Adding Food Question - I cook A lot from Scratch

Options
Ok, so yes, I am one of those who would rather cook from scratch any day. So, on that note, how would I go about correctly adding in calories, since there are times when you have to add say a dash of cinnamon, to make muesli bread taste good?

I am also new here, so I may have just not found the button yet. So, if anyone could happily point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale to weigh the cinnamon
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I've been on here a year and a half, and in the beginning there was a post on weighing condiments and spices. The best advice was to weight the container first on a digital scale and then weight it again after you're finished. The difference is what you used. That's what I do. Good luck. :)
  • SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I don't know if a "dash" of anything will show up. It would probably have a serving of cinnamon (say a teaspoon) and you could adjust that? Just a thought.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Mostly I don't do dashes anymore-- I measure spices and weigh everything else.
  • FaylinaMeir
    FaylinaMeir Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Well for mental note there is like 2 calories in a dash of cinnamon or 6 calories in a teaspoon.

If it's something that is worth counting like sugar or butter (something with real calories) use measuring spoons or a scale. Otherwise don't worry about it. You'll quickly lose your mind counting cinnamon calories
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would enter a dash as 1/8 tsp and a pinch as 1/16 tsp and consider that accurate enough for a calorie count on spices.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I cook from scratch too, and I'm new at this (so maybe I'll slack off in a while), but so far I've been dutifully obsessive about trying to add every little thing. Still, there's only so much time I'm going to devote to it, and I don't actually use teaspoons or anything when I cook anyway (and almost never follow a recipe). So what I've done for spices is add up the calories in the ones I generally use, estimate my typical amount, and have that in my food diary under "my random spices."

And it does add up. Two teaspoons of sugar are 18 calories (yeah, I just checked), and that would be counted; I generally use around 50 calories a day from spices, so I wouldn't want to just pretend they're not there! And anyway, it makes me happier to look at a Food Diary that doesn't seem as if dinner was heavy on raw carrots and onion :smile: