Beginner's strength training routine/ equipment/ how to start?

Options
Stats:

5'6

154lbs / 11st

Size 12

Age 19

Hello,

I'm in a healthy weight range (just) although I still consider myself overweight, yet I feel I would be more comfortable with my own body if I could focus on body re composition. I have very little muscle, and quite a lot of fat and I would love to switch these two around haha!

I've heard that strength training is the best way to do this however I have absolutely no clue where to start, or even how to start.

Any advice/tips/ beginner's routines you can suggest would be really gratefully received!

Thank you :) Annie

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you can, i suggest you get a personal trainer for a few sessions. He/She can show you good exercises to do and make sure your form is correct.

If that isn't feasible, New Rules of Lifting for Women is a great beginner's program. You can buy the book on Amazon. (I followed this program for a few months before moving onto Stronglifts 5x5. I saw great strength gains on this program.)

A more advanced program is Stronglifts 5x5. You can download an app for it. It's a heavy lifting program that uses 5 basic moves (squats, bench press, barbell row, deadlifts, and overhead press). I currently follow this program and add in some accessory lifts (bicep and tricep work, etc.). I've had even better strength gains on this program. I'm lifting more now than I believed I ever would.

There are also a bunch of great programs on bodybuilding.com. You can input your gender, body goal (gain muscle, lose fat, transform), and your level (beginner, intermediate, advanced), and get a program based on that. Most of their programs are 6-12 weeks long. Jamie Eason's programs are pretty good, though I haven't followed any of them. I have looked through a few of them and they seem pretty solid.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I like Starting Strength as a program for beginners, because the book does an extremely good job on covering form and mechanics. Its not a lot different from Stronglifts. If you don't want to join a gym and you want to build more of a combination of strength and stamina then P90X is good. After a couple rounds of that you will need to probably join a gym though.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Another good option if you don't have access to much equipment is "you are your own gym" or "convict conditioning"
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    A few beginner routines and equipment you may need:

Free Weights
    - Stronglifts 5x5 - barbell*
    - Starting Strength - barbell* and pull-up bar
    - NROLFW - barbell, dumbbells, exercise ball, cable system (though there are some alternate exercises that can be done w/out the cables.)
    - All Pro's simple beginner routine - barbell*
    - A Workout Routine (beginner) - barbell*
    *many barbell lifts can be done with dumbbells but at a certain point it becomes impractical/difficult to progress without a barbell

Bodyweight
    - Nerd Fitness beginner bodyweight - some sort of weight (dumbbell, jug of water, bag of books, etc.)
    - YAYOG - not familiar enough to know what is required
    - Convict Conditioning - not familiar enough to know what is required
    - Start Bodyweight - doorknob or post, pull-up bar

There are more but that will get you started. Look through each and see which one you want to try. Check out form videos on YouTube or bodybuilding.com.
  • annabellemayh
    annabellemayh Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everybody this is all great information! I will look into everything you've all suggested! I might see if I can get a personal training session at my university gym just to go through the equipment and make sure I know how to use it properly! I've also heard New Rules of Lifting for Women is really good so I might give that a go and see how I get on!
  • annabellemayh
    Options
    Also, how often would you recommend training? How many times per week for example do you think would be a good starting point but also enough to give good results?
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would recommend NROLFW. I'm a little over 5'7", about 162 pounds and just finished this program. I think it helped a ton with body recomp and that was my main goal. I only lost about 7 pounds through the whole thing but am much firmer and less mushy now!hlxirva3b085.jpg
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Also, how often would you recommend training? How many times per week for example do you think would be a good starting point but also enough to give good results?

It depends on what you decide to do. If you do something that is total body (like Stronglifts), you should train 3 times a week. NROLFW recommends 2-3 times a week in the program.

If you decide to do a lower/upper body split routine, you can train effectively 4-5 times a week, just make sure you aren't training the same body area on consecutive days. For example: Mon-legs, Tuesday-upper body, Wed-off or cardio, Thurs-legs, Fri-upper body, Sat and Sun-whatever you want.
  • lili61
    Options

I did 3x/week with some occasional cardio. I think you could get away with 2x/week for a full body routine like Stronglifts or NROLFW, but 3x is probably better.
  • annabellemayh
    Options
    lili61 wrote: »
    I would recommend NROLFW. I'm a little over 5'7", about 162 pounds and just finished this program. I think it helped a ton with body recomp and that was my main goal. I only lost about 7 pounds through the whole thing but am much firmer and less mushy now!hlxirva3b085.jpg

Wow you look amazing! That's such a good and strong change, exactly what I'm going for. So NROLFW is a book? Did you follow it exactly and was it quite easy to start? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much for the info! I'd like to lose a bit more weight too around 10lbs, but as I'll hopefully be building muscle I won't worry about that too much :smile: xxxx
  • annabellemayh
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »

It depends on what you decide to do. If you do something that is total body (like Stronglifts), you should train 3 times a week. NROLFW recommends 2-3 times a week in the program.

If you decide to do a lower/upper body split routine, you can train effectively 4-5 times a week, just make sure you aren't training the same body area on consecutive days. For example: Mon-legs, Tuesday-upper body, Wed-off or cardio, Thurs-legs, Fri-upper body, Sat and Sun-whatever you want.

Hi! Thank you for helping me out! That makes sense, I think I'll try the NROLFW - do you think that's a good place to start? xx
  • lili61
    Options

Wow you look amazing! That's such a good and strong change, exactly what I'm going for. So NROLFW is a book? Did you follow it exactly and was it quite easy to start? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks so much for the info! I'd like to lose a bit more weight too around 10lbs, but as I'll hopefully be building muscle I won't worry about that too much :smile: xxxx

Thank you! Yes, NROLFW is a book. The beginning contains a lot of great information on why strength training is so beneficial for women. It's a good read even if you decide to follow another program.

I essentially followed the workouts exactly as written. I made a few minor modifications on some of the exercises that were uncomfortable or painful for me, but nothing major. I think the biggest thing with this or any other progressive strength program is consistency. If you consistently do the program 3x/week you will definitely see results.

Also, this will probably make you HUNGRY. Like, all the time. So don't be afraid to bump up your calories a little if you need to. I ate about 1800-2100 through most of it.

• rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Lots of great advice in this thread.

A good beginner strength program should include a schedule as part of the program. If it doesn't, find a better program. Some programs have some flexibility in their schedules, but for best results, follow the schedule they recommend.

Pay close attention to your program's progression rules. If you're not adding weight, you're not getting stronger. Beginner routines add weight fast. When you can't progress any more on a beginner program, it'll be time to move to an intermediate program, which are often designed around getting past those pesky plateaus. But you should make good progress on a beginner program for several months, or maybe even as long as a whole year.
  • annabellemayh
    Options

Can I ask how long the program roughly lasts? xx
  • lili61
    Options
    It took me about 6 months of lifting 3x per week. The book recommends 2-3 times per week, so depending on which you choose, could take a bit longer.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Thank you! Yes, NROLFW is a book. The beginning contains a lot of great information on why strength training is so beneficial for women. It's a good read even if you decide to follow another program.

Definitely second this - I read the book and learned a lot about why lifting matters and eating to fuel your workouts.

Then I got to the exercises - and freaked out. Too many to get my head round at that point!

I went with Stronglifts - purely because I only had to work on 5 lifts - I also hired a trainer for a couple of sessions - partly to check my form - partly to get the confidence to enter the testosterone pit that was the free weight section :)

NROLFW looks like a solid programme however, and now I'm more confident in what I'm doing I may try it when I feel Stronglifts has run it's course. It's all personal preference - pick a programme that feels right for you and your goals, and start picking things up.
  • lili61
    Options
    Cc215 wrote: »

Definitely second this - I read the book and learned a lot about why lifting matters and eating to fuel your workouts.

Then I got to the exercises - and freaked out. Too many to get my head round at that point!

I went with Stronglifts - purely because I only had to work on 5 lifts - I also hired a trainer for a couple of sessions - partly to check my form - partly to get the confidence to enter the testosterone pit that was the free weight section :)

NROLFW looks like a solid programme however, and now I'm more confident in what I'm doing I may try it when I feel Stronglifts has run it's course. It's all personal preference - pick a programme that feels right for you and your goals, and start picking things up.

Yes, NROLFW definitely has a wide variety of exercises. I was intimidated at first, until I realized that many of the different stages just repeat exercises from earlier stages but with different sets/reps.

I also used a trainer for one session to check form, but if there were any exercises I was unsure about, I just referred to the book and watched Youtube videos. Any program will feel awkward at first, especially if you're new to lifting.

5x5 is a great program too. I don't think you could go wrong with either!

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Follow an actual program. Trying to program your own routine is going to result in a lot of wasted time and energy for very little gain.

If you have access to a gym, look into Strong Curves or New Rules of Lifting for Women. My wife usually recommends to her friends to start with New Rules...she's doing Strong Curves now, but she's glad she started with New Rules if for no other reason that it is a good read, particularly if you're new to the weight room and intimidated by free weights. Strong Curves seems to be a slightly more intermediate program...at least that's what she says.