How much weight should I lose? [pic]

Options
2»

Replies

• sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    in 23 pounds I will come back to this post and re-post swim suit pics and ask the same question! :)

I think this statement was meant in lighthearted jesting, but I did want to say: the only person whose opinion about your ideal weight matters is yours and your doctor.

I know you may only be using this thread as a "gut check" to confirm suspicions you already have one way or the other, but it's hard to tell over text, so I just thought I'd throw that out there.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Just keep going, you'll know when you get there.
  • loribethrice
    loribethrice Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and was 204 when I started. I'm now 148 and my goal is 140. If I'm still unhappy there then I'll take it to 135 which is as low as I can go on the BMI scale and still be considered healthy. I still think I look pudgy and awful at 148, so something tells me I will want to go to 135.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'd aim for 150 and see from there.
  • mbbseb
    mbbseb Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Wow you look great for 183. My lord. Where would the weight come off ???? Maybe just shoot for 160 (23 lbs). No clue how or where the weight will come off. You look just like I do (I'm 112 lbs but 5 2) well when not pregnant. Ha

You do look great, we are never happy with our weight. I would strive for 160 as well. Any smaller you will look too skinny and will more than likely not stay there. Just my opinion. I have a sister 5'5" @ 145 about and she looks skinny to me. You will never get to a perfect size because you will continue to change your goal. Just love yourself at any size. Eat right exercise and strive to be healthy.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Honestly? You look really good. Start with 10lbs and see how you look/feel. I'm only 5'3 and when I weighed 150, I got so many compliments, people thought I was in my 130's. I did lift weights 3x a week so I think the toning made me look much smaller.
  • 1992mittens13
    1992mittens13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    The only advice I could ever give to this: Just start. Don't worry about the number. Just start. Start and don't stop. Watch your clothes get lose, your body build muscle and become firm. Screw the number! Just make your body happy, and become fit and healthy!
  • jenschroll
    jenschroll Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    OP: Just start. You don't need a number to tell you that you like how you look. We see lots of people who reached their goal and still don't like how they look. Most of them did no strength training and their body composititon isn't appealing to them. Add some strength training in from the start and go off what you see in the mirror.

This is pretty good advice right here.
  • anovak1009
    anovak1009 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would say just start with small goals like you have been. If you get to a point where you feel healthy and feel good about yourself, then you know you've met your goal. A number can mean so many different things on different people. I'm 5'9" and when I got married I was 137lbs, which I thought looked great, but I was borderline too skinny in my own opinion. The stress of the wedding made me lose that extra weight. I have always normally been around 145-150lbs and felt great there. After 2 kids, I ended up maxing at 203lbs. I lost 20lbs very gradually over about a year because I didn't change my diet or exercise. I just started Zumba 2 weeks ago and between that and changing my calorie intake I've already lost 3lbs (started at 183, now 180). My first goal is 167, which was my weight before getting pregnant the second time, and is also the very top of a "normal" BMI for me. My 2nd goal is getting around that 150lb mark like I was before kids. Sorry for the book lol, but as long as you are happy with your progress, then a number is far less important. :smile: Good luck!
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Tiamo719 wrote: »

OP: Just start. You don't need a number to tell you that you like how you look. We see lots of people who reached their goal and still don't like how they look. Most of them did no strength training and their body composititon isn't appealing to them. Add some strength training in from the start and go off what you see in the mirror.

I like this. ^^^ I'M @122 lbs and I'm inches shorter than you. I don't look sickly or anything and i'm very happy with where i am but I personally think I could even stand to gain some muscle (weight). So I'm not sure its appropriate for you. I was also aiming for a lighter goal yet coming upon 125 lbs I started to feel really comfortable so I decided to maintain i.e. you'll just have to feel it out. If seeing the decrease in numbers keeps you on track maybe focus more on inches, not pounds. And yes, strength train!!
  • lisaducharme54
    lisaducharme54 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I would like to clarify sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean offense when I told her that going down below 165 would look unhealthy I was only talking to her not anybody else. I was specifically telling her because she looks good at her current weight too shoot for 165 thinking if she went lower it might not look right. Sorry for the confusion.
    Lisa
  • lisaducharme54
    Options
    another thing if she wants to go lower that is fine too as long as she doesn't listen to the weird guidelines of having to be at 122. OP I do believe you should take it ten pounds and then see what you think. Good luck! :)
  • lisaducharme54
    Options
    Oh and talk to your doctor. ;)
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I started at 180 with a goal of 120. I'm now 108 shooting for 104. It all changes!
  • Sh3rl0ckH0lm3s
    Sh3rl0ckH0lm3s Posts: 10 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm 5'8.5" and started at 183 so we are very similar and I'm currently 171. I have a medium/large frame I look "slim and healthy" at 154 (which is my goal)

I've got a friend however who is the same height as me but with a v. small frame (tiny wrists, feet, head, hip bones - generally a smaller skeleton) and she looks slim and healthy at 125lbs, whereas for me I start to look skeletal at 140.... if I personally got down to 125lbs considering I can see my hipbones now I would look at death's door!

So don't feel pressured to go any lower than would suit your body! I've learnt from that mistake. Maybe aim for 30lbs and re-adjust? You might find that's even too much! Hope that helps, feel free to add me as we seem to have similar goals. :smile: