Trigger foods

Options
Hi all,

My trigger foods are chips and ice cream. If I want a frozen treat I only keep 100-calorie portions in my house. But the other night I wasn't prepared with healthy snacks and my brother gave me a big bag of chips...I ate almost the whole bag. Sigh. Oh well, hopefully this will remind me for next time how awful I feel after eating all those chips! I don't even keep potato chips in my house because of it. How do you all handle your trigger foods that lead to over-eating?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I know how many calories I have allotted for a snack and make sure whatever I'm grubbing fits. i don't really have a trigger food, because I haven't given up anything.
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    One day I will be strong enough to just say no or control myself. Just starting, I walked by my favorite cereal in the store and really contemplated if I am strong enough yet. I am not, so I didn't buy it. I don't live alone so I just keep myself full or busy so that I am not tempted by things I can't yet handle. Diet Soda has been immensely helpful in eliminating ice cream cravings.
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would like to take the opportunity to point out my user name. After that, I can relate .. However, my will power and wanting to become more than I've ever been keeps me on the straight and narrow. I also no longer purchase such "trigger" items. I don't have it, I can't eat it! ;)
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Well i had been successfully avoiding chocolate until I bought some for Halloween. Now I have almost completely lost all control and have eaten most of it :(. Now I feel sick and fed up. Back in the saddle tomorrow.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm ok with them 90% of the time, then I start binging more on them... so I stop buying them for a while then give it a shot again.
  • Kealihc
    Kealihc Posts: 39
    Options
    Chips are my weakness too! Doesn't matter what kind lol the only way to deal with them...is not buying them :'( if I get a craving for them I will go get one of those small bags from the gas station or grocery store! That way it can't get too out of hand! No matter how far I've come or how strong I think I am...a bag of chips can always take me down lol
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I think if I called any food that I really liked a "trigger food" I would use that as way to gorge on such foods because whenever I'd come across them I'd tell myself I've been "triggered" to behave in such a way.
    Rather, you could just look at the nutrition label on the bag, figure out what a serving is, and log it. That you really like this food shouldn't magically change your behavior unless you want it to.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    juliaky84 wrote: »
    Hi all,

My trigger foods are chips and ice cream. If I want a frozen treat I only keep 100-calorie portions in my house. But the other night I wasn't prepared with healthy snacks and my brother gave me a big bag of chips...I ate almost the whole bag. Sigh. Oh well, hopefully this will remind me for next time how awful I feel after eating all those chips! I don't even keep potato chips in my house because of it. How do you all handle your trigger foods that lead to over-eating?

Is it mindless eating? I can eat a lot out of a bag while I am doing something else. I take the portion I want out of the bag and put the bag away. I can go back but that makes me pay attention to how much I am eating. And log it.
  • pleasepleaseno
    pleasepleaseno Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It used to be oreos and peanut butter. I'd be lik e"I'll just have 2." or "I'll just have a tablespoon" and end up eating 6 or 7, or a few tablespoons. Idk what changed honestly, but now I really can have just one or two. Though for a long time i simply didnt buy these items because i knew how i was
  • misswhitney1
    misswhitney1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Cheese!
  • Tea_Mistress
    Tea_Mistress Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    -Oreos
    -Jam
    -dumb but, yorkshire puddings
    - Prawn crackers
    - whipped cream
    Foods that basically once I get a taste of I'll pretty much keep thinking about until it's gone xD I didn't give them up, I tried to have them lol, some people really do have trigger foods
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Tacos, and these cookies I like to make. Sweets in general are very tough, especially if they are the cheap "chocolates" fun sizes that come out in full force around this time of year. I think, oh I'll have just one but then somehow one becomes six and by then I could have just eaten a full-sized candy bar.

As for tacos...they are my all-time favorite food. I've had all types and I just want to keep 'em coming! Just this week I have eaten around 16 tacos, 9 of which were consumed in just one night. Talk about crazy LOL.

The way I try to keep in check with candy is to buy gourmet/higher end. For some reason I can't overindulge on it. I actually start to feel a bit sick/full if I try to eat over a serving size. Because it costs so much more than the stuff in grocery stores, I also tend to want it to stick around longer, so there's that.

As for tacos, the best way I can control how many I eat is if I make them from scratch. A bit of work goes into frying shells (yeah, I like hard shell tacos, sue me), cooking meat and prepping toppings and I'm just way too lazy to stand there in front of a hot *kitten* frying pan, holding a corn tortilla in shape so it can fry up nicely for too long. xD I can usually do two-three for under 400cals but more often two for around 200cals.

Eventually I want to be able to control myself around any of my favorite foods. That's a long road to walk down, but I'm trying. >.<
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I can walk away from most sweets, but I adore tortilla chips and sliced sharp cheddar cheese. It's hard for me to resist them if I have them in the house, so I don't buy them very often.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    juliaky84 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I used to do this same thing, until i stopped categorizing food into trigger categories. I couldn't keep chips, cookies, ice cream, or nuts in my house because I'd go hog wild.

I stopped demonizing food and started learning how to weigh food and eat portions.

Now, I have those things in my house. I open bag, weigh out portion, put bag away, and eat.
  • peaberry20
    peaberry20 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Chips and white bread! I can't keep either in my house.