Spaghetti confusion-naise (Needing a diary check please)

Options
Vessecora
Vessecora Posts: 44
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
So I finally got around to working out the quantities of my Nan's monthly spaghetti bolognaise... Now, my diary is public, and I'd love it if anyone could take a look and tell me if it seems like I'm waaay off the mark for a 7-inch plate which I don't really pile up. Or whether it's this damn spaghetti that's just another of my high-calorie underestimating issues xD

After tonight, I definitely know not to carry on with my usual serving size though at least. Time for some spaghetti serving size research :blush:

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    Well, 2 ounces is a normal serving of pasta and yours is almost 7 ounces, dry, and your consuming close to 1/2 lb of ground meat in one serving, so if this is correct then your close on your numbers. If not then don't blame your nan.
  • Vessecora
    Options
    I measured cooked as my nan hates it when anyone messes with her cooking :P
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,007 Member
    Options
    Then you need to be more careful about your numbers. I cup of cooked pasta is generally around 200 calories and you have it down to close to 700. And if that's the case I highly doubt your consuming that many grams of meat in that serving as well.
  • Vessecora
    Options
    Ahhh thank you :) I'll definitely be measuring uncooked next month!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sorry ignore
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Something that might make it easier for your Granny - weigh all the pasta dry first, write down the number and divide by 56 to find the number of servings. Then weigh it cooked, and divide by the number of servings, and you'll know exactly how many servings you are eating without interfering too much with her cooking.

The sauce is going to be the annoying part though, you have to weigh all the ingredients before cooking, then again after cooking to see how big a serving is.
  • sparklefrogz
    sparklefrogz Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My vote is to go into the kitchen with her and ask her to teach you how she makes it. If she uses a precise recipe, great! You can copy that down and figure the servings yourself later, on your own time, without interrupting her to weigh everything. If she doesn't use an exact recipe, watch what she does put in and approximately how much (scribble notes to yourself as she goes). Try to replicate at home, where you can weigh everything in a leisurely fashion, and then you'll have a good idea of what she's using, how big a "serving" is, and roughly how many calories you can expect from a plateful.