 2 lbs loss per week. You can do the math this way:

Find your TDEE. This is the number of calories you burn each day, taking into account your average amount of activity. Let's say for the sake of argument that this is 3000 calories.

A pound of fat is 3500 calories, so to lose 2 pounds per week, you would want to eat 7000 calories less than you burn each week (3500 calories x 2 pounds). This means you should eat 1000 calories less than you burn each day (7000 calories / 7 days.)

So if your TDEE were 3000 calories, then eating 2000 calories per day would leave you a 1000 calorie deficit each day, and result in a 2 lb loss per week.

Does that make sense?
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You would need to have a deficit of 5250 calories per day to lose 60 pounds in 40 days.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Realistically, if you try to exercise intensely for 2 1/2 hours and keep it to no more than 2000 calories, you're not going to lose anything because you're going to burn out faster than a matchstick.

Follow MFP's recommendations. You do have more to lose, so you're probably safe to set it to 2 lbs/week. Follow your calorie goal, eat back a portion of your exercise calories and sit back and let whatever comes, come.
  • highcountrymama
    highcountrymama Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You've been given some great advice. You'll probably lose quite a bit if you're moving and taking in fewer calories. Some people lose up to 3-5 pounds per week in the beginning but it will slow down a little as your get closer to your goals. Good luck to you! You're an inspiration.
  • segovm
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Realistically, if you try to exercise intensely for 2 1/2 hours and keep it to no more than 2000 calories, you're not going to lose anything because you're going to burn out faster than a matchstick.

Follow MFP's recommendations. You do have more to lose, so you're probably safe to set it to 2 lbs/week. Follow your calorie goal, eat back a portion of your exercise calories and sit back and let whatever comes, come.

I don't really know that that is entirely true. I went five months on 2000 calories a day and 4 hours of exercise, dropped 80 pounds.

Not everyone burns out with a little effort if they are properly motivated.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    You might get an initial big loss, which is quite common in people with a lot to lose, but after that, the general loss seems to be around 2-3 Ibs a week at most, short of taking very unhealthy measures. It should not be a sprint but rather a marathon and making sustainable, lifelong changes that will help you keep the weight off in the long run.

Was going to say the same thing.

In people with a lot to lose, it's not uncommon for them to see a really drastic loss in the first few weeks. You might. But don't expect such big losses to happen.

Slow and steady is usually the best way to go for weight loss.

I don't think that big a loss would be possible in 40 days. I hesitate to say how big a loss would. My mom started out around the same weight, and lost about 25 in 2 months. That might give you some idea. But she was, also, sedentary and is a 5'2" woman. So, there are many differences to consider.

Just pace yourself. And good lucky in your goals.

• SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    segovm wrote: »

I don't really know that that is entirely true. I went five months on 2000 calories a day and 4 hours of exercise, dropped 80 pounds.

Also depends on what kind of exercise.

Someone starting out with 2 hours on a treadmill on the highest setting or 2 hours of HIIT - including burpees and stuff - would burn out faster than someone doing an hour of light cardio and an hour of walking or light strength training.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

YOU may have lost 80 lbs doing 4 hours of exercise and 2000 calories, but that doesn't mean that there are zero negative effects to that. This may be your experience, but it's also anecdotal. Just because you did it, doesn't mean someone else should, either. If you're going to try and be that aggressive, I 100% believe it needs to be done under doctor supervision. OP has yet to state whether they are planning to do this under any doctor supervision.

And while what I stated may not be 100% true, pushing yourself for 2 1/2 hours of intense activity? That's a bit much. Especially if you don't take rest days. Not only that, you're leaving yourself open to injury, which can easily sideline you and your progress. And also, you need to properly fuel your body for your workouts, regardless of how long or intense they are.

If there's anything I've learned on MFP, it's that going balls to the wall, all or nothing, is the quickest way to failure. If you're miserable, tired, hungry, whatever, you're not going to keep up with it. That's why we push SUSTAINABILITY. If you can sustain it over the longer term, be happy with it and feel good, you will reach your goals and healthily. That's what's realistic.
  • segovm
    Options

Also depends on what kind of exercise.

Someone starting out with 2 hours on a treadmill on the highest setting or 2 hours of HIIT - including burpees and stuff - would burn out faster than someone doing an hour of light cardio and an hour of walking or light strength training.

Totally agree. I ride my bike around every day for a few hours a day seven days a week, something I actually enjoy. I wouldn't be able to do even a fraction of that if I had to go hang out in a gym that whole time.