How to find time to work out?

Options
Hi! I'm not new to myfitnesspal, but this is the first time in months that I've used it. Anyway, I have an issue that I've just recently begun to recognize.

I am a high school student in all AP/honors classes, the concert band, jazz band, pit orchestra, show choir band, and four clubs. Basically, I have a lot of responsibilities that are very time-consuming. In addition, I have ADD which I think makes me take longer to do my homework than other people (regardless, I get a LOT of it). I am completely swamped, but I love all of the things I do enough that I couldn't imagine dropping/substituting any of them. The problem is that I almost never have time to exercise. When I do have time, I feel too tired because I don't get enough sleep. I don't particularly enjoy exercise anyway... lol. I'm beginning to gain back the weight that I lost over the summer and it's stressing me out. When I do exercise, I usually run a mile and a half on my treadmill and/or do some exercises with 15 pound weights. It's not much, but it's something.

Any suggestions as to how I can fit in the time/find the energy to exercise, or even a new workout routine (if you can even call mine a routine lol)? Anyone else have this problem with being too busy?

Please don't tell me to quit my activities- that's just not an option for me :)

Thank you for your replies!!

Replies

• Nery_Tay
    Nery_Tay Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Either you wake up earlier than expected, or workout before doing homework. I would also suggest just go walking around after you finish doing homework. If you actually have the effort to go lose weight, a busy life isn't an excuse.
  • FitMomOK
    FitMomOK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can do 10-20 minutes of body weight exercises at home in the mornings, like squats, pushups, planks, etc. Jillian Michaels does of a lot of these types. Not sure how much weight you want to lose. Anyway, just doing those things at home works for me because you don't need to go to a gym. Shape magazine also has lots of exercises like this; check your library for back issues.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    "Time is a created thing. To say "I don't have time" is like saying, "I don't want to"." Lao Tzu
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    If you truly want to do something, you'll find/make time for it.

That said, you don't have to exercise to lose weight. Just make good food choices.
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Exercise smarter, not longer. See: HIIT workouts, 30 day shred.

This week I downloaded the Seven app. The app reminds you to exercise, asks if you have seven minutes available and then "trains" you through the exercises.

Something is better than nothing. And the people saying "you'd find time if you feel like it"... that's just not real advice AP's take a LOT of hard work. I'm sure if she has so much on her plate it's because she has college on her mind which is a good PRIORITY right now.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You make time. I work out maybe 5hrs a week when you include rest periods and warm ups/stretching. It's important to me so I make time for it.

IN regards to cardio though, which I pretty much never do, I really hate HIIT. So for me I have to do low or medium intensity. But because I don't really care for cardio, I don't do it. This saves me plenty of time in the week.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you have a lot on your plate. those clubs and activities sound like your priorities right now, which is fine. priorities shift throughout the year and through life.

a mile or two run on the 'mill and some weights a couple of times a week and a healthy diet are more than a lot of people accomplish.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You schedule it or you take advantage of free time when you get it, whichever works for you. Either way, you have to prioritize working out so it happens regularly. If you have time to watch TV or surf the web at home or off work, then you have enough time to get some work outs in.

And don't use the excuse that you don't have at least an hour or more block of time available. You can do quite a few body weight or dumbell type exercises at home in 10-15 minute blocks. It may not be high intensity circuit training, but two or three 10 minute blocks over the course of a day still adds up and it's a lot better than not doing any at all.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're in high school, you're probably too young to be here. Try spark teens.