Loosing my motivation

Options
I decided to make a lifestyle change a year ago. I started making healthier food choices, counting calories, working out with a trainer, and exercising on my own between training sessions. From Halloween of last year to June of this year I lost 75 pounds and ~12 % body fat. Then, I hit a plateau. I gained and lost the same 5 pounds multiple times up until about a month ago. I then lost another 5 pounds, but am back to not loosing again.

I am still working out, but am really struggling with food choices. While I am using a digital scale, and weighing everything I eat, I find myself choosing to not always log everything. I know I am eating more than I should if I am going to loose the last ~30 pounds/~10-12% body fat I am wanting to loose. I know logging and counting calories works. I've been very successful doing it. I've also become stronger/healthier through the exercising I've been doing. Not only do I look better, I feel so much better. I've been able to get off some of the medications my doctor used to have me on, and she is thrilled with my progress, saying I am a model patient and she wished she had more who were so motivated and driven to get healthier.

I'm just tired. I'm tired of counting calories. I'm tired of logging meals, despite it only taking a few seconds to do so. I'm tired of planning out every single meal to make sure I stay within my calorie allotment and hit my macros. I have no doubt in my mind that the reason I have stalled with the weight loss is because of my diet. I just don't know what to do to get back into the right frame of mind. I have come so far already, that I can't give up now, but am just at a loss.

I know I'm not the only one who has ever felt like this. So, when you've gotten into a funk about all of it, what have you done to get back on track? I really could use some ideas!

Replies

• wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Do you give yourself non-food related rewards when you hit your goals? Do you give yourself adequate praise for what you have already accomplished? That has really helped me. I don't even have to lose and I'll give myself a little treat for simply making it through the week, logging in every day and exercising all I need to in that week. Rewards I like to give myself are: mani pedi day, going to a movie alone, art gallery trip, new art supplies etc. but that's just me. I am sure that there are little things you could do for yourself when you stay on track. Doing that has made all the difference for me.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Wish I knew the answer to this. I still want to lose 3-5 pounds but I haven't made much progress at all in months for the same reason. I don't mind the logging though... I log the good, the bad and the ugly but lately it's been more ugly than good.

In my mind giving up is just not an option though, so when I slip up... I just get back on track the next day. When I'm in the 'I'm tired of being restricted' mood though, I just have a cheat day. It seems to help (even if it takes me 2 weeks to recover from it).
  • simbelsim
    simbelsim Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Sounds like you've made amazing progress, htat's really admirable!

However, having too restrictive a diet can definitely backfire - perhaps try introducing a cheat day? For example, designate Saturdays as 'eat whatever you want' days. So, when you get really demotivated on a Wednesday and all you want is a donut and a packet of crisps, tell yourself "Come Saturday, I can eat whatever I want, but I'll stick to my goals for now."

I often find that even on my cheat days I don't exceed my calorie goal that much - but it does help to know that I can, if I want to.
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I am proud of the little I have accomplished so far but sometimes I just get tired of feeling my life revolves around nothing but food and exercise. Weighing and measuring and passing up things I want because it isn't in my calorie goal, hating going out with people because I don't enjoy them because I am too irritated by the foods available that I can't eat and thinking oh God here I go, gaining back weight I am just going to have to bust my butt taking it off yet again. Some days I have to force myself to get off my rear to exercise. It seems to be taking forever to get the weight off. Then I think to myself, I don't want to be back where I was and slacking off is what got me in the mess I have been in to begin with. Can't let that happen.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    When I have days like that, I brush them off for a month or 2 because I feel I should be able to use some will power and get on with my weight loss. Eventually, those brushed off days build up and I get a funk going. I end up just eating a whole lot of something (right now it is oatmeal chocolate chunk cookie dough mix; 1 serving is 30g and I will eat 300g in one shot), but with the caveat that I log it. I spent 5 months hiding food and being pissy at myself for not losing like I should simply because I didn't log it honestly.

I suggest taking a meal or part of meal (dessert for me) and eat what you want without worrying about the calorie count.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I am kind of in the same boat. I'm about 55 pounds down and I'm getting in a funk. Love seeing advice!
  • stepher1123
    Options
    I just got out of that little funk where I didnt want to count anything or regulate my life in that way. You just went through something substantial and the thing about people is that even when we lose weight we can put it on really fast again. Fight through that resistance :) Obviously its not something you cant do.
  • defaultoprime
    defaultoprime Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Right... Get back to logging all your food... Make it a habit... Don't hide anything, because that becomes a habit as well... As far as working out goes, set a schedule, or a set of rules to follow without question... then follow it... period... Make that a habit too... ELIMINATE personal motivation as a factor... Don't think about it, just step away from whatever you're wasting time on and do it... If you depend on being motivated to work out, you will fail... The more you obsess about your level of motivation, the more doubt you will introduce into the process...
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this too. I have lost and gained and lost many times and have tried to make a permanent change. So I am concentrating on a few things differently this time. I often feel like I'm the only one who has to be so strict, count, log, weigh. The truth is I'm not- Many people are genetically lucky in the weight area and I struggle but I am genetically gifted in other areas. I'm healthy, not afraid to speak in public, whatever. I try to just realize that everyone has struggles and that doesn't mean that I can't overcome it. When you feel like you are fighting it is exhausting so I'm trying not to fight but to just do the right thing.. if that makes sense? Also, I'm starting to see that I can have a cheat day and not gain but I also start to have strong cravings after so "for me" cheat days are tricky. I've been in this same funk you speak of for a while but I am trying to examine what I want. Do I really WANT the cake ect? How do I feel after. Instead of focusing on the guilt part of how I feel I have realized that my body actually feels worse after a weekend of sugar, alcohol ect. I feel bloated and tired. It puts the spotlight on the overall feeling of health instead of just if it's good or bad food. I was just telling someone last month. " I want, I'm not sure what- It's not the actual sugar but I find myself wanting something and not my prepared meals but then I don't know what so I end up eating things I shouldn't and there is no satisfaction, just regret so that didn't solve anything and now I feel guilty" WHAT THE HECK IS THAT? I've found I just do better if I eat every 3-4 hours to keep my blood sugar steady and it helps with the cravings and eating things I don't want to track. I've been reading on reducing sugar cravings and self sabotage lately. I don't want to do that yet again. Knowing what you are doing and reaching out for help is key.. I also listened to some youtube videos of Scott Able which were helpful about the Empowered Woman and your relationship with body, diet, food. This is kind of rambling I guess but I don't think any one answer works for everyone. I've been trying to recognize every good thing and think on it lately so I can draw from it on a weak day. I went to a football game and wasn't winded when we walked up stairs forever, I fit into a low number jean I never thought I would, I sat in the stadium seats scrunched up and didn't have that uncomfortable feeling of being squished. I don't feel that fat roll over my jeans. Just keep being grateful and practicing recognizing what you are grateful for in your accomplishments. Good Luck.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I do give myself rewards such as manis/pedis, massages, new clothes, etc. In the past few months I have become addicted to cute workout gear, so I have been using that quite frequently as a reward. Ultimately, I am wanting to get another tattoo, but don't want to do that until I reach my final goal.

As far as cheat days and such, I don't completely restrict anything from my diet. If I want to have a cookie, I'll eat it. Until recently, I had been doing really well with planning for those types of treats from time to time. So the issue isn't really stemming from being too restrictive either.

I've thought about taking a break from logging at all for about a week, but am afraid if I do that it will be even harder to get back on track with it. I typically eat the same two or three different meals for lunch and breakfast, so the only real variable is supper. As long as I watch portion sizes, I would probably be ok, but just really don't think it's the best option for me to do.

Continuing to exercise isn't an issue. That's something I have come to truly enjoy, and do on a regular, consistent schedule. That part's easy for me! It's the food part of the equation I am struggling with.
  • KickboxDiva
    KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    One more thing. Have you heard of Darren Hardy? I LOVE his small easy to read book "The compound effect" Also, you can subscribe online to his free Darren Daily text of 2-3 minute motivational video/ audio. Every day is so good and it helps to start me off in a positive mind for the day. I subscribe to my cell so I can hear it on the run. http://www.darrendaily.com/
  • scubakat67
    scubakat67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I've been struggling myself to get back "in the zone". My will power used to be totally nonexistent - I couldn't even keep on a healthy track from the time I stepped out of bed until I ate breakfast. I found it helped me to concentrate on ONE new commitment each week. Mine was eating breakfast at home. Once I started to get into that routine, I would add ONE new commitment each week. If I struggled, I would not try to add something new, but would focus my attention on continuing the habits I was trying to establish.

I have recently had a big shakeup in my routines, so I'm struggling to get back on track consistently, but I will get there.

You have made great achievements - do not lose sight of what you have accomplished.
  • royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should look into varying your diet? You said you eat similar foods for the most part.

I know I can go a long stretch with eating certain foods that I've planned out and think are really great for me. But then I hit a point where I am SICK of them and I sometimes gag having to eat them. It sucks because I know the foods are beneficial and I actually like them, but if I force myself to eat them I end up throwing them away and having to turn to something else. I usually eat too much and feel bad about it.

So when I get tired of eating boiled eggs, or greek yoghurt, or oatmeal, or salmon, or Oreos (which I all love very much) - I just don't anymore, and find something else. Now I'm on loads of avocado - I love it, I fit it in and make it work. Next week I probably will spit at the sight of an avocado. I'll find something else I want and eat that. It makes everything a lot easier for me to stay on track.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with this too. I was basically logging for weight loss half the time, which works out to maintenance for me. I had the hardest time sticking to it. What worked for me was cutting out artificial sweetener. I don't really know why, but the research supports the idea that our bodies respond to diet sodas and such by feeling hungrier. Previously, I had focused on whole foods, minimally processed and lower carb and found that that helped me stay within 1200 calories without feeling like stabbing and eating someone. I started off strict with it (playing with Paleo, but not going all the way and still counting calories), but after a couple months of being strict, I was able to just use what I learned to make better choices based on how my body feels (e.g. more protein and more fat makes me feel more satisfied; more sugar and carbs don't), while counting calories of course.

Of course, it's different for everyone, but I would suggest playing around with WHAT you're eating and not just how much. Maybe you're not being strict enough and being very strict for a little while might help you find what works for you. Also, take it one day at a time, or even one bite at time. I find I get more discouraged and don't track well when I try to set bigger goals vs. when I commit to just tracking that day. Sometimes, it even gets down to saying "I don't know if I'll be able to track all day, but I'll just track what I'm eating now." If you do that every time, you'll be fully tracking!!!

So far, all of this has helped me have 31 days of full tracking and only going over on calories a few days and never egregeously--this after a YEAR of struggling with motivation and weight gain (where I didn't go a whole week of fully, honestly tracking).
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    How big is your deficit? I know that if you don't have much left to lose, having too large of a deficit can be mentally and physically unsustainable, depending on your goal. You could try to set your diary to lose 1/2lb per week, and see if that is more sustainable to you? Or if you're REALLY burnt out on it, set your diary to maintain for a while. It sounds like the habit you need to get back into is logging, so you stay accountable.

Sometimes I envy the people who 'accidentally' maintain a healthy weight by having a good internal idea about their eating vs. their needs, but I am not one of them, so I know that logging works best for me in the long run.
  • celticmuse
    celticmuse Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I can definitely relate to this discussion. I lost 34 lbs, came within 2 lbs. of my ultimate goal last year, and then started slowly going off the rails. I had many different excuses, too busy with work to exercise, travel, sick friends, etc., but it all added up to a 4 lb. weight gain that I can't seem to shake. I am still logging, and exercising, but much less than my usual 3x/week. And the fall is such a hard time to find motivation. I would love to find some buddies to help me get back on track. It is good to know that you are not alone in the struggle to stay fit.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. About a year ago, I was at my lowest weight in a long time. Then I hit a stall and never got back to it. I was just so tired of it all. But about three weeks ago I weighed myself... It wasn't pretty... I had gained about 15 back and was so so sad because it was so hard to lose in the first place. I think that is what is helping me now. Knowing that if I stop I will be losing those 15 pounds again... and I would rather be losing a new 15 pounds.
  • let1179
    let1179 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm just tired. I'm tired of counting calories. I'm tired of logging meals, despite it only taking a few seconds to do so. I'm tired of planning out every single meal to make sure I stay within my calorie allotment and hit my macros. I have no doubt in my mind that the reason I have stalled with the weight loss is because of my diet. I just don't know what to do to get back into the right frame of mind. I have come so far already, that I can't give up now, but am just at a loss.

I have been where you are so many times, and I am praying this time is different. I completely understand, and have thought about it numerous times throughout my ups and downs with weight. I hate that either way I look at things I am "obsessing" over food. Either it's a negative impact, eating everything, thinking solely of food, or it's a positive impact, yes weighing, counting, measuring... Your weight has plateaued because your mind has plateaued...What is going to take you to the next level with your goals? Setting mini-goals perhaps? This is a point you have to really reach within yourself and make it happen.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    How big is your deficit? I know that if you don't have much left to lose, having too large of a deficit can be mentally and physically unsustainable, depending on your goal. You could try to set your diary to lose 1/2lb per week, and see if that is more sustainable to you? Or if you're REALLY burnt out on it, set your diary to maintain for a while. It sounds like the habit you need to get back into is logging, so you stay accountable.

I am currently supposed to be eating 1650 calories/day. I don't use MFP's calculator to determine that though. It's the number my trainer gave me after meeting with me and talking about goals, activity levels, etc. He said it should put me at a deficit of 350 calories. Lately, I think it needs to be adjusted just a bit though. I have never ate back exercise calories, and been completely ok with that until recently. I started running 3-4 weeks ago, and ever since then I am usually feeling like I am always hungry. I've started eating an additional 200-300 calories in the evenings in the form of a healthy snack (greek yogurt, fruit, cheese, etc) if I am really feeling hungry that night. Otherwise, I had been sticking to the 1650 - at least until this funk I have been in lately.
  • karenfryman
    karenfryman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys it's awesome to feel like you're Not the only one who gets frustrated. I think I have more trouble getting serious after an emotional day or just plain bad day. You've reminded me pick myself up, lift my head up pull up my granny panties up and get over myself!