Options
2»

Replies

• Talakhalid
    Options
    Congratulations . Great job
  • Jarrod4275
    Options
    Thanks for the positive feedback brothers and sisters! I might add that I mentioned what you can do to lose a couple pounds a week. Including exercising 1-2 times a week. I lost 110 in 9 months but I was working out on average 5 times a week doing my own version of Cross fit. Running (speed run) one day with push ups and sit ups. Exercise bike one day with weights, arms and legs. Swimming 1/2, 3/4 or 1 mile on one day. Running one day (slow for long distance). Etc.
  • optionalsourcewins
    optionalsourcewins Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - way to go!!! :)
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You're my inspiration. I would love to try the paleo diet. I've lost 55 lbs in 3 months. Maybe this can help me lose the last 100 lbs.
  • rprussell2004
    rprussell2004 Posts: 870 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    That's a lot of weight lost, and major health improvements.
    Jarrod wrote:
    I started in February
    110 lb / 9 months = 12.2 lb/month
    110 lb / 40 weeks = 2.75 lb/week

Possibly healthy when someone is morbidly obese, but when getting close to a healthy weight the loss will slow, so you probably had unhealthfully high rates of weight loss at least in the beginning.

I think you mistyped "Congratulations!"

(PS Congratulations! Sounds like you've made some major life changes for the better. One day at a time, man!)
  • Slinky92
    Slinky92 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this inspirational post and congratulations! You are remarkable!
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Jarrod wrote:
    I started in February

Possibly healthy when someone is morbidly obese, but when getting close to a healthy weight the loss will slow, so you probably had unhealthfully high rates of weight loss at least in the beginning.

I think you mistyped "Congratulations!"

(PS Congratulations! Sounds like you've made some major life changes for the better. One day at a time, man!)

This is seriously THE SINGLE BEST thing I have read all year. high five.

OP .. great job!!!! What you did/are doing takes dedication and hard work. AWESOME.
  • wildeyezz
    wildeyezz Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    You inspire me.
    Thank you.
  • Ringo1812
    Ringo1812 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You are amazing! I really would like to know how you quit the smoking. Have tried everything out there. To do that and loose the weight. Actually your comments above about the exercising you do and did and work too. Wow I can now see that all of that took over the time we sit and smoke. That makes so much sense. I am going to use that in both my weight loss and the smoking. I love to hear about people that made it!!!
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me smile. Congrats, people like you are very inspiring and have an all mighty encouraging aura. The Strongest people are built out of the deepest downing circumstances. Keep going down the great path, love whats good. Way 2 go
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success. You've clearly put in a lot of hard work!!
  • Gregbarnes300
    Gregbarnes300 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Bravo Jarrod! I love that you took control of your smoking, drinking and weight loss head on. You are right...anyone who wants this can have this. Smart food choices, exercise and a fire in your gut will bring success. Thank you for sharing your story.
    60817891.png
  • Jennifer10723
    Jennifer10723 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Ringo1812 wrote: »
    You are amazing! I really would like to know how you quit the smoking. Have tried everything out there. quote]

Back in the day (which was almost 16 years ago) .. lol .. I couldn't go cold turkey. I just started cutting down the amount each day. When I got down to 1 a day .. that took me forever to give up! lol I don't know why. But then finally I just said, enough I do not need that 1 a darn day. It took me about 6 months.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Jarrod wrote:
    I started in February

51637601.png

Just reinforces that the typical estimates for "healthy" and "safe" weight loss are on the cautious side, and most people could probably be more aggressive with their weight loss if it was sustainable for them to do so.
  • Jarrod4275
    Options
    Ringo1812 wrote: »
    You are amazing! I really would like to know how you quit the smoking. Have tried everything out there. To do that and loose the weight. Actually your comments above about the exercising you do and did and work too. Wow I can now see that all of that took over the time we sit and smoke. That makes so much sense. I am going to use that in both my weight loss and the smoking. I love to hear about people that made it!!!

I am not going to lie to you. Quitting smoking was REALLY hard. Today marks 275 days smoke free. I just did it cold turkey. I have no secret other than to say this. I was wheezing, coughing crap up and certain I had already done irrevearsable damage to my lungs. I decided I was going to die from lung cancer at like 50 if I didn't stop. I figured I had already done enough damage that I very well may die from lung cancer but all I can control now at this point is to do my best for my lungs. So I run. And I run. And I run. And I run. Just ran 5-1/2 miles last night which is not my longest run but a distance I can now reach consistently. I kept thinking about targets to strive to get to with quitting smoking. It all starts with the first 24 hours. They say if you do something 3 times or for 3 straight days you develop a habit for that thing be it good or bad. I read that the toughest part about quitting is the first 7 days. If you can make it 7 days "they" say you got it beat. So I set mini goals. Let's get through 24 hours. Accomplished. Let's start a habit of NOT smoking by making it through 3 days. Accomplished. hen focused on getting through day 7 with the thought that I would reach another goal. Accomplished. To get through that first week I locked myself in a room and watched movies on my ipad. I went to work. Struggled through the day, went home and sat in the dark watching movies or HBO/Netflix series I'd never seen. I shut off my cell phone to not be "encouraged" by friends to come out and drink. I made it about ME to get through it.

Each day gets easier and easier but on occasion you hit a wall and have an extreme desire to smoke. It feels like an eternity but if you can stave off those cravings for 15 minutes they really do go away. It is similar with running. When I feel like I have run about as far as my body can go, it's the next few minutes that if I fight through it becomes easier. It is always darkest before the dawn. When you are at your lowest and about to give up that is the moment that you are also about to grow as an individual and come one giant step closer to your goal if you will only fight through it and sustain whatever it is that you are trying to accomplish. Heck, even 275 days smoke free, while I don't crave smoking for weeks at a time I will inexplicably at a random moment find myself craving a cigg. But it leaves me in less than 60 seconds now.

To put it simply? NEVER GIVE UP! NEVER STOP! WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE REACHED YOUR LIMIT PUSH ON AND DISCOVER A TRULY NATURAL HIGH THAT BEATS ANY OTHER HIGH YOU CAN CREATE WITH BOOZE OR WHATEVER. SET GOALS! TONS OF GOALS! IN THE LAST 9 MONTHS I ACCOMPLISHED ABOUT 200 GOALS. I call them mini goals. Feed off the success achieved upon accomplishing each mini goal because you are just that much closer to realizing your ultimate goal than your were yesterday. Find a motto and recite it. One that I used was, "I may not be there today but I am closer today than I was yesterday."
  • mom2bella
    mom2bella Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Amazing!!!!!! Good job! :D
  • latinqueencee
    latinqueencee Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!!!! Congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!