foods/meals that are low in protein

Options
Hi all, totally underestimating how much protien should be in my diet, im going way over everyday, i eat alot of chicken as I do not eat beef, pork lamb etc. any ideas?? x

Replies

• blakjac6
    blakjac6 Posts: 41
    Options
    haha just check out my diary, i am waaaaay under
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I went vegan for this very reason. I have to reduce my protein due to kidney stones and could not have an egg white omelet in the morning and meat for dinner. Take a look at my diary for some ideas. No meat and no dairy are big ones for me. I use almond milk which is very low in protein, as are coconut milk yogurt products.
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    hmmmm by way over do you mean 2-3x over? Going over in protein is not a bad thing and does not damage anything that I am aware of unless of course you are having a million g's a day or have a medical issue. :glasses:
  • Tissues
    Tissues Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I always go over in protein too, but my workouts are fueled by protien, so I try not to stress it too much.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    As a vegetarian I am usually way under on protein. How about more things like risottos, pastas, stir fries?
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. For a while I was ALWAYS going over on protein, but I've been getting better.

I read that protein in the morning is far more important than at night. I know, it's really hard not to have chicken with lunch or dinner... but try getting your protein in the morning and then skipping meat/cheese at lunch. That's where it really makes the difference! Then have some at night with your dinner to keep you full till the next day :)

I usually have turkey sausage for breakfast, then some healthy junk for lunch, and then I still have enough protein for dinner to have a chicken breast. (Okay, so sometimes I am still like.. 5-10 over :) )
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are your daily protein goals set to? Did you just take the MFP default?

I aim to get 100g a day and struggle to meet that! But I also know that - especially if your trying to build muscle - its hard to have too much protein.

So, my question is- why exactly are you stressing about your protein?
  • stacey_jane
    stacey_jane Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My daily allowance is 45 - To be honest I am not really sure I know much about protein - just I am way over everyday and I guess i am seeing that as a bad thing. Some of the comments above have given me some ideas, I shall do a bit more reading! :)
  • stacey_jane
    Options
    oo didn't think of risottos might make one this weekend :) thanks! I did consider going vegetarian but I eat too much fish! xx
  • stacey_jane
    Options
    no no medical issue :) I am usually 2 x over, but I have been working out a bit more lately and intend to keep that up. So its not too bad then if I am over? I am under or on target for everything else!

Thanks for your reply btw :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    45 is really low! I wouldn't worry about going over that amount. It's hard to have "too much" protein.

And have a look at the different combinations of carbs/protein/fat that are options. I prefer to get more calories from protein than from carbs, but that's just what works for me.
  • stacey_jane
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, puts my mind at rest! I will try your tips, obvioudly worked well for you! well done on your weight loss :)
  • stacey_jane
    Options
    Thanks I shall have a look :) x
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like eating more protein - it keeps me feeling fuller for longer! I have a 45% carb/ 25% protein/ 30% fat goal set for my diary, so eating 1430 cals/day gives me 89g of protein. Some people find they work best on a 40/30/30 ratio, which gives even more protein.

MFP's default is 15% protein, I think, which seemed super low to me. So far my ratio has been working well, and I will probably up my protein even more when I get back to lifting weights. :)

I think it's only an issue if you have kidney issues, or if you're going way way over (like 80% of your diet is protein, or something). Good luck!