Fat loss and macros? Help!

1aubrey1
1aubrey1 Posts: 3
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello,
I am new to counting macros and am just trying to figure out what is best for me. My overall goal is fat loss while maintaining as much muscle as possible. I plan on doing a mixture of cardio and some light strength training 4-5 days per week. My current weight is 142 lbs, and i'd like to get to about 130 and lower my body fat %. My body fat is approx. 23% and my muscle is approx. 36%. Using the TDEE calculator set to sedentary I have the following:
Calories - 1386
Carbs - 162g
Protein - 98.4
Fat - 38.3

Is this reasonable for my goals?

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    You are not eating enough calories.

It's fine to do NEAT method (MFP default) and then eat back calories. Calculate your energy needs before exercise from a website like health-calc.com or exrx.net (average things out) and then log and eat back exercise calories. From the calculators, subtract 10%, max 15%. Set as goal.

Your protein goal is also a bit low. 110g would work better if your BF is truly 23%.
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    edited October 2014
    Yup if you're calculating with TDEE (I use that), then sedatary means you do not workout and you have a full 8 hour desk job.

TDEE includes your exercise....the MFP method is BEFORE exercise.

I use TDEE and use the moderately active choice...I have a desk job, but I work out 6 days per week (with 3 -4 days very intense). Then after getting that number, I drop it 20 - 25% to get my daily calorie needs. That's what I eat everyday regardless of workouts....

I've lost about 4-5 pounds per month consistently to date with no plateau (of course your food logging has to be measured and truthful).

Here's a good calculator for TDEE: http://www.calculatorlab.com/HowDoIMeetMyWeightLossGoal/index.php#cutby30

You want to go slow to try to retain muscle. Lift weights too.

PS: to use the TDEE ...in MFP , choose GOALS / CUSTOM and plug in your daily calories and protein/carb/fat ratios...don't bother with exercise recordings...