Calories???

Options

NEVER counted calories before. Now I'm obsessed with measuring, logging, weighing etc. etc.
I cook everything from scratch so I had no idea what the caloric values were. I'm just beginning to get the drift of WHAT I am consuming with the help of MFP. I still don't really know how to use the site, but it sure beats the endless scraps of paper and books in every pocket and purse.
I had a metabolic resting rate taken recently and hope to get a test for insulin resistance on Monday. Then I can move into a lifestyle eating change and stop the steady up up up of the scale.I want to stop being so fixated on food and more on activity.

Replies

• lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. Welcome!
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Being food focused is no bad thing. Weight loss is 80% diet they say these days and all year i've been living this rule and finding it much more satisfactory than say 50/50 or more. In the past i did more 50/50 and eventually i would run out of steam for the exercise due to one thing or another and then i would find myself back at the beginning for a few more years.

Do calorie counting for a while. Work on improving the quality of your food. Adding more vegies and other nutritious foods. Try to find a balance that you can sustain for the rest of your life.

When you get sick of counting calories don't be afraid to go back keeping a food diary without all the calorie counting. Its less time consuming and you still have a pretty objective way of watching what you eat and it helps you keep focussed . By the time you reach your goal, you should be able to keep a food diary and be able to serve a meal without having to measure everything.

The other thing you have to keep on doing to make it all work is weighing yourself regularly. I do it daily. Many people are satisfied with a weekly weigh in.

• Penelope416
    Penelope416 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Make sure you measure yourself and weight yourself. Just keep in mind that sometimes due to your sodium levels or strength training (especially for brand new workouts or using muscles you haven't used in a while) your body can sometimes retain water so the scale can play tricks on you. That's why it's good to have a measuring tape laying around somewhere. You can be retaining water but still losing fat.
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to add me. ankdworak
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    For me the key to not getting too nuts about calorie counting is to remember that it is NOT an exact science! There is no way to know exactly how many calories you ate or how many calories you burned. So do your best to get close to your calorie goal every day, and don't sweat the small overs and unders.