Any older folks out there? Been there, done that got the t-shirt. Empty nester starting over

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
Two years ago my mantra was I'd be 50, fit and fabulous and I did. Did a 5k or 10k every month and lost 27 pounds. Things were going good but life got in the way and here I am back at 200 lbs. At 5'8" no one really believes I'm at that number. Started back to Zumba and one of the things our instructor says is 80 percent diet. I also lost weight and kept it off for 3 years doing Weight Watchers. This time I'm focusing on whole foods and trying to be vegetarian. Started gaining weight when the kids started school but now they are both off at college and it's just me and my skinny hubby. Time to get serious again. Looking for encouragement.

Replies

• dittybug2001
    Options
    You can do this for sure. I would be happy to help give you support
  • luluismydog
    Options
    :::::waving::::: Yeah hi, I'm an older person. You can do this, just be patient and persistent and keep after it. I agree with your instructor, it's SO much about diet -- but the exercise can really support the nutrition part.
  • misicat2014
    Options
    Hi, I'm new too...just joined this morning. I in my 50's and have struggled with the weight roller coaster for years. I'd really like to get off this ride. Maybe we can encourage each other. We're eating mostly organically as of last year, but are not vegetarians...although by eating more fresh fruit and veggies and making organic soups with fresh ingredients, I've managed to get some weight off, but it's still hard.

We can do this...

• barbz2119
    barbz2119 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im in my 50s, but in denial that I am an 'older' person :) I was a skinny child and put on once I started office work as a young adult. Even when doing a boot camp workout 3x a week I never lost and that's when I realized it is mostly about diet, but you need the exercise too. I find the tracking on here so easy, you dont have to do without anything, but if you do indulge, you have to pay it back by exercising, if that makes sense.
    I've became a vegetarian over 40 years ago, but started adding some seafood a few years back, so guess its a pescatarian now??
    All of you, feel free to add me and I will give your all the support I can.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Define 'older'....
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I guess I quality as older, I am 63. Been on MFP 31 months. Have lost 160+ pounds. It is mostly about eating at a calorie deficit, but regular exercise helps me a lot. I did not start walking until I had lost 90#, but now I work out at the gym at work M-F mornings and at least go for long walks on the weekends.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for all the positive replies. Daughter popped in from college so will do my treadmill when she heads back. By "older" I was thinking 50 and up. Most of the posts I Was seeing we're from 20 something's. I work a desk job "off-site" so hubby and I are together 24/7. As soon as they said we'd be working from the house I joined th gym. My plan when it works is I clock out and head for the gym. Only problem is we don't eat til around 8 pm even with hubby starting dinner or cooking it all. It's a work in progress. Now that I'm back in exercise mode I have to get my head straight about the food. Look forward to "talking" to ya soon...
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    We're about the same age; I just turned 52. My wife and I are both trying to lose. She's a vegetarian/pescatarian; I'm an omnivore. The thing I like about MFP is that while most of the calories that go into the daily equation are due to diet, you can also get credit for exercise you do. I see you on a bicycle in your profile picture. Use one of the tracking apps (runtastic, endomondo, etc.) to track your rides, and they will automagically tell MFP how much you rode. I like that a lot. You can see the contributions of those calories burned.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yeah, those dang whippersnappers lose weight and get fit just be tapping on their i-thingamajigs. Whereas I swear I get an extra mailing of pounds on each birthday.

I have a pretty "different" lifestyle on some levels, since I live overseas, but I definitely grapple with all those interesting aspects of making it this far -- like lower metabolism, increased capacity to make convincing excuses, etc :smile: I work at eating organically, am (relatively) low-carb, try to get exercise in spite of a foot problem (which I'm afraid came with that birthday mailing), etc ... oh well, we've survived disco and worse, we can do this!
  • beachinit46
    beachinit46 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have been on the same rollercoaster. i did great for a while or so i thought, i was losing so much weight and walked the 4 miles to work every day but .... no, hard as i tried it was not me. i had stage 3b/4 cancer growing and stealing the nutrients. i foght that for some years (3) and finaly was on my way to celebrate with family. horrific car accident on the way there after my last treatment left me in a coma for 5 months and a rehabilitation/nursing facility for some time after that. then i did a year in bed with iv antibiotics (cause my bones picked up some nastys while they were on the outside laying in the surrounding grass) then 4 years in a wheel chair and a year after that with a walker and crutches relearning to walk. needless to say all those years of not being able to move and still eating realy puts the weight on and completely destroys core muscles. very hard to come back from. im for sure in for support if you need it. i have bad days but i wont quit.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    You got this! =D
  • kingscrown
    kingscrown Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I'm an exerciser and clean eater. If interested add me.
  • fit_abbey
    Options
    I'm in the lower end of 60s, and had too many extra pounds added on during the past few years of being a caretaker. Now I am alone in my house, and fluctuate between wanting to lose the extra pounds vs not having interest in even getting dressed some days. I've used food truly as a way to capture moments of comfort. Now I'm paying the price 'cuz my clothes look awful on my overweight body. I'm tired of it.

Anyone looking to give mutual support, add me as a friend.
  • res0703
    res0703 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done weight watchers since 2003 lost 30 lbs back then . Now gained it all back.. Ugh. Have been trying to get motivated on weight watchers and just can't seem to do it. My son recommended trying something new. Same deal i am late 50's and falling off the weight watcher band wagon...
  • deniseedge61
    deniseedge61 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I just moved and for the first time in my life, living alone (except my furbabies). I'm almost 53 and have changed careers from active to a desk job and have gained 10 lbs in 3 months. Must get this off, I refuse to buy larger clothes. I have also done WW, but with one income, I cannot afford it. I live in an apartment complex with a gym, do I visit it? I have no one to hold me accountable, both kids live 2 hours away. I'm with you...
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and there is an upside. Turning 50 gave me the feeling that I was heading into a new exciting chapter in my life and helped me decide to take (more) control over my weight and health. I agree that weight loss is mainly about diet but I remember a book that referred to a healthy diet and consistent exercise routine as the "virtuous circle". I would also strongly recommend weight training because - what it is the point of being thin if you still have "batwings" and have to wear long sleeves? ;)
  • sheliajim
    Options
    Your story could be mine, I am right there with you, not 50 yet but knocking on the door. Please feel free to add me. I think we can all use a little motivation and encouragement of one another.
  • MadamMina
    MadamMina Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It could have been me telling the story. Still young at heart and soul, but 40+ on the counter.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 -- will be 56 next month -- eek! I've had good luck with MFP and am down around 9 lbs. since January of this year, still aiming for 10, but it's challenging. I need to update my profile pic because I am now thinner than that (I was probably around 120-122 lbs). Both my age and size give me a very low calorie target. I work out a lot -- strength training 3-5 days a week, plus walking 30 minutes, and usually some other cardio. I have seen a lot of changes in my body and am down a pants size. It can be done, but it's a lot harder than when I was younger. The irony is more aches and pains and fatigue at this age than when I was younger, and I have to be extremely vigilant. Had two cheat days this week and usually pay for those with a 2-3 lb. gain that it takes me most of the week to get rid of.
  • Shewolfgurl
    Options
    57 years done.. a whole lot more livin' to do!! I'm working towards losing weight and getting healthier while dealing with muscular dystrophy (myasthenia gravis variety). Recently lost about 10-15 lbs after moving from GA to FL... sorta by accident and just by being around people again. My chosen method the alternate day diet (JUDDD) combine with lowering carbs and walking as often as I am able. Great to see others here who dedicated to healthy living to the end!!