Exciting things to do with Quinoa?

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    I have used it as a rice substitute, (for the high protein count among other reasons) but i am stuck for something more exciting to do with it?

Does anyone have a good recipe? or can point me to a good place to get ideas?

Most of the recipe books have say *add stock cube and onion... which is fine... but surely there must be something more... right?

I make a salad with quinoa.

Boil the quinoa in salted water, rinse, and chill. Then add:
    Diced roasted beets
    Feta cheese crumbled
    dried sultanas
    chopped flat leaf parsley
    lemon zest
    black pepper
    salt

then I'll mix it with girard's champagne salad dressing, or a nicely made vinagrette.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Casserole

Ingredients
    • 1 cup water
    • 2 tablespoons pumpkin puree
    • ¼ cup raw quinoa – red or white would work
    • 1 tbsp maple syrup
    • 1 tsp coconut oil
    • ¼ tsp gluten-free pure vanilla extract
    • ½ tsp ground cinnamon
    • pinch ground nutmeg
    • pinch ground ginger
    Topping:
    • 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
    • 1 tbsp maple syrup
    • 1.5 tbsp finely ground almond flour
    • ¼ cup pecans, chopped
    Instructions
    1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly oil a 4 cup casserole dish. [I used a small dab of coconut oil]
    2. In a small bowl combine all ingredients, minus the topping. Stir until fully mixed, then pour into prepared casserole dish.
    3. Cover with a tight lid and cook for 45-50 minutes.
    4. Meanwhile, combine all topping ingredients. After the 50 minutes are up, remove casserole from oven and sprinkle topping over top of the casserole.
    5. Return to the oven and cook uncovered for another 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
    Notes
    When you place the topping over the top, there should still be some liquid left in the dish. Baking it uncovered for the remaining of the cooking time will evaporate the liquid.

Pumpkin Spice Quinoa Breakfast Cake

Ingredients
    • ½ cup quinoa flakes
    • ⅓ cup canned pumpkin
    • ⅓ cup not from concentrate apple juice
    • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
    • 1 tablespoon coconut nectar (optional)
    • 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
    Instructions
    1. Prepare a 16oz. microwave/oven safe dish by oiling with a dab of coconut oil. Set aside. Drop all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Press mixture into prepare dish and even out with fork.
    2. Microwave option: Place in the microwave and cook for 3 minutes. You’ll know when it’s done when it rises slightly, is harder to the touch, and pulls away from the sides of the dish. Don’t bake it too long, or you’ll have a Frisbee!
    3. Oven option: Place in a preheated oven at 350F and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
    4. Allow to rest for 1 minute before tipping over onto a plate and drizzling with coconut butter. Or, prepare in jar as I did with this version.

Quinoa Pizza Bites
    Ingredients
    1 cup uncooked quinoa
    2 large organic, pasture-raised eggs
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped (or 2 tablespoons dried)
    1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
    1/2 tsp sea salt
    2 cups spinach
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp dried oregano
    Turkey pepperoni (organic)
    Pizza sauce for dipping
    Directions
    Place the quinoa and two cups of water in a covered pot. Bring to boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or until quinoa is tender.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together all ingredients, except pizza sauce, in a medium mixing bowl. Distribute mixture into a greased mini muffin tin, filling each cup to the top (one heaping tablespoon each), and press down gently to compact.
    Top with pepperoni. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.

(sorry, I have no credit for the origin of those recipes, I just copy/paste them into a doc)
  • rockstrong
    rockstrong Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This Spinach Artichoke Quinoa Bake recipe from Making Thyme for Health is crazy delicious:

makingthymeforhealth.com/2014/02/16/spinach-artichoke-quinoa-casserole/

• rockstrong
    Options
    Looks good, I'll try it.
  • rockstrong
    Options
    looking forward to trying these, thanks!
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    quinoa tabbouleh -- just take your favorite tabbouleh recipe and use quinoa instead of bulgur wheat. Probably my favorite way to have it.

If you haven't tried making tabbouleh before, basic recipe is:
    grain -- bulgur or quinoa
    olive oil + lemon juice dressing (I use about a 1:1 ratio)
    fresh garlic, pressed or minced
    fresh parsley (lots), chopped
    raw tomato, chopped
    green onion, both greens & whites, fresh, chopped

Some people use mint as well. I prefer it with just parsley.

Let it sit for a bit in the fridge before serving to let the flavors mesh.
  • maxcanuck
    maxcanuck Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love quinoa in salads… I make a Greek salad with cubed chicken breast, red peppers, cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, light feta cheese with a dressing of olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, and pepper. I also like a southwestern one with chicken (optional), black beans, cucumber, tomatoes, red pepper, green onions, lots of cilantro, and a dressing of olive oil, lime juice, dijon mustard, a touch of honey, cumin, and pepper.

The quinoa definitely has more flavour if you cook it in a chicken or vegetable broth instead of water… I try to use one with no salt added to cut down on the sodium.
  • aksottosanti
    Options
    One of my fav's is to toss with a dressing mixture of lemon and a small amount of honey then add sliced green onion, yellow or white corn (I use frozen or fresh - not canned) green onions and top with feta cheese!
  • ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    One of my fav's is to toss with a dressing mixture of lemon and a small amount of honey then add sliced green onion, yellow or white corn (I use frozen or fresh - not canned) green onions and top with feta cheese!

That. Sounds. HEAVENLY! Will have to try it!
  • harribeau2012
    harribeau2012 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Make a pot of it, take it on the train, then flick blobs of it at morning commuters.

LOL....I was thinking make a pot and take it on a rollercoaster, that could be exciting.

I actually don't know, it's like cous cous isn't it? as in, great if you add lots to it? what about adding cream and sugar to it and making rice pudding? but well with quinoa

the stuffed peppers look yum

• 78105234a
    78105234a Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erose11213
    erose11213 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly have a recipe because I kind of just guesstimate but I got the idea on Pinterest. I usually add a little EVOO (the smallest bit) to a pan and add some chopped garlic and jalapeño. Add some diced red onion, tomato, etc etc (sometimes i do corn, red or green peppers, whatever I have on hand.) then I do about 1/3 of a can of black beans and 1/4 cub dry quinoa. Then I add about the same in water (add a little more as it cooks but I start with 1/4 cup), some seasoning (cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper). Mix it up, cover, and let simmer for about 15-20 min til quinoa is cooked and yummy. Again, adding a tad bit of water here and there. I like this recipe because you can do a lot with it and add/substitute different veggies of your choice. When I make it this way I add avocado and a little dollop of Greek yogurt once plated. I wish I could find the recipe on Pinterest but I cannot right now.
  • Cheermamasita
    Cheermamasita Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This recipe came together by chance. It is yummy, bright and fresh. A friend perfected the dressing. You can add or subtract fruits or veggies that you prefer. Enjoy!
    Quinoa Salad

2 cups cooked quinoa, chilled
    1/4 cup diced red onion
    2 mango's diced
    1/4 cup toasted diced walnuts or pecans
    1/2 bunch cilantro, finely diced
    1/2 red pepper, thin small slices
    1/2 yellow pepper, thin small slices
    3 tablespoons feta cheese
    4 ripe strawberries, sliced
    toss together

Dressing
    1/2 cup citrus flavored olive oil
    juice of 1 lime
    1 tsp lime zest
    1/4 cup of seasoned rice vinegar or flavored balsamic vinegar
    2 Tablespoons of sugar (may use agave or honey)
    1/2 tsp. kosher salt
    1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,639 Member
    Options
    I like quinoa in salads. I make one based on something I once ate at cafe. Cooked quinoa, shelled cooked edamame, blanched snow peas, a little sun dried tomato, halved cherry tomato. Add some vinaigrette made with 1 part balsamic vinegar to 3 parts olive oil.
  • littlej01
    littlej01 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use it to make mac & cheese. There's recipes online, I just tweak them a little to lose some calories. So good.
  • Kitti03
    Kitti03 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Google Whole Foods California Quinoa Salad.
    It has edamame, mango, red bell pepper, red onion, coconut flakes, slivered almonds, raisins, and balsamic vinegar.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    I fed mine to my worm farm - they love it. Then I use the compost they make and grow something worth eating; like peppers and tomatoes so all is not lost!
  • mlt2908
    mlt2908 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I made this easy crockpot recipe over the weekend and it was GOOD...chicken, sweet potatoes, black beans, tomatoes, and quinoa....all healthy stuff (although I'm sure the sodium is high):

http://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/slow-cooker-sweet-potato-chicken-and-quinoa-soup/#_a5y_p=2692395