Free/Inexpensive ways to make exercising more enjoyable?

Options
During the last few months, my energy in enjoying exercise has gone from 'Yeah, I'm ready for this' to almost no drive for wanting to do it. I know is good to have a routine and a few routes of different exercising, but the options I have are just getting too 'meh', for a lack of a better word.

While I do enjoy walking and just putting music on, it just feels too repetitive even though I can take three different routes. I have Just Dance 3 and Wii Sports (to mix it up a little bit), but even those are getting boring to play. And I love games. D:

I don't really have a lot of money to sign up for a gym or any equipment to put in the house. (unemployed but looking). Any there any good, more entertaining exercises anyone might know of?

(Plus with me feeling so bleh about it now, that might one factor besides salt on why the scale isn't really moving either. Not gaining or losing, just maintaining... at a weight I don't want. For those wondering I am around 291.)

Replies

• Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Zombies! Run! App on the iPhone is fun. You have to put on bursts of speed to escape zombies.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Go and sign up to do some voluntary work. Walk there and see if the work can be active. Walking makes sense when its incidental and you are getting yourself from a to b for a reason. It will also improve your employment prospects.

You cna do plenty of exercise at home have a look at fitness blender
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Youtube videos of walk at home. She will get your *kitten* moving
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    What makes working out fun for me is studying it... finding different workouts to change up the routines.. Reading the magazines getting inspired by those that have already achieved what I want. Remember exercising doesn’t need to be about fun or motivation it is just something you have to do…

Suck it up and keep moving.
  • ThanksgivingGrrl
    ThanksgivingGrrl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do zumba on youtube. I love it. I do it right in my living room. I put all my fave zumba videos as favorites and I can stream it to my tv through my roku. It works and it's fun. You should try it. If you can't stream to your tv, just put it on your computer or laptop and do it in your living room. :) Have fun.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Go to the park, especially if you live in a place where the leaves are still changing
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    • workout buddy
    • workout playlist
    • fitness apps (Seven - hiit workout app, it's really cool. Map my Run. etc.)
    • workout outside (i get bored to death inside a gym)
    • Dance!!!!
  • klund13
    klund13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Try Blogilates (Pilates) on YouTube. Cassey makes it fun, while kicking your butt!
  • Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I joined a running group, best to socialize right after running. I also think doing cheap excersise classes are fantastic thing also. You can always cook your meal before and look foward to eating it after the workout for motivation.
  • habit365
    habit365 Posts: 174
    Options
    Fitnessblender.com They have everything from low impact cardio to weights to HIIT, etc. and free searchable workouts so you can choose one with the intensity/type/length that suits your mood for the day.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    It seems like you enjoy something with music, dance based. Perhaps Zumba class (or dvd set) or something like Leslie Sansone (on youtube) or turbojam (beginners) or turbo fire (advanced) would work. Yes, it is a large chunk of money at first, but then you get a bunch of different work outs that you can implement into the workouts you are already doing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Old workout DVDs are cheap on eBay and though the fads may have passed, the exercise is as good as any. :)
  • justalittlecrazy
    justalittlecrazy Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I really like Walk-it out for the wii. (Or others).. You walk to the beat of the music through an empty city/countryside.You have to earn coins to build the town and earn more songs, etc.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If you can't motivate yourself to work out, nothing will.

Go look in the mirror. The motivation comes from you. Find it.

Or not. Inertia is a b.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Try something different like 30 day shred or C25K phone app. Motivation is going to be an inside job.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    You need to ensure you are creating a calorie deficit to lose weight. Drink plenty of water if consumed too much salt.

I am a fitness blender.com fan. Apart from cycling I haven't found something I enjoy but I keep going as it's worth it. Good luck
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Ingress is a app/game available for free for Android and iPhone. It is fun way to get out and walk more.
    https://www.ingress.com/
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ok so what you do is you get yourself one of these bad boys

resistive-pedal-exerciser-stationary-bike-189381-MEDIUM.jpg

$30 or less, target, walmart, wherever

then you get yourself a tv series to watch, or a book to read, or a video game to play, and you keep your mind entertained while you pedal.

it's not gonna make you feel like you just rowed across a lake, but it's cheap and easy and takes up about as much space as a crockpot.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    If u have skates go skating, the best and most fun workout on my list. If u don't have any see if u can borrow some, same for bike riding. The outdoors is beautiful and will help u feel less - bleh!