Taking Meaurements/Smaller Upper Arms

Options
I'm not sure I'm measuring my hips properly. Do I go from the thickest part of my butt or the farthest jutting point of my thighs? If I went from the latter, it wouldn't include my butt at all.

I'm also trying to reduce my upper arm size (above my bicep), but it's increasing. What exercise helps with this? It seems I'm reducing flab, but gaining size in muscle. Maybe I'm just being vain.

Replies

• philwrightfitness
    Options
    I usually take hips to mean where your hip bones jut out. I don't understand your reference to your arms do you mean that the top of your arms / shoulder is flabby?
  • VitalStrong
    VitalStrong Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks philwrightfitness. Yeah, the top of my arms are flabby—but quickly improving. When I work out, I end up with bigger upper arms—not the cut above my biceps that I want. The only time I got that look is when I was a karate student. Is this just genetics?
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You can't decide where to lose fat from, it just happens. You can attempt to increase muscle size in that area if you want... but you can't spot reduce.
  • VitalStrong
    VitalStrong Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks TheReloader.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    You can't decide where to lose fat from, it just happens. You can attempt to increase muscle size in that area if you want... but you can't spot reduce.

This is true , if you want to ditch the flab on your arms you will have to do it all over I'm afraid, yes genetics will determine where you are predisposed to hold fat and where you will lose it quickest etc as will your sex. However increasing muscle mass also reduces fat percentage, so although you can't spot reduce fat you can , to a small extent , spot increase your muscle gains, so a routine that emphasises arms and shoulders may improve the overall look of that area if that's what you desire