Best Brown Rice! At long last! Hurrah!

Options
ikkinr20
ikkinr20 Posts: 27 Member
I stood in the kitchen, over yet another slimy, failed, mushpot attempt at brown rice and declared rather loudly, "I will never try to make this again!" I decided Uncle Ben's and Minute Rice would just have to be the way of life for me.

But then....
I watched an old episode of Good Eats and Alton explained all things scientific about why I was always failing and then shared his fail proof method. And let me tell you, he was right!!

If anyone else has had a battle with the brown stuff like me, I urge you to try the recipe found here:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe.html

There's nothing mushy about it. There's nothing raw about it. There's nothing burnt about it. There's nothing flavorless about it.

Finally!

(and it also freezes very well) :wink:

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe. You might be surprised to know that parboiled rice (Uncle Ben's) has a lower glycemic value than even brown rice.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    noms! :)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I love brown rice, but no matter what I do, it still comes out all crunchy when I make it.
  • chulisGonzalez
    chulisGonzalez Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Will definitely give it a shot! My brown rice is always so bland and flavorless....makes me wanna cry :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Looks good. Honestly I use the 'boil in the bag' stuff and it always turns out great, lol.
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I second that recipe! Works every time!
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I've used Alton Brown's recipe for several years, it never disappoints!
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm going to have to try this! :D
  • rockstrong
    rockstrong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. I'm not a fan of brown rice but someone recently told me about the benefits of brown rice and beans for breakfast so I'm going to try it. :)