Have certain foods ever surprised you with their calorie content? Good or bad?

Options

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Months ago, Target was doing samples of one bite cupcakes. Popped ine down, later check: 180 cals! It was one bite!
  • ShortMrsN
    ShortMrsN Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I first started logging (on my old account) I nearly died when I found out the calorie count of Couscous :( I love it, and was making big roast vege or fresh vege salads with it and having them for lunch everyday.....until I started logging!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Months ago, Target was doing samples of one bite cupcakes. Popped ine down, later check: 180 cals! It was one bite!

Haha yeah. Those mini 2 bites pies from Trader Joe's... 170 calories.

For me it's just been sweets, pretty much. So many calories for something that doesn't fill you up at all :( Except caramels, which I really expected to have way more calories than they do.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Soft pretzels at 400 calories each. Auugghhh!!! I'd have to give up a meal to eat one... so I don't.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    FatOldBat wrote: »
    Flour, plain old all-purpose flour about 460 calories per cup! Certainly changed my whole outlook on bread, cereals, crackers and whatnot. However, at the overripe age of 60, it's still a challenge for me to find satiatian with a pile of kale.

LOL @ kale and at the "overripe" old age of 63, I totally agree. I was pretty surprised by serving sizes and calories in general when I began on MFP 31 months ago. Nothing much surprises me anymore after over 2-1/2 years on MFP and reading labels. But, I am still constantly putting things back on the shelf because of calorie content. It takes me a lot longer to grocery shop now.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    I was pleasantly surprised at how much cheese 1 oz. seems like when it's shredded over something vs. just nibbling on a 1 oz. hunk o'cheese.
  • jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yup, this morning! I made up this recipe for homemade nutella with only good for you ingredients. I thought it would still be super high in calories, but only 42cal per tablespoon!! Yay!!
  • get_it_grrl
    Options
    I was shocked to find how many calories are in my delicious coffee creamer. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO LIVE WITHOUT IT??? :neutral_face:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Watermelon. Who knew an extra sweet treat, and a fruit, has so few calories?
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I had a sandwich at Denny's a couple months ago it was pretty simple turkey and bacon with spinach and a sundried tomato mayo type sauce. 720 calories for a tiny sandwich. I was so sad afterward, becasue I was still hungry, but had no calories left for dinner. Since then, unless it is a cheat day, I always go online first to find out nutrition before ordering. But the calories for veggies also surprised me in the begining, so much food for so few calories
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    I had a sandwich at Denny's a couple months ago it was pretty simple turkey and bacon with spinach and a sundried tomato mayo type sauce. 720 calories for a tiny sandwich. I was so sad afterward, becasue I was still hungry, but had no calories left for dinner. Since then, unless it is a cheat day, I always go online first to find out nutrition before ordering. But the calories for veggies also surprised me in the begining, so much food for so few calories

Veggies are the other way around for me actually. I always thought they were so low calorie, but I find a serving pretty small for 35 calories (carrots, broccoli etc).
  • 3Alice3
    3Alice3 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Flapjacks (I'm from the uk, so I don't mean pancakes :P) !! I used to eat one nearly every single day, and they are my favourite food - turns out it was nearly 400 cals for that one bar. Every. day.

I do miss them though.
  • ashdawg8790
    ashdawg8790 Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    jvs125 wrote: »
    Yup, this morning! I made up this recipe for homemade nutella with only good for you ingredients. I thought it would still be super high in calories, but only 42cal per tablespoon!! Yay!!

RECIPE?!?!?!?!?!?!
  • DeadsAndDoritos
    DeadsAndDoritos Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I was surprised how low calorie potatoes are. They get such a bad press, but you get good value for your cals.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The first day I started counting I went to Sonic for a small shake...over 800 calories!! That day was totally shot! LOL. Now if I have a shake craving I make it at home so I know what goes in it and it's only half the calories if that.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    FatOldBat wrote: »
    Flour, plain old all-purpose flour about 460 calories per cup! Certainly changed my whole outlook on bread, cereals, crackers and whatnot. However, at the overripe age of 60, it's still a challenge for me to find satiatian with a pile of kale.

LOL @ kale and at the "overripe" old age of 63, I totally agree. I was pretty surprised by serving sizes and calories in general when I began on MFP 31 months ago. Nothing much surprises me anymore after over 2-1/2 years on MFP and reading labels. But, I am still constantly putting things back on the shelf because of calorie content. It takes me a lot longer to grocery shop now.

I too end up spending more time at the grocery store because of labels, but for me it's also the carb, protein and sodium content.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Oreo Ice Cream Sandwiches, in the multipack. They are amazing! (and only 110 calories)
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    sucampbeN wrote: »
    I was surprised how low calorie potatoes are. They get such a bad press, but you get good value for your cals.

I totally agree!! My husband came home one day with a container of microwave potatoes from The Little Potato Company and I gave him a hard time over it. They were like an Italian Blend or something. Nowhere on the front of the package did it advertise low cal. But when I flipped it over, I read it was only 85 calories per serving, and I found a single serving (approx 6 small potatoes) to be very satiating as a side dish.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    ShortMrsN wrote: »
    When I first started logging (on my old account) I nearly died when I found out the calorie count of Couscous :( I love it, and was making big roast vege or fresh vege salads with it and having them for lunch everyday.....until I started logging!!

It's 145 cals per 50g (dried weight) or 92g (cooked weight) serving??? And 92g cooked weight is quite a lot of couscous. If I'm sticking veggies in for a salad I'd get two servings out of that.

http://groceries.asda.com/asda-webstore/landing/home.shtml?cmpid=ahc-_-ghs-sna1-_-asdacom-dsk-_-hp#/product/56941672

If anything I was shocked by how LOW calorie couscous is. If I can get a large portion of salad with feta, and veg pan fried in olive oil, in it for only 277 cals then it's going in the "holy *kitten* is it only that much?!" pile.

WRT "holy hell why so high?!" pile. Turkish delight. Like, I know why it's so high. I get it. But when I make my own and cut it into 40 little squares and THOSE are still 40+ cal each it makes me sad (ditto fudge)