10 k tomorrow...

Options
Help me with what I should eat today. I am on a weight loss track, 1200 calories/ day which I manage quite well with running 3 miles/ day. I am willing to let go of the number of calories today in order to have the energy to have one of those life changing runs tomorrow. What are some good meal recommendations for lunch and dinner? Breakfast was english muffin with white american cheese and 1 egg and 2 tbsps of egg white. And I just ate half a fried oreo (don't judge me) turkey jerky, and 6 almonds.

Replies

• Dawnog
    Dawnog Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Don't overeat the day before a race and don't try anything different. I like to have Spagbol the night before a race and on the morning of a race a nice big bowl of porridge and a banana about an hour before. Have a great run and enjoy the experience, remember to take on water at the stations. Good Luck x
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks Dawnog! I had to google Spagbol. Learned something new :)
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of the pasta dinner the night before a race. It just hasn't worked well for me in the past. Seems that putting down a bunch of carbs with an acidic tomato sauce late in the evening sometimes gives me a rocky belly in the morning. Don't want to be standing at the starting line with a rumbling belly.

I'd suggest eating a bigger lunch than usual, then keeping dinner light with some good lean protein. I'd splurge on the calories a bit, but steer clear of anything greasy. A baked potato would be right up there on my list for lunch. Dinner might be some lean protein (chicken, salmon, etc) with some rice and a veggie of some sort.

Extra hydration today is a good thing also.
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I agree with bulking up your lunch a little, making sure you have some good complex carbs in there (eg whole wheat bread), and keeping dinner somewhat light (not a giant pasta meal). For the morning, I usually have a slice of WW toast with PB and J... complex carbs, a little fat, a little sugar... And yes, most importantly, drink LOTS of water today and tonight!! Good luck!
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did my first 10K last Saturday and ate what I normally eat before a run. From training you should have a good idea of what/when to eat to have a good run.

I just tried to make sure I had enough energy for the run but also made sure it is not going to be anything to give you any bathroom issues during the race.

My dinner before a race is usually something hearty and going to sit well in my stomach.

My breakfast before a race is 2 scrambled eggs with some shredded cheese, 1 serving cottage cheese, slice of wheat bread, banana and a glass of milk.

Good luck in your 10K!
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    If you're going to eat heavier, it needs to be at lunch today with a few extra complex carbs. Don't over-eat at dinner tonight. Do your normal routine on race morning -- never change anything on race day.

Good luck!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    It's a 10K - you don't need to do anything special.
  • BonworthVonFattyPants
    Options
    It's a 10K - you don't need to do anything special.

This.

Other than making sure you have plenty of water and avoid too much alcohol the night before, there isn't a whole lot you need to do to prepare for a 10k that isn't part of your normal training routine.

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    What most have said. If you've trained for the distance, you should have a sense of how your body responds, so no need to make big changes. No new foods on race day.

Personally, I simply eat at maintenance instead of a deficit for a day or two before the race. I eat my normal foods, to insure my stomach doesn't have issues. For the 10k distance, you don't have to do anything significant.

Good luck!
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    trust me... I couldn't have run 6 miles on this calorie deficit! I did end up doing maintenance calories and felt fantastic.