Bodyfat results. Advice?

Options
So, I just went to have a BodPod Test done to determine body fat percentage. I'm 28, female, 5'7'', 131lbs at 26.9 percent body fat. 96lbs lean mass and 34.4 fat. I'm a little upset due to the fact based on googled pics, I put myself at around 20-22% body fat.

I hate being skinny fat!!!! I don't really know what to do now. I started on a bulk diet last weekend eating 2,200 a day meeting my macros to a T.

According to BodPod - my TDEE is 1,195 and an active person should be eating 2,079 cal a day. I lift 5 days week on a push/pull/legs routine. So, I'm assuming I fall under the "active" category.

I couldn't really follow what the girl was telling me after we were done. Not too sure if she knew what she was talking about. I heard her mention 1 time getting down to 109lbs!!!!! Wtf. I'm def not going down that route. She's got written down on the sheet 141lbs as goal. So, I'm assuming I need to stay on a clean bulk, but lower it to 2,079????? I just don't know about cutting bc I feel like I need a better frame of muscle. Although, I do feel like I'm holding some extra fat on the typical places, lower tummy and hips.

Thoughts???? Advice????? I go back in 3 months for a follow up. I'm just scared of going in the wrong direction.

Replies

• BryansBride
    BryansBride Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oops - my RMR is 1,195 calories. Not my TDEE
  • cbhubbybubble
    cbhubbybubble Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but looking at your pic, I have a hard time putting you at 26.9% bf, too. Of course I can't see your legs or anything else, but.....
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    The actual body fat percentage does not matter that much. At your size if you lost 9 lbs you would be at ~20%. But maybe you wouldn't look good at 20%. Just diet till you have the look that you want.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Looking at your pic, I have a hard time with your body fat % being that high, noting this and going to get mine measured a different way when I am ready for it. I just am not buying yours is that high...you can't have THAT much fat on your abs/hips, you look very lean.
  • BryansBride
    Options
    I'm researching a local hydrostatic test I could go to just for comparison. It's tough though, bc I'm in central MS, which I doubt I can find one fairly close. Of course these tell me where I got this test done, that it was the most accurate way (next to the hydrostatic test) So, it's got me wondering.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    It's just a number. Why stress over a number. If you like the way you look, get on with your life.
  • BryansBride
    Options
    It's just a number. Why stress over a number. If you like the way you look, get on with your life.

Well, the reason I'm asking is because I have some places on me where I feel like I feel like I could lose some fat, but I know you can't spot reduce or simultaneously lose fat/gain muscle. I was curious what people would suggest. Cut and lose more fat and potentially muscle, or just start a clean bulk?
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    That's a good number, so just like the scale, don't obsess. Sometimes we are just brutal with our bodies when it comes to withering self-criticism.
    My word to you is CONGRATULATIONS!
    You look great :)
  • BryansBride
    Options
    50sFit wrote: »
    That's a good number, so just like the scale, don't obsess. Sometimes we are just brutal with our bodies when it comes to withering self-criticism.
    My word to you is CONGRATULATIONS!
    You look great :)

Well thank you!!!! :-)
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    If you really want to find out what your bodyfat% is get a Dexa total body scan. I worked with these devices for years and they give the best results. I remember installing one of these devices in Tupelo back in 2007. Can't remember the name of the doctor's office.
  • philwrightfitness
    philwrightfitness Posts: 122
    edited October 2014
    Options
    212019156 wrote: »
    If you really want to find out what your bodyfat% is get a Dexa total body scan. I worked with these devices for years and they give the best results. I remember installing one of these devices in Tupelo back in 2007. Can't remember the name of the doctor's office.

This, bod pod only gives you an estimate of total body fat, dexa will show how your fat is distributed and at what percentage. Some people hold more fat viscerally (around their organs) than subcutaneously (under the skin) . It may be this is what is happening in your case...I get the same thing I look like I'm carrying less fat than my scales say..... Just keep on track with your diet....it's just numbers after all , like most of us it's how you look that counts
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options

I hate being skinny fat!!!! I don't really know what to do now. I started on a bulk diet last weekend eating 2,200 a day meeting my macros to a T.

Hmmm.....I am gonna go out on a limb here, and say.....BE PATIENT!!!!!
    Track your food, make sure you are (on average), gaining ~1lb of weight / week.....
    And give it time
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I don't really know much about this sort of thing, but you seem to have enough muscle - looking at your picture (nice arms by the way!). Why not try to lose 0.5lb a week for a month and see if your problem areas / fat percentage gets sorted? I hope I didn't just suggest something really stupid... if so, forgive me!
  • buffy0182
    buffy0182 Posts: 2 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I used to be where you were at but weighed more and also worked out 5-6 days a week (in January 2014 I was 5'7" 155 lbs and 26% BF, which is considered normal). I looked strong to people but my BF didn't tell that story. My diet was just ok. I ate a lot of carbs, drank too much alcohol, and just ate a lot of calories in general. I pretty much ate back all my calories after a work out. I wasn't fat or anything, but I wasn't where I wantedt o be either.

It's hard to tell the accuracy of your body fat percentage with just an upper body pic. I would say that you may need to decrease your carb intake to increase fat burn. It looks like you're eating enough protein, so good job with that!

After watching my macros closely, I'm now at 5'7" 148 lbs and 17.6% BF (fit/athletic) and steadily decreasing still. I'm trying to lose more fat weight, so I eat 1,330 calories on days I don't work out and around 1,400-1,600 on days I do, with the occasional 1800 calorie day (maybe once a week). I eat clean and try to eat around 100 grams of carbs per day (but no more than 150 g) and eat as much protein in grams as I weigh. I eat back maybe half of my calories for energy and still work out 5-6 days a week. I understand your struggle so don't be discouraged, don't settle for less, and keep working at it!