Breakfast...thing.

Options
Has anyone else ever had this problem?

If I get up before nine AM and try to eat breakfast before that time, I literally have to CHOKE it down. I remember this being such a problem during high school (it was so hard to eat anything at 6 in the morning!), but I haven't noticed it again until today, since I usually don't have to be up for class until nine or later. But today I got up at eight, and breakfast was a serious struggle--at one point I thought I was going to throw up. This makes no sense to me, because the last time I ate was my night-time snack at nine pm the day before--about eleven and a half hours earlier.

Any ideas? It's not really a huge issue, it just seems weird to me...

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before 9 am. I just don't.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    for me its not so much the time but how long i have been up. so i just take something with me to work
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Does coffee count??
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning eater either. I usually don't force myself to eat if I don't want to... the morning is the only time I have that problem. I love to eat at night especially (oh so bad). I grab a 90 calorie Fiber One bar in the morning and go... if I don't eat it until 11 AM, so be it. I just make sure to track it.
  • SimplyDeLish
    Options
    I'm not a breakfast eater either....I eat mine about 10 or so (and I'm up by 6). Don't force your body to do something it doesn't want. So what if it takes you a few extra weeks to lose the weight because your metabolism doesn't like to wake up, so what! It's not a biggie in my book.

Good luck!
  • zer0vital
    zer0vital Posts: 42
    Options
    Since your metabolism shuts down overnight, it's not too surprising that you'd have trouble eating in the morning. I always try to eat breakfast, but it's always something light, less than 250 calories (I have a 2180/day limit).

One of my MFP friends was discussing some new research that may cast doubts on the absolute need to eat the six meals throughout the day to be healthy. You may find that skipping breakfast is not such a horrible thing, but I would probably try to get a little something down before lunchtime.

Make sure that what you are eating in the morning is nice and moist. I like Nutri-Grain bars for breakfast because they are so crumbly and moist; if I tried to eat a dry food first thing I would have a hard time getting it down too.
  • I have the same problem and have just come to realize that breakfast will be eaten but it may be an hour or two after I get up before I can stomach some food.
  • chrisleone
    Options
    The way I get around this is to DRINK a protein drink... can chug it in 10 seconds. (215 calories). Then I eat a food breakfast a few hours later on my break at work.
  • AudreyJoy
    Options
    Why not try a high-protein Shake with added fibre? I would suggest a coffee flavoured one. It will easiy sustain you until a piece of fruit at mid-morning.
  • lil_pulp
    lil_pulp Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I love breakfast because it involves eating, of which I'm a huge fan. In fact, I'd say it's one of my main motivations for getting up each day....

-LP
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I have this issue as well, but it's less a before-a-certain-time thing and more of a how-much-sleep-did-i-get thing. Often if I'm getting up earlier than 8 or so, I'll have slept much less than I usually do, and that's when I have a hard time eating breakfast.

If you're eating before nine and you've gone to bed at, say, nine or ten pm the night before, I wonder if you would still have trouble? I'm pretty much constitutionally incapable of sleeping before midnight unless I'm jetlagged, so I've never tested this hypothesis. :)
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have been that way my whole life. I just can not eat before 9 or 10 in the morning, although I am usually awake at 6
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I was the same way in high school, but not now. I get up around 7am and eat about 7:30am. I love my morning oatmeal! My breakfast is usually 260 calories or less. I have quick oats with some fresh fruit, ground flax seed, and almond milk. It's heavy enough to keep my full until my snack 3 hours later, but not too much where I'm TOO full. I also have my usual 2 cups of coffee with sugar free hazelnut creamer. :) I am on a regular schedule of eating every 3-4 hours and I feel it really keeps me satiated and my metabolism stays stable. I also drink at least a gallon of water every day so that helps me stay full as well.
  • runningfromzombies
    runningfromzombies Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. Thanks for all the suggestions, I've never tried protein shakes, so there's a first time for everything. :smile:
    I have this issue as well, but it's less a before-a-certain-time thing and more of a how-much-sleep-did-i-get thing. Often if I'm getting up earlier than 8 or so, I'll have slept much less than I usually do, and that's when I have a hard time eating breakfast.

If you're eating before nine and you've gone to bed at, say, nine or ten pm the night before, I wonder if you would still have trouble? I'm pretty much constitutionally incapable of sleeping before midnight unless I'm jetlagged, so I've never tested this hypothesis. :)

Huh. :huh: I'll have to test this. Last night I DID get less sleep than usual by about two hours...so maybe that's ultimately what's causing it. But I'm like you--it's literally impossible for me to go to bed before midnight! Ugh.

Stay tuned for the results of the experiment, I'm tired today so I'm going to try to go to bed exactly at midnight and get up at eight AM tomorrow.