Post Hysterectomy Recovery

Options
I am having a partial hysterectomy (just uterus) in December. I am trying to get as much exercise as I can in before my surgery. I am concerned with gaining weight and/or getting out of shape during recovery. I know I have to start off slow with walking, but how long does it take before I can start back to my more intense workouts? Since hormones won't be an issue, is weight gain inevitable even if you are diligent on your calories?

Replies

• jsandie76
    jsandie76 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answers to your questions (and I am quite interested in hearing them) but... I was told SPECIFICALLY that I should switch to maintenance calories during my recovery in January 2015. Your body needs a lot of calories to repair itself after surgery. I know how frustrating the thought of gaining weight and not being able to exercise during recovery can be... I am scared out of my mind. But I was told that after a hysterectomy it could take months to get up to your normal energy level, to me that indicates that your body is still working hard long after your recovery is over.
  • tauny78
    tauny78 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I just recently had a hysterectomy in July. I wasn't told anything about how to eat afterwards, but I was not to lift anything more than 10 pounds (a little heavier than a gallon of milk) for a minimum of 6 weeks. At my 2 week post op I asked about body weight exercises and was given a definite "NO". I had to wail until my 6 week check up and even then was told to go easy for a couple more weeks. It does take a long time to get energy back up...but then everyone is different. I didn't do much of anything during my 6 weeks. I should've been walking more. I only did a few walks here and there and they wore me out pretty good. I surprisingly didn't gain any weight, even though I was really expecting to since my eating wasn't very good during recovery either. Even though I didn't gain, I was definitely fatter if that makes any sense. I lost quite a bit of muscle tone :(. I'm really happy I had the surgery though. I'm feeling much better now and am ready to kick butt in the gym and on my runs! Good luck to you! If you have any other questions about the surgery or recovery I'm happy to share my experiences. :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    My hysterectomy was many years ago but I remember the 6 week guideline. Although I was told not to lift anything heavier than 2 lbs. I had internal dissolving sutures and had to drastically reduce activity for the first two weeks.

I also remember being pretty wiped out for that first couple of weeks. Healing takes a lot out of you.

But the surgery made a huge difference in my overall energy level, after the recovery period.
  • successiswithinme
    successiswithinme Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    First let me say I'm sorry you have to have one.
    I had mine in Sept of this year with the Divinci robotic system , next week is my 6 week check up. Full with everything removed :( Now you will be a hyster sister. (check this site)

I had such high stress pre surgery that I walked a lot and logged between 9-15 miles a week, I didn't do much exercise before that other than walk. The day of my surgery I was up in the evening walking the halls and I felt great, no pain really. When I got home the next day I started slowly walking mini laps around my house, rested, walked more..then when I went outside I would do small 5 minutes out then 5 minutes back and increased my time until I built my stamina up. Walking is the one thing Dr. and staff will want you to do.
    You will get what is called "swelly belly" from activity and that takes time to go away. I had slight cramping if I did to much and that was my signal to slow down.

I am anxious for my check up next week to see how much I will be allowed to do fitness wise. I am still not allowed to do core strengthening or lifting over 10 lbs.
    I was told taking vitamin C prior helps with healing, so I did. I believe it helped. Take your vitamins too.

I have been walking on the treadmill everyday and increasing my time (up to 45 min now)
    From what I have heard and read you can and most likely will gain up to 25 lbs within the first year and after hearing that, I am determined now more than ever to get as fit as I can (and prove this statement wrong) so I don't gain the weight, fear is my motivation I guess....Good luck and keep us posted.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had a partial hysterectomy (incision via my lower tummy) plus a bladder sling put in this past May. I was not allowed to lift anything over 10lbs for six weeks. After two week post op I got the ok to slowly stroll walk for exercise. I slowly walked up the street and back...not far. You will be surprised how much it Tucker's you out. Listen to your body and take naps when necessary!!! At 6 week post op I was allowed to start working out slowly...advised to listen to my body, taking it easy. I began doing long walks and soon after started c25k and 6weeks into that I had a stress fracture on my left foot!! Grrr! After surgery, my appetite was pretty light any how so I just set my calories to sedentary and ate with in that range. I lost 6lbs in that 6week period. I unfortunately put it back on :(. But have not gained any extra either. I have to say I am so glad I did have the surgery! I have never felt better nor have I had so much energy!!! It was well worth it! I am now doing T25 and would have never done this before. Love it!! Best of luck to you and let me know if you have any questions.
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I have ne experience with a hysterectomy, but I had laprascopic tubal ligation in August. Even that relatively simple procedure, I needed the full six weeks for my abdomen to fully recover. I wish you luck with your surgery and recovery
  • tiffany5446
    tiffany5446 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll keep you posted