Protein

Options
Ok so I am on 1300 calories a day and it says I should have 65g of protein a day. I am eating healthy but I go over protein everyday by like 30-50g. My trainer said I need to lower my protein intake. Any ideas???

Replies

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Why does your trainer want you to lower your protein? Is there something wrong with your kidneys?
  • Terrie724
    Terrie724 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I dont know
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting weight you eat that protein, eat it! I'm I'm 1420 cals and 141g of protein.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Are you going over your calories, or just your protein is higher than you have your goal set for? Unless you have a problem with your kidneys, I don't see what the big deal is. As long as you're able to get through your workouts on lower carbs.
  • Terrie724
    Options
    I have a problem eating all my calories. I work out with the trainer 2 days a week and I do cardio 3 days a week. Protein is the only one I ever go over on. I also have like 25g fat so I try to keep that low.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When your trainer says something that makes you go "huh?", make sure you give it a little research first. You can then bring it up with her/him, or in this case-just keep eating dat protein.
  • Terrie724
    Options
    So why does myfitnesspal say to only have 65g a day...which is impossible
  • Terrie724
    Options
    sorry for all the questions...I am so new at this and just want to make sure and do it the right way
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Terrie724 wrote: »
    So why does myfitnesspal say to only have 65g a day...which is impossible

You can adjust your macros on your own. A lot of us do. Especially if we're lifting. Also, some people have diet preferences that work better for their bodies.
  • biffmon
    biffmon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Safe rule of thumb is 1 gram of protein for every pound you weigh. Unless you have a health issue it does seem strange that your trainer would tell you to eat less because most people really don't get enough. Here is a fairly balanced article on protein consumption - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/maki1.htm
  • Terrie724
    Options
    Thank you all for the info....
  • torcol1
    torcol1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Ok so I am on 1300 calories a day and it says I should have 65g of protein a day. I am eating healthy but I go over protein everyday by like 30-50g. My trainer said I need to lower my protein intake. Any ideas???

• torcol1
    Options
    I am also on a 1200-1300 calories a day, my advice is use the size of your hand to measure how much protein you eat per meal. Protein should be at least 4oz per meal or snack. Your hand may be a little smaller or larger than 4oz but you should be ok.
  • torcol1
    Options
    But as others have stated, unless you have a health issue you should be ok. Do your research.

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    MFP is set with a carb/protein/fat split that includes only 20% of your calories in protein, 50% carbs and 30% fat. Most of us change it, since 20% protein is a minimum requirement for functioning, not a minimum requirement for building muscle. 25-30% protein is much more reasonable for people who lift. This will ensure that you have enough protein available for muscle repair.
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I was told the opposite by trainer and dietician MFP has it set at minimum not necessarily optimum if you are lifting and doing moderate cardio. I agree 1 gram per pound and since I upped it to around that with different kinds of protein (sources) I feel a lot better. I would ask why and realize they are there to guide you but you know your own body best is what my trainer has said more than once listen to your body.