Best way to sautee' veggies????

Options
mberi66
mberi66 Posts: 17 Member
I like to add stuff to my eggs like peppers, onions, etc. Whats the healthiest way to sautee this stuff before I add it to my breakfast?

Replies

• VixFit2011
    VixFit2011 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    In olive oil.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    I use either regular PAM (Canola oil) or olive oil spray.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I use olive oil spray. Crisco makes it. only 1 calorie per 1 second spray. you save LOTS of calories that way.
  • mberi66
    mberi66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So you just give the pan a quick spray and your good to go???
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Yep! That's what I do at least haha. More than a second granted.
  • Crystal817
    Crystal817 Posts: 2,021 Member
    Options
    Depending on what I'm cooking, I will give it a good 3-4 second spray.
  • jeannas
    jeannas Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    The best and quickest way I have found is to microwave (if you have one) chopped green pepper and broccoli so they are a little bit soft (two minutes or so depending on how big the pieces are). Then I would heat the pan on medium and use olive oil spray and toss in the vegetables...add the eggs, cheese as you would usually do. I also love to add onion to my eggs.

Good luck!
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use straight olive oil. One quick turn of the pan and you are good to go.

Cooking Tip from Chef Dave: Hot pan - cold oil - food won't stick! (He is the instructor where I take cooking classes)
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I do a quick spray of Pam, and then later when it's cooking I add a tablespoon or two of water so it doesn't stick. Might not be true "sauteeing" but it saves on calories and my food doesn't stick.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have somethig called an olive oil mister. I always use it for sauteing anything. Its basically the same idea as pam cooking spray but without all the chemicals and bad stuff. You put your own olive oil in it and pump the top to make it spray like an aerosol, and it comes out just like pam. I think its called a Misto. I got it a bed bath & beyond, but I'm sure they have them at any type of home store.
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The best and quickest way I have found is to microwave (if you have one) chopped green pepper and broccoli so they are a little bit soft (two minutes or so depending on how big the pieces are). Then I would heat the pan on medium and use olive oil spray and toss in the vegetables...add the eggs, cheese as you would usually do. I also love to add onion to my eggs.

Good luck!

I totally agree with microwaving first. No fat added at that point.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    Like others have said....I use cooking spray.
  • Curry0724
    Curry0724 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    A little tip that I learned if you are trying to sautee' brocolli, let it sit in boiling water for about 30 seconds, or until it gets bright green. Then dump out the water. Then (like many other people said) I just spray the pan with some PAM and let it sautee that way. Your veggies will not be as soggy if you just use the spray. They get a little crispier taste due to the lack of oil. I like it that way though :)
  • JunkFoodJane
    JunkFoodJane Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ive been using a tiny bit of coconut oil. It's solid, so just a dab on a warming pan can be spread all around to keep sticking and burning to a minimum, and I really love the taste.
  • cc2r1511
    cc2r1511 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    a quick spray of pam!
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Ive been using a tiny bit of coconut oil. It's solid, so just a dab on a warming pan can be spread all around to keep sticking and burning to a minimum, and I really love the taste.

THIIIIISSSS THIS THIS THIS!!! no trans fats (cause unfortunatly all veggie oils, ESPECIALLY canola and corn oils when heated turn over to the bad fats area) no flavor and high smoke point, and it takes very little to sautee
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I use a spray of pam sometimes, but lately i have been using a bit of low sodium chicken broth and for mushrooms i add basalmic vinegar. Doesn't stick and no fat really. To make the veggies taste awesome, i add a bit of yellow hot pepper, green onions and garlic :)
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Pam fry them bad boys.
  • TCrawford70
    TCrawford70 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I like to barely mist my veggies with olive oil and roast them in the oven @ 450 degrees until they are done. I do large amounts at a time and keep a bowl in the fridge to use for the week. Alot more flavor then nuking or steaming, a real time saver also. Enjoy!:tongue: