What do you think of milk?

Options
I hate protein shakes as they are so sweet so have been making my own using milk and peanut butter mainly, with cinnamon banana and cocoa powder sometimes. Weighing it etc so I know how much I am having.

However I know some people are against milk? What do you think? I know it is a good source of protein.

I know it's all about calories in being less than calories out for weight loss, but I also want to be healthy

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Why are people against milk?
  • RosieLoo24
    RosieLoo24 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with including milk in a diet, particularly low fat or skim milk, and also if you have no other sources of calcium in the diet :)
  • whilehesaway
    Options
    I don't know a huge amount about it, but have been told not to have too much by Personal Trainers, and have read in other training books that they don't think it's good for you? Just starting thinking about why when I started making these shakes because they taste so much nicer and more natural.

I know some people are lactose intolerant, but that's obviously not what I mean as that's a personal thing rather than general rule :)
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Not sure why I'd be against milk! I have it every morning with my oatmeal and throughout the day in my tea and coffee. I do use lactose-reduced milk because I tend to be a bit sensitive to it, but I like it as a way to get some protein in. And it tastes good.
  • RosieLoo24
    RosieLoo24 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've heard a few different things about milk, for example that low fat or skim milk is worse for a diet than full fat? I, for one, can't see why that would be true, but it's just something I've heard
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's wrong with milk or dairy in general unless of course you're lactose intolerant. And I'd rather have actual milk in my coffee than some sort of artificial creamer or other dodgy substitute.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I drink milk but usually whole and unpasteurized. Milk is better fresh.
    We live next to a farm, so this is easy.
    Ignore the dimwits against milk.
  • BenjaminS_Fitness
    BenjaminS_Fitness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I like 0.1% fat milk for smoothies and cereal.
    3.5% milk is pretty hard to fit in a diet for a lot of people, maybe that's why it has a bad reputation.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I like 0.1% fat milk for smoothies and cereal.
    3.5% milk is pretty hard to fit in a diet for a lot of people, maybe that's why it has a bad reputation.

Difference in calories very little to be honest
  • whilehesaway
    Options
    Awesome thanks guys!! I can get almost as much protein from a shake with milk and natural peanut butter (Meridian has no palm oil!!) as I would from a protein shake. And also I can never finish the protein shake because I think it's so horrible.

So good to know you all think it's pretty alright!

I just kept getting told to avoid dairy. Not a vegan thing, just avoiding milk and yoghurt etc.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I <3 milk, full fat all the way :) I just don't go overboard with it. I also like almond milk and coconut milk too so sometimes I will have those instead as and when I feel like it.
  • lillyrose2020
    lillyrose2020 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I love milk, I have it everyday. With my cereal and a glass before bed. I can only drink skimmed and I just find others too creamy. But I could not cope without milk!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I am kind of grossed out by milk and don't like the taste of it, plus the casein (milk protein) in it bugs my stomach - but I love cheese (the amount of casein diminishes the further away you get from the original milk state, so the more firm and aged the better). I use almond milk if I want a milk-like liquid. (*)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't like milk because I don't like drinking my calories. The rare times I make shakes, I use almond milk. The only times I actually use milk is a couple ounces in my coffee if I want more of a treat, or in recipes.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Something not often mentioned about skimmed milk products is that the iodine is lost. Why does this matter? Because iodine and selenium as well as other minerals support the thyroid which in turns supports most of our hormonal systems, some in association with other organs. Heaven forbid anyone starts with thyroid related problems, especially in the UK or Europe treatment is back in the dark ages here, mostly treating to flawed numbers not symptoms. Anyway there are something like 300 conditions which can be related to the low thyroid state some of them are more obscure which means your symptoms are most likely to be totally disregarded or just treated for depression. Allergies or seeming problems with various foods can come back to the thyroid though one UK endocrinologist told me "I do not do allergies" but he does do toxins.

There are other places iodine can be found like in fish, but not for vegetarians, goat milk is lower in calories and higher in iodine and other minerals, it has a much lighter taste. Some veggies and fruits do have iodine in them but not good for a Salicylate Sensitive person, back to the elimination function of the darned thyroid.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    Can't see any reason why milk would be bad for health at all OP.

Yes I know lactose intolerant people can't tolerate it and vegans wouldn't drink it - but unless you have a health issue or an ethical objection ( and seems you have neither) then as long as you fit it in your calorie allowance it is fine.
  • whilehesaway
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Something not often mentioned about skimmed milk products is that the iodine is lost. Why does this matter? Because iodine and selenium as well as other minerals support the thyroid which in turns supports most of our hormonal systems, some in association with other organs. Heaven forbid anyone starts with thyroid related problems, especially in the UK or Europe treatment is back in the dark ages here, mostly treating to flawed numbers not symptoms. Anyway there are something like 300 conditions which can be related to the low thyroid state some of them are more obscure which means your symptoms are most likely to be totally disregarded or just treated for depression. Allergies or seeming problems with various foods can come back to the thyroid though one UK endocrinologist told me "I do not do allergies" but he does do toxins.

There are other places iodine can be found like in fish, but not for vegetarians, goat milk is lower in calories and higher in iodine and other minerals, it has a much lighter taste. Some veggies and fruits do have iodine in them but not good for a Salicylate Sensitive person, back to the elimination function of the darned thyroid.

That's really interesting. I thought for a while I might have a thyroid problem as I had to have my gallbladder taken out (even though I wasn't overweight) and there's a link between them. And I have random symptoms like putting on weight even when not eating a great deal (i know, I'm sure everyone says this) and hard to lose weight once I'd put it on, and also a scalloped tongue! But the doctors we see are not very nice when you try and bring up what you think might be wrong with you, they think you are hypercondriach, so in an attempt not to be seen as such I just haven't brought it up! Silly I know.

I'll keep an eye on iodine then. Is it included in multi vitamins? As I was thinking of taking them.

Can't see any reason why milk would be bad for health at all OP.

Yes I know lactose intolerant people can't tolerate it and vegans wouldn't drink it - but unless you have a health issue or an ethical objection ( and seems you have neither) then as long as you fit it in your calorie allowance it is fine.

Thanks!! :) I know there's nothing wrong with the protein supplements but it feels much nicer to just drink milk, so that's good to hear. I don't have either objections so sounds like I'll keep going with the milk :)
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    To whilehesaway. Please read from the site Stop the Thyroid Madness it is US based but the information is good. Also make use of your national thyroid site. By the way we only need a small amount half a teaspoon of iodine over a life time so please look into the information because too much can cause different problems.
  • whilehesaway
    Options
    To whilehesaway. Please read from the site Stop the Thyroid Madness it is US based but the information is good. Also make use of your national thyroid site. By the way we only need a small amount half a teaspoon of iodine over a life time so please look into the information because too much can cause different problems.

Oh OK great thank you :) I will read them. Thyroid idea was something that used to just niggle at me, but then I figured if I get up and do more exercise (6 days a week now) and eat more regularly but healthy then I'll probably see some results - and if I don't then i'll think harder about why this could be, but I really am going to give it my all for now and take responsibility! :)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Iodine is not really a problem because most table salt varieties (at least where I live) are fortified with it, and goat milk is actually higher in calories.