Audiobook recommendations?

Options
I just came across the app OverDrive, in which I can rent audiobooks from the local library. I would like to try listening to an audiobook on my runs. Can anyone recommend a good one?

Replies

• atinystorminyourteacup
    Options
    I think it would really depend on the genre you like... I'm a big Harry Potter fan, so I like listening to those audio books a lot. I also like listening to books like the Hunger Games series. I've read all of the Hunger Games books, myself. Whatever you do choose, it will likely have to be fairly well known. In the case of my local library, the audiobooks available online are kind of few and far in between. Perhaps try to peruse the selection online?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm going with what MY library has: I loved the millennium trilogy (The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo etc.). I love running to james patterson books. Lots of those are in my library's catalogue. The Lincoln Lawyer and others in that series are good library check outs. Dan Brown's (DaVinci Code) books are fun on runs...
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I think it would really depend on the genre you like... I'm a big Harry Potter fan, so I like listening to those audio books a lot. I also like listening to books like the Hunger Games series. I've read all of the Hunger Games books, myself. Whatever you do choose, it will likely have to be fairly well known. In the case of my local library, the audiobooks available online are kind of few and far in between. Perhaps try to peruse the selection online?

I use Orange County Public Library, which is HUGE & luckily they have a large selection of audiobooks. I like Harry Potter too .. kind of into the girly stuff like Nicholas Sparks, but really open-minded to all genres.
  • blupanda12
    blupanda12 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you can listen to mp3s on your device, there's a site called Librivox that I use to get free audiobooks. It has lots of books that have been transferred to audio style by volunteers, all in the public domain in the US. There are many books in many different genres. Good luck!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I use Orange County Public Library, which is HUGE & luckily they have a large selection of audiobooks. I like Harry Potter too .. kind of into the girly stuff like Nicholas Sparks, but really open-minded to all genres.
    Try some of the James Patterson romances.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I like travelogues, because they don't have a plot, so if I zone out while listening to one, I don't usually miss crucial information. If you don't mind (or positively enjoy) curmudgeonliness, Paul Theroux's travel writing is good. Bill Bryson is also worth considering.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    bwogilvie wrote: »
    I like travelogues, because they don't have a plot, so if I zone out while listening to one, I don't usually miss crucial information. If you don't mind (or positively enjoy) curmudgeonliness, Paul Theroux's travel writing is good. Bill Bryson is also worth considering.
    My hubs loves Theroux. Good suggestion.
  • macshaggy
    Options
    If you like even a little Sci-Fi, or can't stand it but like fun satire, Red Shirts by John Scalzi is hilariously good. Though, it might have you laughing way too much. It's narrated by Wil Wheaton and he does a great job.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds
  • atinystorminyourteacup
    Options

I love girly stuff too! Although my mind is honestly drawing a blank to audiobooks for that genre... my library's selection isn't too huge. I might have to check out that Librivox site mentioned by another poster.
  • PowerfulHunt
    Options
    Thanks yal! I have a couple halfs coming up and this should keep my mind busy :smiley: I also checked out LibriVox; they have lots of good classics there .. like Dracula.
  • PowerfulHunt
    Options

So many James Pattersons to choose from! Started with 'The Mistress' .. LOL
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

So many James Pattersons to choose from! Started with 'The Mistress' .. LOL

fabulous. Hell, you could spend 2 years on patterson!
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    For murder mystery, go with P.D James. I haven't heard the audios, just read the books, but I know they are available in audio.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Oh and try Maeve Binchy.
  • skinnyEmilijah
    skinnyEmilijah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Anything by David Sedaris. If you have the sense of humor for him...
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    Cat Who... books by Lillian Jackson Braun.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Based on your interest in Nicholas Sparks I would recommend Jodi Picoult. Janet Evaonovich's Stephanie Plum (number books) are fun. J.D. Robb's futuristic murder mystery series is great.

Based on HP I would suggest the Divergent series.

Have fun!
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you like...Works by Anne McAffrey, Julie E. Czerneda, Harry Potter Series or Hunger Games, Hedge Knight, Age of Five Trilogy, the Ender books...
  • Loluka88
    Loluka88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Yes! I love audio books when I'm working out. I'm using OverDrive as well and I'm currently listening to "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It's a kind of apocalyptic type. I haven't gotten very far but it's been interesting.