Constantly Thirsty

Options
menjivas
menjivas Posts: 124 Member
Has anyone had a constant thirsty feeling? I've been drinking about 10+ cups of water every single day, but I am always thirsty and I wake up with a sore throat/dry mouth ever morning. Anyone know what's causing this? I am consuming a bit more sodium than usual, but nothing that would cause such a thirst. I've changed my workout routine as well. Any ideas out there?

Replies

• MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Have you been checked for diabetes? Or your thyroid?
  • promiseskept
    Options
    That was the sign of diabetes for me!
  • liz11599
    liz11599 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I was going to ask about diabetes myself. Also, do you have a dry mouth feeling all the time? THere are some medications that cause dry mouth and there are products out there that can combat dry mouth.
  • Irish_Norwegian
    Options
    Excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes. Talk with your doctor about what's going on.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should get checked for diabetes.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I see you're a runner!

If it's gotten warm and/or humid lately or your runs are getting longer, then that could cause more thirst.

Sodium will do it too.

Do you have any seasonal allergies? Breathing through your mouth will also make you thirstier.

So will an increase in alcohol consumption.

Increasing your protein intake can cause more thirst too.

But the others are right--excessive thirst can also be a sign of diabetes, so if none of the other options seem to fit, it would be good to see your doctor.
  • menjivas
    Options
    I had my annual physical about four months ago and all my levels, including sugar, were normal or slightly below. Nothing has really changed since then to make me think that I would have diabetes. There is no history of diabetes in my family either.
  • Eskimopie
    Eskimopie Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am too...I drink like 20 glasses of water a day! I just got my blood sugar checked and no diabetes...my thyroid is under active though. Have you had that checked?

My doctor also said that my body could just be used to drinking so much, and now expects it. Which won't hurt me, but is sure annoying.
  • menjivas
    Options
    I see you're a runner!

If it's gotten warm and/or humid lately or your runs are getting longer, then that could cause more thirst.

Sodium will do it too.

Do you have any seasonal allergies? Breathing through your mouth will also make you thirstier.

So will an increase in alcohol consumption.

Increasing your protein intake can cause more thirst too.

But the others are right--excessive thirst can also be a sign of diabetes, so if none of the other options seem to fit, it would be good to see your doctor.

I hadn't thought about that! It's gotten super hot and humid here. Last Saturday, I had to stop my run because the sun was beating so hard on me! I also breathe through my mouth (allergies) and I've also reduced my carb consumption and increased my protein intake. Thanks for that information!
  • menjivas
    Options
    I am too...I drink like 20 glasses of water a day! I just got my blood sugar checked and no diabetes...my thyroid is under active though. Have you had that checked?

My doctor also said that my body could just be used to drinking so much, and now expects it. Which won't hurt me, but is sure annoying.

I haven't had my thyroid checked, but I know my sister has an under active thyroid. I'll make an appointment with my doctor soon just to make sure it's okay. Thanks!
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    my hubby has type 1 diabetes and the only sign was weight loss and that he was always thirsty. He was at the doctor only 6 months before being diagnosed and he was fine. worth checking out again.

Myself, when I am SOOOO thirsty, is when I have eaten way too much salt.
  • Crystal_Rudolph
    Crystal_Rudolph Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Since I gave up the pop and only drink water--I am constantly thirsty too. It is to the point where I have a dry mouth all the time. I drink at least 96oz of water during the day. So have been chewing gum all the time to help combat the dry mouth feeling. Maybe that would help you too???