Eating disorders

Options
Hi,

I'm new here but have noticed a few posts around eating disorders on the boards. I know that this type of site will probably attract people with ED and maybe a place to discuss these issues might help.

I've suffered with various ED since I was a teenager. I was diagnosed with anorexia in retrospect by my shrink, since then I have suffered for binge eating disorder and more recently a non purging type of bulimia (I am also bipolar!). I am currently 'recovering' and watching calories to slowly loose a bit of weight. I am also aware that this could be a tipping point for me, going to take a lot of energy keeping this healthy. My shrink told me that having an ED is a thing for life, chances are even when you are eating healthily food will always be a bit of an issue.

I just hope that talking and sharing might help others and keep us all on the right track :)

Replies

• HalfofHilary
    Options
    I just wanted to say Welcome to MFP. I admire you and give you big hugs for your strength in your struggle and fighting the forever hole of an ED!!
  • shtefie
    shtefie Posts: 32
    Options
    Good luck with your ED. It takes guts to tackle these things head on, and I hope that using this site, and the support it brings will really help you in your fight.
  • Britt22706
    Options
    I am also recovering from an ED...well a couple actually...
    I had bulimia in high school and then after I stopped that I started emotionally eating and binging minus the purging. I would just basically black out while I would go on eating rampages. Whenever I saw food that I wanted, it was the only thing I could keep in my mind, and I felt nervous until I ate it...most of the time all of whatever it was.

Anyway, now I'm counting my calories to loose some weight as well, the healthy way, along with working out! I'm trying to form a healthy relationship with food, I don't want it to be my enemy anymore :smile:
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    we are all with you.. im also one who has suffered from ED.s bulimia, binge eating, and all that. but now mainly binge eating is what i been suffering from. I know you can do this and get past it. Your on the right track, reaching out is the first step and there are such wonderful people here that will help you work through it.

I have high hopes for you!! you will do great
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm incredibly similar to you. Past anorexia, bit of bulimia (mostly a typical binge fast sub type), now EDNOS, bursts of overeating, bursts of starving, throwing up, over exercising etc. Have cyclothymia (mild bipolar essentially). All good fun!

Hope you find this site helpful. Think it's making me more obsessive but hey!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Good luck with you struggle!:heart:
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Glad that you are here for support, this is a thing for life, and a struggle, but with a good support system it can be done♥ you are definitely not alone....
    Be well, and good luck to you♥
  • ashleymcquown
    Options
    Bulemia, BED, Depression, Anxiety...you name it, i've been there. I also worried about triggering old habits on here (restricting, obsessively counting calories, overexercising, etc). is there a support group on here for those struggling with or recovering from an ED?
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    i'm right there with ya. past history is not-so-healthy. trying to focus on being healthy now and not obsessing.

i think we should all friend each other :)
  • kittytompsett
    Options
    Thats so true about the complete button, I got a telling off yesterday coz I came in with an unhealthy reduction in calories. I felt really proud of myself, not good. I had a slice of toast to tip me into the 'ok' amount to be under.
  • Lotuser
    Lotuser Posts: 9
    Options
    An ed forum would be great! I'm a struggling bulimic. I hate it and want it out of my life but it won't leave. I've done lax, binging and purging, starving, over exercising.

I have purged in a lot of public toilets late at night so I am no where near anyone, which is so dangerous.

A support group would be awesome cause I wanna get over it and help others too! I'm full of great advice, I just don't take it on myself.
  • DancingYogini
    Options
    Thats so true about the complete button, I got a telling off yesterday coz I came in with an unhealthy reduction in calories. I felt really proud of myself, not good. I had a slice of toast to tip me into the 'ok' amount to be under.
    I didn't hit my "complete" button today, and I try to do this every few days. It helps avoid trying to get the numbers under the "healthy" amount, which also gives me a unhealthy thrill. I have never been officially diagnosed, but have always had a weird relationship with food and control over what I put in my body. Right now I am trying to find the right balance, because I truly just want to be healthy and in charge of my life. You are very brave for posting this, and I do believe an ED (whatever form it may take) support group would be a positive in a lot of people's lives. :flowerforyou:
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    ive stopped pressing complete too. I was finding it really triggering
  • bigmamma3
    bigmamma3 Posts: 134
    Options
    I thought i was the only one who felt that way about getting that message up. I got upset the other day when it didn't show up and i don't even have a ed
  • jlbay
    jlbay Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I suffered from an eating disorder as a teen and struggled through recovery while in college. Having an ED was one of the most frustrating and difficult things I've ever had to deal with.

I just want to encourage anyone suffering from an ED to not give up hope. I found it very distressing when doctors told me that I would never be "cured." Maybe I took it the wrong way. Maybe they thought it was helpful. It felt like a jail sentence.

So, for me, there was hope and life after anorexia. Things aren't perfect, but I am nowhere near where I was 15 years ago. It took a lot of therapy and work, but I don't consider myself to be anorexic anymore, no one does. My heart breaks for anyone suffering through this terrible disease. I sincerely wish you love, hope and peace in this journey.
  • annarface
    annarface Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm 'recovered'/in recovery. I eat a healthy amount now but I still have a messed up mindset around food and that sort of thing.