In need of some help and support!!!

Options
I'm getting married in 9 months and in desperate need of help and support to fit into a wedding dress with confidence!
I'm finding it so difficult to eat healthy when I live with 2 men whose idea of cooking is grabbing a menu and a phone! Don't get me wrong, I'm not a saint when it comes to eating habits myself but after working a 12 hour shift in a busy A&E department the last thing I want to do when I get home is cook for 3 adults!
I need help!
I quite regularly leave the house in the morning having not had time for breakfast which means all 3 of my meals are had in a staff room with a microwave or the restaurant downstairs so a lot of my food needs to be eaten on the go!
Any tips would be great, any recipes that can be prepared the day before would be a big help! I'm at a loss!
HELP ME! v :s

Replies

• NikkiJanye73
    NikkiJanye73 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Im the same but i have just taken my rivita to work and buy fruit and leave it at work I use marmite on my rivita and this stops the temptation to eat crap at lunch time

The evening meal thing Is normally just salad and chichen or tuna
  • covens04
    covens04 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I work similar hours and often work weekends. I think the best thing I was given advice wise was preparation. When living a busy life, everything gets in the way. It comes down to your "why" and how bad you want to change. I try to dedicate Sundays to think about the upcoming week with my wife. I am not a big breakfast person, so I drink my meal replacement shake in the morning and I bring some fruit and granola for later in the morning. I have plenty of snacks throughout the day when I have time. What are you doing for exercise as well? Good luck. Feel free to add me if I can be of more help!
  • hayleykh90
    hayleykh90 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Im the same but i have just taken my rivita to work and buy fruit and leave it at work I use marmite on my rivita and this stops the temptation to eat crap at lunch time

The evening meal thing Is normally just salad and chichen or tuna

Thank you Nikki, I took to work with me yesterday a grilled turkey salad and it was amazing! Thank you for that idea! The idea of cold, dry meat had always put me off but after giving it a go my mind has completely changed!

covens04 wrote: »
    I completely understand. I work similar hours and often work weekends. I think the best thing I was given advice wise was preparation. When living a busy life, everything gets in the way. It comes down to your "why" and how bad you want to change. I try to dedicate Sundays to think about the upcoming week with my wife. I am not a big breakfast person, so I drink my meal replacement shake in the morning and I bring some fruit and granola for later in the morning. I have plenty of snacks throughout the day when I have time. What are you doing for exercise as well? Good luck. Feel free to add me if I can be of more help!

You're right convens04, I prepared all my meals yesterday and stayed on track, not one slip up! Knowing I had something ready for my next meal/snack meant my mind didn't wander to what the cafe downstairs had to offer! Thank you! I admit I'm not great when it comes to exercise! I do enough of that running around at work but on my days off I usually do an hour kick boxing work out and take my dog for long power walks!
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I work the night shift, and since dinner is the first meal I eat when I wake up (cuz that's when my bf gets home) I use the crock pot a lot. Throw stuff in there before I go to bed, its done by the time I wake up. You can get the crock pot set up in the morning and come home to an awesome smelling house (well maybe with 2 men that may not be true.....) and dinner ready.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Examine the menu, find the 2-3 items that you know you can eat without blowing the calorie account, and try to plan the low cal meals in advance
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Cook in bulk when you're not at work and then you can just defrost it in the microwave when you get home.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Why are you getting home after a 12h shift and thinking of cooking for two grown men? Why cant they deal with their own food or better why cant they cook for you?

I get the feeling your day to day is short on time and a bit haphazard, with what you eat being the casualty, so as said above planning and preplanning has to be the way to go.

I would add:

Make sure you shop effectively to ensure you have the ingredients you need to hand, especially fruit and veg. Get the boys to do the shopping for you or if not reliable then order over the net if you dont have time to shop. Make sure you have enough stuff so that you always have choice.
    Have a good breakfast or early morning meal.

Absolutely agree with above about preplanning and pre preparing meals.
    the crockpot is a very good siggestion, because if you have a microwave at work then you cna take in a pre measured amount of whatever deliciousness you have coooked up and eat that. I would go as far to say you can cook some soup/ casserole, which is nutritious and deals with all the nurient and calorie side, without you having to think or choose. I save those plastic soup containers or you cna get about 8 for £1 in £land or similar. You cna cram loads of veg in. Fryit is also a great snack especially the banana.

You can cook several portions at once and then store them in the fridge or freezer. The key is that you realise you are time starved, so put time aside to prepare so you just grab the snack or packed lunch out of the firdge or when you get home you can easily prepare.
    For the period of your diet i.e now till the wedding, then tell the boys they can eat what you are having, learn to cook themselves or get on the phone. This will help you focus on your own needs.
  • JordynJ83
    JordynJ83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I work through multiple meals as well, it's definitely a challenge. I keep fruit and nuts at my desk, which helps. The mason jar salad recipes on pintrest are awesome. Several people I work with do them, even men! Definitely cooking in bulk using the crock pot is a great way to have foods you love, microwave ready, and you know exactly what's in them. Good luck!!!