A sure way to succeed on MFP

Options
xShreddx
xShreddx Posts: 127 Member
This is my second time around on MFP. The first time I lost 27 pounds but couldn't stick with it and gained 19 pounds back. This time, I've lost 37 pounds since May and know I will hit my goal and will also maintain by continuing to track what I eat.

So what's the difference between these two experiences? MFP friends. The first time, I didn't care to have friends on MFP. This time, I tried putting myself out there and have friends this time.

The reason having MFP friends helps is all the praise you get when you are under your calorie goal, lose weight or have a success story of staying away from bad food when it was tough. Additionally, all the advice you can see on here and all of the amazing inspiring success so many people are having is amazing. Lastly, and probably most importantly, the encouragement when you mess up is vital too.

Please take it from me, having active/engaged MFP friends can be a huge part of your success. Just thought I'd share and by the way...feel free to add me!

Replies

• ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Honestly I did the same thing. I was doing this for months before I engaged in any forum activities or added any "friends". I will say though that there have been times when I've been struggling and a notification will pop up in my feed that xxxx completed xxxx minutes of exercise and burned xxxx calories and I just think "yeah, my excuses are invalid". It definitely helps.
  • Maquillage_
    Maquillage_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience. First time round I didn't have friends and would give up! I'd stop logging foods, or just be lazy about it. But this time round I have so many friends and I take part in the forums, and I'm succeeding. :) The support makes such a huge difference!
  • MitoMan1
    MitoMan1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's great to see there are some people who share the same story as me. Some of my failures have been from physical/medical issues. Now that I'm back, I totally see the value of friends on here. I have added you all.
  • mariluny
    mariluny Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I agree. Having support really helps, even giving support will make you want to come back just to know how your friend are doing.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    Having MFP friends makes me feel more accountable...and I enjoy the interactions I have with people, and the support and motiviation I've receive is invaluable :smile:

That being said, I've been 'unfriended' by folks for not personally interacting with them enough.
  • mlyn627
    mlyn627 Posts: 104 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Same thing happened to me the first time I tried to loose with MFP. I didn't see the point of adding friends. This is now my 32nd day and my longest streak ever, so it definitely helped me to have friends!
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I agree completely! Watching friends reach milestones really inspires me! Hearing "great job" or "nice day of logging" helps me to stay motivated! Great post!
  • HipsterWhovian
    HipsterWhovian Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Most definitely agree. The friends aspect of MFP is the best way to keep going when you're feeling down and discouraged.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    samething, people have stopped interacting with me and I gave up and gained what I lost plus a little some back. Now I'm close to breaking the 40 pound barrier and I have friends who interact with each other. If anyone wants to add me to their friend list to support each other, please do
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I agree - when you feel like 'nobody is watching, nobody cares' we don't care enough for ourselves... silly human trait.
    - Glad so many are on to this!
  • powerpigeon
    Options
    MFP friends keep you accountable for sure. "I can't not log today, someone will notice..."
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    friends help me when i'm struggling. Otherwise its just a matter of helping me stay focused. I wouldn't do it if i had a busier life.
  • jbse26
    jbse26 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I agree, I lost 40 lbs with no friends or community posts , then put back on 56lbs! As soon as the weight loss stalled I gave up. I have lost 41lbs since May, losing 40 of it in the 5 months May-September. I am currently at the stage where i want to give up again.But this time having friends has made me stick with it although I have only lost 1 lb over the last four weeks- anyone else hit a low point at 6 months in? :\
  • INSPIRE_SELF
    Options
    Same here this is my second time on here and having friends indeed does help. Well active friends that is
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    jbse26 wrote: »
    I agree, I lost 40 lbs with no friends or community posts , then put back on 56lbs! As soon as the weight loss stalled I gave up. I have lost 41lbs since May, losing 40 of it in the 5 months May-September. I am currently at the stage where i want to give up again.But this time having friends has made me stick with it although I have only lost 1 lb over the last four weeks- anyone else hit a low point at 6 months in? :\

I did for sure. But I still had a lot to lose so I had to just take a deep breath and remember why I was doing it. I literally took it one meal at a time and just tried to get through each day and then get through the next one and so on until I got some momentum back.

I'm struggling again right now as well - I've been dealing with a back injury for a week now which has been a challenge and also, just trying to maintain motivation after losing 100lbs. I put 2.5lbs back on last week which was disheartening. It's tough but I'm not going to quit. Going to try to get back to the gym tomorrow even if it's just light workouts. I need to set a new goal - being sort of aimless after reaching my initial goal was dangerous.