Sweet potatoes?

Options
Any different ways to make sweet potatoes?

I usually peel and slice them, put a little bit of oil, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pepper and bake them.

Replies

• newbeautifulme
    Options
    Recently I made this but used blue cheese instead of feta and it was great!
    http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2010/06/recipe-for-grilled-sweet-potato-salad.html
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    i add plain greek yogurt and brown sugar to mine...yummy!
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    A friend sent me this. Let me know how you like it.

I assume sweet potatoes, baked, are on your safe list. For a really interesting flavor bump, and it sounds weird at first, try baking them off and then grating some orange zest over them and mixing it in with a little brown sugar. Huge blast of flavor and no bad stuff added. Thought I'd throw it out there, hope you enjoy.
  • jeseka619
    jeseka619 Posts: 21
    Options
    We just tried this recipe last night on the grill and it was AWESOME! I just used less salt because we are watching our salt intake. You can play with the spice/heat in it too - i didn't have what the recipe called for so I used some paprika, red pepper flakes and cumin mixed in with the other ingrediants. The little bit of heat, mixed in with lime and cilantro - YUM!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/grilled-sweet-potatoes-with-lime-and-cilantro-recipe/index.html
  • amarch12
    amarch12 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you toss them in an egg whites before you bake them in the oven it helps them to get really crispy just like sweet potato fries!
    I saw it on the cooking channel and tried it...pretty yummy!

:)
  • verjavec
    verjavec Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to dice them and then steam until squishy. Then I add a smidge of olive oil and diced chicken breasts (about 4 breasts per large sweet potato) and garlic pepper and cook on med-high heat until the chicken is cooked through. YUM!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Bake them. Add some spray butter, a little salt and just a little bit of stevia. TO DIE FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I slice mine up, toss in a little bit of oil, and sprinkle with salt, rosemary and thyme. I place them on a cookie sheet and bake at 325 for about 40 minutes. SOoooo good!
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I cooked one (washed and pricked) in the microwave at lunch time today. 3 minutes, till it was squishy.

Ate it like an apple, skin and all. Delicious and no added sugar or fat.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of yams, generally. Especially when they're baked, then layered with butter and sugar... Too sweet, too mushy, just not my thing. However, I just ate an entire yam after making it into oven fries: the best breakfast splurge ever (though surprisingly calorific, I'm stuffed, contented, and swear my eyesight's improved!)

Just cut into fries, tossed in a bag with a little (1.5 tsp) oil, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and garlic, then baked on a cookie sheet at 425 until the backs of the potatoes were browned a little.

Not crunchy, but not the formless mush of my mom and grandmother's sweet potato casseroles....and as a side dish for a fried egg, it would be amazingly good.

I think I've got a weekend splurge to share with my family.
  • elizabethann25
    Options
    Toss them in light zesty Italian dressing before you stick them in the oven, and almost when they are done, sprinkle parm cheese on top... I'm not one for Italian dressing, but this makes them taste GREAT!! (you can do the same with white potatoes too btw)
  • SlipperySlope
    Options
    I also wash and slice them, toss w/ a little olive oil. Then at the end, sprinkle a liiiiiiittle bit of parmesean cheese on them, and bake until it's melted--about 3 minutes. Delicious!
  • anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    OMG...I made this the other night and it was unbelievably awesome!! Do NOT skip grilling the green onions! The flavor is great!

Bobby Flay's Grilled Sweet Potato and Scallion Salad

Ingredients

4 large sweet potatoes, par-cooked and cut into 1/2-inch slices
    8 scallions
    3/4 cup(s) olive oil
    2 tablespoon(s) Dijon mustard
    1/2 cup(s) cider vinegar
    1/2 cup(s) balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoon(s) honey
    salt and freshly ground pepper
    1/4 cup(s) (chopped) flat-leaf parsley
    Directions

Preheat grill to high. Brush sweet potatoes and scallions with 1/4 cup oil and arrange on grill. Grill potatoes for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until just tender. Grill scallions until softened and grill-marked, about 2 minutes. Remove scallions and cut into thin slices.
    In a large bowl, whisk remaining 1/2 cup olive oil with the mustard, vinegars and honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Add potatoes, scallions and parsley, and toss until potatoes are well coated. Transfer to a platter and serve.
  • ksharon22
    ksharon22 Posts: 111
    Options
    I just bought some sweet potatoes this weekend after having them at a friends house recently...excited to see all these ideas!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    cut them in cubes and boil them with an apple also cut into cubes then mash them together when soft. You can also do this by boiling the sweet potatoes then adding apple sauce, but the texture isnt as good. Add a little cinnamon too if you like.:smile: