Polycystic Ovary Syndrome

Options
penkon
penkon Posts: 16 Member
Hi,
My names Penny and I have Pcos and I'm finding it quite difficult to loose weight!
Just after any friendly support.
feel free to add me on penkon :)

Replies

• robinm58
    Options
    Hello Penny,
    I discovered I had PCOS two years ago and it can be struggle to lose the weight. Maybe we can keep each other motivated. What are your goals? I would like to drop between 30-35 pounds.
  • juwair1
    juwair1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    HI.. I am in the boat without. I have PCOS too... i struggle too and can always use some support! My first goal is 5% which is 12.7 pounds. If I can do that then I am on my way!
  • Mightymouse478
    Options
    Hello, I have PCOS as well. It is the most challenging things I've ever had to deal with. I'm new to this, but I can offer what support I can = )
  • DESeishin87
    Options
    Hi! I have PCOS as well, currently 232 after previously getting down to 217. Exercising is difficult for me because I am in a bad neighborhood, as well as a cluttered house with little room to work, so you can imagine the difficulties! My current goal is to get below 200 pounds, and maybe even 180.
  • Tblackdogs
    Tblackdogs Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Why does PCOS make it difficult to lose weight? Just curious.
  • rw734
    rw734 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have that as well. I found an awesome doctor who prescribed low dose progesterone, vit d, and omega 3 (helps control internal inflammation) along with a low carb/sugar, increased protein diet and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY! The progesterone balances out the excessive estrogen levels most people with PCOS have. Something to consider :)
  • DESeishin87
    Options
    Tblackdogs wrote: »
    Why does PCOS make it difficult to lose weight? Just curious.

I think a lot of what it has to do with is insulin resistence, IE our body's inability to break down and process sugars (which are in everything), which just builds on more fat, as well as the hormonal imbalance. It's a tough road. :/
  • fancycakemaker
    fancycakemaker Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    rw734 wrote: »
    I have that as well. I found an awesome doctor who prescribed low dose progesterone, vit d, and omega 3 (helps control internal inflammation) along with a low carb/sugar, increased protein diet and it has helped TREMENDOUSLY! The progesterone balances out the excessive estrogen levels most people with PCOS have. Something to consider :)

It sure is a tough road! Losing weight has been impossible for me. My doctor prescribed Metformin and progesterone and it has worked wonders for me too! It makes me wonder why I waited to see my doctor for so long.
  • rw734
    rw734 Posts: 14 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    rw734 wrote: »

It sure is a tough road! Losing weight has been impossible for me. My doctor prescribed Metformin and progesterone and it has worked wonders for me too! It makes me wonder why I waited to see my doctor for so long.

Isn't it great!? I'm happy to hear it worked so well for you too! I was on metformin but I started to develop palpitations and i think it caused it so I cut that out quick.
    I feel like a new woman instead of a carb craving, mood swinging, hair losing, couldn't sleep for anything shell of a human. Lol