I don't know where to start. Any tips?

Options
I'm 5'3 and 140 lbs. I want to get to 118 before my next birthday, in mid-March. I use to be 150 and I lost 10 lbs over the last few months without trying, but I'm tired of being overweight and I want to get it shape. I know the basics, I know that 3500 calories = 1 lb, and that kind of stuff. But I really have no idea where to start. Any tips? And I also have tried on my own to lose weight before but given up after only a few days. How do you stay motivated? Thanks in advance :smile:

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to give you any tips as I'm working on finding what's right for me at the moment too... BUT here is a great place to get started.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

There are a ton of MFPer's that have been here a while that know what they are talking about. And it shows.

Also, motivation is a you thing... you either do the work you need to get things done or you don't.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    5 months to lose 22lbs? Roughly 1lb per week requires a deficit of 3500 calories per week. So, therefore, your starting point is to figure out how many calories your body burns in the average week and reduce the intake by 3500 calories, or 500 calories per day. Then you stick with only that 500 cal deficit...no starving yourself, binge eating, or trying to go faster. Eat all the foods in moderation.

Visit either scoobysworkshop.com or iifym.com to determine your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) and subtract 500 cals to get a manual goal to eat. Its the calories you require to maintain your current weight. Your BMR is the number you need just to be in a coma so its recommended never to eat less than that number each day. That, my dear, is your starting point. The next step is to find a way to make it all enjoyable still.

Oh, and do yourself a favour and buy a food scale.
  • david2831g78
    david2831g78 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Plan your whole day the best you can. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks. Oatmeal, yogurt, fiber bars, fruit, grilled chicken salads, tuna, lots of steamed veggies and grilled fish or chicken. Add sauces for flavor but go light on them. Also walk (or jog) for at least 30 minutes everyday. You will be where you want to be before you know it! Never stop believing in yourself and the hard work is well worth it because you are well worth it!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This is how I started:

At first I didn't start with the calorie counting (not until I came to MFP), but I cut down on my portions and cut out all the junk food and threw in lots of fruits and vegetables. I also started walking everyday as I was so out of shape. I lost half my weight with walking alone, so it's a great place to start. Also, I drank a lot of water.

As I progressed I kind of played around with my food and exercise plan until I found something that I liked and that worked for me.

I'll be honest, the first few weeks were the hardest but I stuck with it as I really needed to make this change for myself.

The motivation comes when you start seeing the number on the scale going down and the clothes you once found too tight become way too big on you.

You don't need to restrict certain foods to lose weight, you can still enjoy your favourite burger or cake, just make it fit into your day. That I believe is key because if you restrict yourself too much, you are bound to fail.

Just remember, it takes time. Slow and steady wins the race. It took me almost a year to drop 60 lbs.

Add me if you wish and good luck to you!

• lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Keep goals small. Don't think, I need to lose 22lbs, think I need to lose 3 then I need to lose 2 etc etc until you reach your goal.

Write down why you want to lose weight and pin it somewhere predominant, where you can see it.

Remember that there are no quick fixes. Take your time and change your lifestyle for the long term.

Good Luck x
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    You're my height and the weight I was when I realized I needed to make a change. :)

Take baby steps. Don't go all crazy and try to change everything about your life all at once because you will burn out and get frustrated and want to quit. Start out by simply logging everything you eat and drink, without exception. That includes gum and vitamins. Now, after a few days, take a hard look at your food diary and see where you can make a simple change or two. Drinking 20 oz. sugared sodas at 250 calories each? Cut one out and replace it with unsweetened iced tea with lemon or a glass of water. That afternoon candy bar? Replace it with an apple. You get the idea. Buy a scale for your kitchen and weigh your food whenever possible. I even weigh things like salad dressing and peanut butter by using the tare function on mine.

Once you've got that down look at other small changes you can make. Start parking your car at the back of the parking lot, take the stairs instead of the elevator, for your breaks at work go take a walk around the building. Importantly, make the changes something sustainable. If it's not something you can live with for the rest of your life, don't do it. You should be striving for a lifestyle change, not a diet to lose a set number of pounds that you'll just gain back if you go back to living like you were before. When you're ready to really amp up your exercise routine, join a gym or look into Couch to 5K. I also highly recommend starting a strength training program. While you're losing fat and water you're also losing lean muscle mass unless you're doing something to retain it; that something is weight lifting. You can do body weight exercises at home, buy weights to use at home or you can join a gym.

If the thought of figuring out your TDEE and BMR sounds overwhelming right now, rely on MFP to give you a calorie goal for the time being. Be reasonable. At your height and weight, and with your goal weight, you're going to be looking at a 1.0 or 0.5 pound per week loss. Once you start getting more comfortable and feel like you want to learn more, read the forums, do some web searches and get more educated.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3 and 140 lbs. I want to get to 118 before my next birthday, in mid-March. I use to be 150 and I lost 10 lbs over the last few months without trying, but I'm tired of being overweight and I want to get it shape. I know the basics, I know that 3500 calories = 1 lb, and that kind of stuff. But I really have no idea where to start. Any tips? And I also have tried on my own to lose weight before but given up after only a few days. How do you stay motivated? Thanks in advance :smile:

I think weightloss should be easy. If its too hard, it won't work in the long term.

Probably the easiest way to lose weight is:
    Eat a lot more vegetables but don't give up eating other whole foods.
    skip the low fat notion. Just eat whole dairy.
    Keep your food tasty and pleasurable. The way to do that is eat a diverse range of foods all the time and cook it yourself from scratch as often as possible. And explore cooking international foods such as indian, european and asian. and middle eastern. Some of these cultures do great jobs with beans and lentils and chickpeas. These are great foods for weight control.

Most processed foods have intensive sweet or salty flavours. This is what makes people eat too much of them and hard to control. Avoid or minimise these foods to infrequent occasions. So abandon packet cereals, crackers, and bottled salad dressings for example.

Don't feel you have to become an exercise junkie, just keep moving through out your day and maybe join a sporting club or some sort. Try different things until you find something you like. When activity has a social aspect its easy to keep it up because you have other reasons for doing it than losing weight.

I'm not sure what 118 looks like but if its too low for you, you will struggle to maintain that weight when you reach it.

Keep your mood in good shape! Very important for weight loss because problematic moods tend to send you running for carb foods and make you want to eat continuously.
  • kmack29_
    kmack29_ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i struggled quite a bit when i first started. getting into a healthier routine was definitely challenging- there is a reason i got chubby in the first place! just start out slow and not give up! i started with logging my food, and trying to make as much of my own food as possible instead of eating out! (especially at work- i work in a restaurant and am constantly being tempted by delicious, but not quite good for me foods.) packing my own lunches and making sure i have enough healthy snacks really curved the cravings. after i got into a routine of making lunches and dinners more at home, i started putting effort into exercise. i've always been a fairly active person but not scheduled. i started off picking one activity i would do at least 3 times a week- walking/running, biking, elliptical, so on and so forth. picking something you find fun makes it a lot easier to stick with!

the weight isn't going to come off over night, but if you focus on having a healthy lifestyle both with food and physical activity the rest just falls into place!

good luck :smile:
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    k8blujay2 wrote: »
    I'm not going to give you any tips as I'm working on finding what's right for me at the moment too... BUT here is a great place to get started.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

There are a ton of MFPer's that have been here a while that know what they are talking about. And it shows.

Also, motivation is a you thing... you either do the work you need to get things done or you don't.
    lorib642 wrote: »

There you go! I found these two links incredibly helpful. Once I educated myself on how this all works, it wasn't a struggle anymore, just a matter of applying the information. (The motivation for that comes from you, but motivation comes easier once you empower yourself.)

• MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I really have no idea where to start
    Definitely read sexypants.

I'm 5'3 and 140 lbs.
    I want to get to 118 before my next birthday, in mid-March.
    Going by BMI, a healthy weight range is 105 - 135. http://www.shapeup.org/bmi/bmi6.pdf
    So 118 is not unhealthy or unreasonable, but it will be slow.
    You want to lose 20 lb; 0.5 lb per week is a reasonable expectation. That would be 10 lb by March.
    Exercise at least 30 minutes per day (more is better, to a point), and cut at least 500 cal per day from what you're eating now. Don't go under 1200 calories unless your doctor says it's OK. (That's total calories, not net. Ignore net, ignore exercise calories.)

Have about half your calories for breakfast, a medium lunch, & a small dinner. See the last half of this blog post for the studies supporting this approach for weight loss.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-06-10-some-studies-about-weight-loss-667818

Increase your percentage of calories from protein, decrease the percentage from carbs. Again, see the post for links to studies which support this approach.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-09-high-protein-diet-685553

Here's a table which explains the healthy ranges for macronutrients:
    http://www.iom.edu/Global/News Announcements/~/media/C5CD2DD7840544979A549EC47E56A02B.ashx
    page 1, carbs, 45 - 65% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    page 2, fat, 20 - 35% of calories (9 cal per gram)
    page 4, protein, 10 - 35% of calories (4 cal per gram)
    So try 45 / 20 / 35.

And something that's a little unusual... sleep enough. Yes, links to studies again.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-08-27-sleep-weight-control-690492

also have tried on my own to lose weight before but given up after only a few days. How do you stay motivated?
    Here's a blog post I did about motivation & encouragement.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/MKEgal/view/2014-07-24-motivation-encouragement-680938
  • LiveLoveSwimming
    LiveLoveSwimming Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Look Into IIFYM ( If it fits your macros) it allows you to still eat things you enjoy while losing weight. Basically you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay in your macos, (or macronutrients) which are protein, fat , and carbs. It helped keep me motivated because I didn't have to stop eating the things I love to eat.
  • Fallenangelx111
    Fallenangelx111 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Theres certainly some "interesting" advice in here lol. Easiest way to do it with out a wall of text

Find your maintainence calories by eating a set amount for about a week
    See if your weight changes. If you are eating at maintainence it should stay the same
    -500 cals from maintainence. Enjoy losing an easy 1lb a week
    This is a solid start

The most important thing is to calorie count everything and be consistent

Enjoy