Protein

Options
How much protein are you supposed to have after working out? I'm talking about protein shakes, etc. I hear that it is good for you, but I have no idea where to start when it comes to taking protein supplements. Thanks!

Replies

• Caerith
    Caerith Posts: 15
    Options
    Your daily protein should be 1g per lb of your target weight.
  • Ervie317
    Ervie317 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    The girl at GNC that helped me when i bought my new thing of protein powder that 20-25g. She said that the survey size of the kind I bought gives you 60g but that your body can not absorb that much at one time. I am not sure that is right but that amount is good for me (20-25g).
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I second the 1g/ pound of goal weight. Running low on protein when working out is not a good thing...... it can damage your muscles.
    I take Body Fortress Super Whey Protein- and I really like it..... just an fyi.
  • hinesjared87
    Options

What the hell are you talking about
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    1 serving of protein powder supplement ought to do it. I make a shake after working out. I really like Biochem Sports 100% whey protein - vanilla flavor. I buy it from Amazon. It uses stevia for sweetener.

My favorite shake is a chocolate peanut butter shake:

1 scoop vanilla protein powder
    2 TB of PB2 (Bell Plantation's powdered peanut butter) - gives it a peanut butter taste and adds some fiber
    1 TB of Hershey's Cocoa powder (great source of antioxidants!)
    1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk (no sugar)

just mix in the blender for about 10 seconds and drink up! Fast and easy!

This shake has 205 calories, 18 gm carbs, 6 gm fat, 26 gm protein, 8 gm sugar, 318 mg of sodium. And it tastes SO GOOD!!!!
  • AmandaMonique
    Options
    Depending on your goals, you're recommended to have between 1 and 1.5 grams per pound you weigh.

And as for the whole 'your body can't digest that much protein' that is supposedly a myth. It isn't like a vitamin or mineral that has to be absorbed, it has to actually be broken down by the body so it's not just going to disappear if your body doesn't get to it in x amount of minutes.

This is just what i've researched, I'm training for a figure competition so I've been looking into this stuff a lot. I hope that helps!
  • Caerith
    Options

What the hell are you talking about

g = grams
    lb = pounds-mass

I know the "lb" thing is confusing at first but it's short for "libra" as in "libra pondo" which is Latin for "a pound weight."

The more you know.
  • Caerith
    Options
    Depending on your goals, you're recommended to have between 1 and 1.5 grams per pound you weigh.

And as for the whole 'your body can't digest that much protein' that is supposedly a myth. It isn't like a vitamin or mineral that has to be absorbed, it has to actually be broken down by the body so it's not just going to disappear if your body doesn't get to it in x amount of minutes.

This is just what i've researched, I'm training for a figure competition so I've been looking into this stuff a lot. I hope that helps!

Your body can digest it, but there are still drawbacks to getting too much protein. There are studies showing that excess protein puts stress on the kidneys and indirectly weakens the bones (to absorb protein, your body needs calcium; if your body doesn't have enough calcium to absorb all the protein, it takes calcium from the bones to do it). Stick to 1g/lb (of goal weight), and a range of 1.1g/lb to 1.4g/lb should be safe, but going over 1.5g/lb is excessive.

Remember, everything in moderation. When it comes to your body, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    "The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for both men and women (19 years and older) is 0.80 g of good-quality protein per kilogram of body weight per day and is based on careful analyses of available nitrogen balance studies (DRI, 2006). Data were insufficient to set a Tolerable Upper Intake Level (UL) for protein or amino acids. RDAs for protein increase at certain times during the lifespan. For example, protein RDAs for children are higher on a gram per bodyweight basis than for adults: ages 1 to 3 years, 1.05 g/kg/day; ages 4 to 13 years, 0.95 g/kg/day; ages 14 to 18 years, 0.85 g/kg/day. RDAs for protein also are increased in pregnancy (1.1 g/kg/day) and lactation (1.3 g/kg/day)."

From the FDA MyPyramid website.
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Woops doublepost.