120lbs down! Advice on goal-weight, and stop tracking needed!

Options
SW: 264.6lbs, CW: 144.4lbs, GW: 132.3lbs (up for discussion!)

OKWVcZc.jpg
ZmojD8V.jpg
XePneLD.jpg
McgXpEe.jpg
(apologies for the tiredness in the latter 2, hair+makeup from yesterday due to late night shift)

Today I finally hit under 144.6lbs, which was my 120lbs-lost-mark!

Today is also exactly 10months since I started logging everything I ate, which has been amazing, and I couldn't have done it without.

However, I'm really tired of it now.

I feel like I make a lot of choices based on how to log it, rather than it actually being about my intake. Basically, I feel a bit trapped in it. I feel like I don't have the freedom to make my own choices on food, even if they are 'good' choices. My life has been put on hold to lose, which I was happy to do, but I'm also yearning to live more 'normal'.

I considered easing up on my logging, not weighing stuff etc. and just estimating, but whenever I've had a day where I do that, I seem to really over-estimate, and get stressed out about it.

I also make excel spreads of my intake etc., and I would really like those to stay accurate. So if I start to loosen up on logging, that data will 'contaminate' my spreadsheets.

I'm inclined to say it's all or nothing with logging for me. I know this is probably not the 'ideal' view, but that's how it feels to me.

Question is, when to stop? Should I stop today, say 10months was an excellent run, and then lose the rest w/o tracking? Should I aim for 11months, and thus perhaps don't stop logging before getting to maintance (since weightgrapher+my excel predictions say I should be at my target by then) I don't want to log for December, so a full 12months is out.

Which brings me to my next Q: How do I know when I'm "finished"?

I've been in normal BMI and BF% for a while now, but due to my small frame, I think it's reasonable to want to be on the lower half of normal BMI, which my half-weight goal is. Could/should I aim lower? 12lbs from now feels very soon, compared to how I view myself: Maybe my perception is a few pound behind, but I also feel like others input is biased due to the contrast, or simply that I am indeed at a 'good enough' weight now.

Others who've come a long way to your goal: Did you readjust it when you got there? How did you determine it?

Advice and input needed and appriciated! :)

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, look at you! Great job, and you are absolutely beautifully stunning!

I don't have any advice, just keep it up! :smiley:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    Bump for the advice. I'm in the same boat as you. Congrats on all your success!
    Kace, keep doing what you're doing! Great job!
  • luv_blu
    luv_blu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You lost 120 lbs in 10 months? You look great!!
  • thinfitfabulous
    thinfitfabulous Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I dont usually comment but I have to commend you, you look amazing congrats
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss - you look fantastic!

I also desired to lose the last few pounds and maintain without logging, or logging occasionally. I started with not logging one day a week, and just really paying attention to my serving sizes and getting the right balance of macros in each meal. It was really hard - I didn't trust myself to estimate correctly or believe that I was getting enough protein. Over time, it became easier, and I eventually went from one day a week to two, then four, then finally where I am now which is the last day I logged was 23 days ago. I have maintained my weight. I think it is like any other new habit, I had to learn how to do it, by practicing.

As far as your question of when to know if you are finished - that's a tough one. I changed my goal weight a couple of times and finally found what I think is good for me. I went more by what I saw in the mirror vs a scale weight. My original goal weight was just what I used to be a long time ago, and my revised goal weight was lower than that. Now I am working on body recomposition, which takes time to see results. I am on a progressive lifting program.

Good luck!
  • Christi102012
    Christi102012 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You look Fantastic! Congratulations on your success! Sorry I have no advice
  • simplybe13
    simplybe13 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!!! how did you do this?? in 10 months????? wow!!!
  • amblight
    amblight Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    luv_blu wrote: »
    Congratulations! You lost 120 lbs in 10 months? You look great!!

No, I lost 77lbs while logging these 10months, I had already lost 43lbs in 6 months before I created my MFP account :)
  • doublejays
    doublejays Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow...good work!! You look amazing!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Is it possible that you were too aggressive in your planning/logging? 120 in 10 months is a lot. ETA: I see it was in 16 months, some before your account here. I stand by my advice though...

What if you decided that you were going to maintain for 1-2 months or slow down your losses (ie upping your calories). Maybe that would make it seem more doable long term.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Well... congrats you look great and you did amazing to lose 120 in 10... I think you can stop logging if that is what you want to do, but keep an eye on the weight if it goes up, go back to logging... as for losing more, you do not look like you need to lose any at all BUT if you are going to stop logging I'd lose another 10 so that you have that to gain if needed without tripping out, while you are learning how to eat on your own (without logging).
  • doublejays
    doublejays Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why stop logging...it's the best way to stay on track!
  • Sauchie
    Sauchie Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    You look great.. Try to log every other day maybe? If your feeling trapped. I personally take a day off a week of logging but I do watch my intake. You did great.
  • JoanneLynn
    JoanneLynn Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Great job! I'm not going to stop logging when I reach my weight goal. I have been there before and quit weighing/logging and slowly overtime I gained all my weight back (over and over again). I am tired of yoyo dieting and I am not doing going to go back to my heavier weight. It takes just a few seconds to weigh and log. It doesn't put a burden on me. The heavier weight on my body does. Some people can stop logging, but I know I can't. But this is just me and I am 56 years old and know I wasted a lot of years being heavy.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    sun_fish wrote: »
    I think it is like any other new habit, I had to learn how to do it, by practicing.
    My original goal weight was just what I used to be a long time ago, and my revised goal weight was lower than that.
    Amazing transformation!
    If eating right is meant to be a lifestyle change, it will become "second-nature" to you. You'll just do it because that's what you do. Once you are comfortable with it, and you trust yourself to know what to do, just try not logging for a week and see how you do. I plan to stop logging eventually, or just log intermittently, but I don't feel it's second-nature to me yet. So I keep logging, although I miss a day or two now and then. I don't stress about it anymore.
    My ultimate goal weight of 115 is what I used to be in high school, which is probably not realistic, so I'm going for 120-125 for now. I'm 10 pounds away. When I get there, I would like to stay there so I want this to be a lifestyle change that I can stick with for life. I'm tired of losing the same 50 or 60 pounds over and over.
    You will find what works best for you.
  • amblight
    Options
    sun_fish wrote: »
    Congratulations on your loss - you look fantastic!

I also desired to lose the last few pounds and maintain without logging, or logging occasionally. I started with not logging one day a week, and just really paying attention to my serving sizes and getting the right balance of macros in each meal. It was really hard - I didn't trust myself to estimate correctly or believe that I was getting enough protein. Over time, it became easier, and I eventually went from one day a week to two, then four, then finally where I am now which is the last day I logged was 23 days ago. I have maintained my weight. I think it is like any other new habit, I had to learn how to do it, by practicing.

As far as your question of when to know if you are finished - that's a tough one. I changed my goal weight a couple of times and finally found what I think is good for me. I went more by what I saw in the mirror vs a scale weight. My original goal weight was just what I used to be a long time ago, and my revised goal weight was lower than that. Now I am working on body recomposition, which takes time to see results. I am on a progressive lifting program.

Good luck!

Cutting it down one day per. week at a time sound pretty good. Then the 'completionist' in me could say I did 10months of complete logging, one month of easing out of logging, and one month of loss with no logging, adding up the total to 12months before being completely at maintance.

I'm a bit scared to trust my own judgement on my weight, though: There are so many people who think they should lose weight when they shouldn't, and they don't even have the extra obstacle of the risk of seeing your past self rather than current. On the other hand, I don't want to settle on 'good enough', just because it's an even number or what ever.

I've considered going a bit 'too low' (not underweight, just low), and then bulking up on the weights, as I know it's better to be at a surplus for that. Did you start lifting progressively while losing? I strength-trained a lot in the spring while also at a deficit, saw great results scale-wise, but nothin really in muscle definition.
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Congrats! You look wonderful!!! I can't see where you need to lose more.

Regarding tracking. Rather than putting your life on hold for losing weight, try now to integrate your tracking with your life. Forget about the Excel chart for now. Practice measuring and eyeballing so you can trust your estimates. Keep tracking in MFP so you stay aware of what you are eating. Try to make it a part of your life, not something that takes over your life that you end up resenting.

My thought is that you need to get beyond the "all or nothing" thought process or you are likely to regain the weight if you opt to stop. Lifestyle changes that keep you healthy are never finished and so the results persist. Try to view the amazing work you have done for yourself as much more than a diet that has an end point. Transition into maintenance mode by slowly upping your caloric intake to a point where you no longer lose weight.

Best wishes and ENJOY your new body and your new lifestyle!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Nice work! I am more into the bodyfat % than the body weight, so I am lifting and taking my time, in a size small now but I will be done when I love how I look in a bikini. Of course I love I can put one on now and not want to scream. :)
  • amblight
    Options
    Is it possible that you were too aggressive in your planning/logging? 120 in 10 months is a lot. ETA: I see it was in 16 months, some before your account here. I stand by my advice though...

What if you decided that you were going to maintain for 1-2 months or slow down your losses (ie upping your calories). Maybe that would make it seem more doable long term.

It is very possible. I do tend to either be not interested at all, or to be obsessed in all aspects of life: When the switch went away from not-interested-at-all in regards to weightloss, I used that to keep up my drive. Thus, I do think I've been a bit obsessed with it: As I said, it does feel like my life has been on hold.

The 'caged' feeling is not from the calorie amount, though, I'm quite happy with what I eat, and how much etc. The lack-of-freedom is more due to the fact that I 'have' to weigh everything, and feel obligated to use that exact amount, instead of just adding and subtracking things to my plate or cooking depending on taste, how I feel etc. However, if I don't accurately track things, I feel guilty, or ever-estimate, and then feel stressed out about it - thus, it's holding me back from feeling 'normal' about even 'normal' food habits.