Mindless eating..how to stop it?

Options

Replies

• TJR88
    TJR88 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same way, very mindful and healthy about eating at work and MUCH less so at home. What's working for me is what has been mentioned i.e. keeping a lot of those types of foods out of the house, distracting myself and planning ahead. I try to leave a lot of calories spare for my evening so I can have a big meal followed by a sweet treat. This usually leaves me feeling too full to pick at things later even if they are about.
  • breakonthrough65
    breakonthrough65 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    A good place to start is replacing the foods you mentioned with better alternatives. Snack mindlessly on those instead. The issue is not necessarily solved but at least you are now moving in the right direction.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Get in the habit of checking your food log before you decide what you are going to snack on. I used to be a mindless night-time snacker. Now I check my log to see how many calories left. If I am already at goal or a little over, I can have a cup of mint tea and one Dove promise (40 cals). Otherwise I pick my snack based on what I have left. So I still snack, but it's thoughtfully, not mindlessly. And most of the time, it works :p

Edited to add: I just reread your OP and maybe you are talking about eating an unhealthy dinner! For that, you really just need to plan ahead. Keep precooked options in the fridge that just need to be reheated so you don't have to "cook".
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    On the weekends cook up a storm and have the food ready to just be heated up as soon as you get in. You can store excess in the freezer for the future. Cook lots of yummy vegetables dishes, beans and lentil dishes. Cook enough rice to last a couple of days. Keeping your fridge well stocked with healthy foods and nothing in the house that you usually binge on.

Beyond that, to stop the binging behaviours, it takes a concerted effort with focus and determination. I've written a long post about how i've learnt to minimise my binging behaviours in the food and nutrition forum. Look for the word sweet tooth in the title.

The main advantage i've had over you is that i don't have to go off to work every day. But i certainly have worked full time and know the drill and when i did it i used to find that having food cooked was the best way to deal with the end of day fatigue that prevents you from cooking. Also go to bed early. You may not be getting enough sleep. Its better to go to bed early and get up earlier so that when you are fresh in the mornings, you have more time to and energy to prepare healthy foods.

Adequate sleep is essential to staying healthy and slim if you are a binger type.

These days even though i always have plenty of time to cook, i know i don't always want to do it, so i stay prepared. I always have lots of vegetables in the fridge and a variety of other foods that make it easy to cook a healthy recipe on a whim. If you get stuck for ideas, get hold of some vegetable recipe books from your library or buy one to get started.

I also find lentil and chick pea soups very sustaining.
  • Penelope416
    Penelope416 Posts: 14 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Don't buy that type of food. If it's in your house, you'll eat it.

You sound like you like lots of sugar. I'm like that too! Instead of eating refined, process sugar, buy fruit so your body can get fructose instead as this is a necessary natural sugar. I use Stevia and honey to put in my coffee or cereal.

It's a mental process too. You have to remind yourself why you're on this journey. Remind yourself where you don't want to be and where you do want to be. I know you want to be healthy and strong. Those are starters! :smile:
  • sungoddess337
    sungoddess337 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You said you have no control over what others bring in the house. First, try talking to everyone and explain what this journey means to you. They may not realize what is happening. If not, you can set aside a space for only you and stock it with better choices. For myself, I prepare servings size things like carrot sticks and other vegetables and fruits , put these in veggies ready to eat. This works well for just about any snack. Leave off the dressings and dips and really taste the food you eat. Plan, prepare, and think
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Resist for 15 minutes and you will forget you were even tempted.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Try having some healthy snacks ready for you when you get home - cut up some fruit, veggies in the fridge. Have some fruits handy such as apple, bananas, etc. on the kitchen counter in plain site. Hide or dispose of all sugary snacks. And if you still feel like having some sugar snack or chips, drink a glass of water first.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    In your home, create some traditions around meals --

You eat at the table.
    You set a place.
    You have fresh flowers there.
    There is a candle that you light before being seated.
    You play soft music, but neither TV or other devices are involved.
    You serve your meal. You focus on the foods' tastes and textures and smells.
    You take at least 20 minutes to finish.
    You clear your place, extinguish the candle, and go about the next part of your day.

This is for food in the home. It's a tradition, a little lighter than a rule but generally something you observe.
    ^ This.
    Study and practice mindfulness.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, coffee helps suppress my appetite. Another suggestion is to change your routine around. Maybe start working out after work. At the gym, or jogging/running outside. Or try a cool new fitness class that you can go to after work, bring your gym bag with you. :) That way, you limit the amount of time you're actually at home with food available.

Another option is to find a hobby/routine that you can't eat during (like doing your nails, giving yourself a facial, etc). Not only will you take up more time you're not able to eat during, but you will feel pretty and not want to ruin your investment by going over your calories!!! It's win win!
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    If you can't 100% control what food is in the house, I find that putting it somewhere I can't see it helps the most. Also, making decaf coffee (if it's at night) or tea really helps, as I find just drinking plain water can get pretty bland. Something with more flavor makes me feel more satisfied. Now, if you are *actually* hungry, you should eat. But if you're close to your calorie limit for the day, snack on vegetables and fruits (but watch the calories with the fruits) or some low-calorie snack food like popchips (but make sure, if you buy the large bag, to individually portion them out beforehand).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Being mindful in all things, including your consumption is a skill. Skills must be practiced in order to be improved upon. Practice being mindful in all things.
  • yelliezx
    yelliezx Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I used to do that! In fact, I still get like that at times but most of the time I manage to control it because I plan a chocolate bar into my day so I don't feel like I'm missing out. I actually feel stuffed after I eat that chocolate bar! :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    There's probably multiple things you need to address but for starters I'd try to identify what factors are involved in the choices you make about food.

For example hunger can be one reason that we eat. We can also eat for taste related reasons that are separate from actual hunger.

We can also crave foods simply because we see or smell the food and that forces us to decide whether or not to eat the food when we may not have thought about it to begin with were we to not have seen it.

Take for example, if you were to go home and see a tray of donuts on the kitchen counter. You will be forced to choose to either eat, or not eat one or more donuts. If your willpower is already depleted from all of the choices you've already made at work, you might then choose to eat a donut.

Had you not seen the donuts to begin with you most likely wouldn't have gone home and thought "damn I want to eat a donut right now".

So one thing you can do would be to restructure your living space so that your food environment is more diet-friendly. Move the energy dense, nutrient sparse foods to less prevalent locations so that you're not encountering them as frequently.

You may also benefit from food prep in bulk since this would make eating relatively healthier options more convenient.

There's several other things but this would be one starting point/idea to implement.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have rationed/portioned snacks throughout my kitchen. grabbing a pre-weighed 1 oz bag of my favorite chips prevents me from eating the entire bag in one sitting. I also plan for snacks, and hide extra calories in my grab-n-go meals for "upgrades." also, make sure you're getting enough food throughout the day. I used to not eat enough, and found myself elbow-deep in the pantry a lot. find what works for you, and stick with it. :smile: best of luck!
  • EmotionalEater84
    EmotionalEater84 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Preparation.

You are more than likely a lot like myself.. In the morning my will power and good intentions are clear and intact. I grab good choices for breakfast and lunch and I'm out the door for the day. Evening hits and I tend to slack. Don't want to cook after a long day and all the rest of the excuses that follow that ;)

My suggestion is to make your evening meal when you make the others instead of having to prepare it when you get home. Make something you can just reheat and serve. Or, if you fancy a hot meal to come home to, there are tons of crock pot ideas all over this website and many more!

My will power normally fails me in the evening, so to curb that I just make sure I plan my whole day instead of reacting on a whim.

Best of luck! xx
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    funchords wrote: »
    In your home, create some traditions around meals --

You eat at the table.
    You set a place.
    You have fresh flowers there.
    There is a candle that you light before being seated.
    You play soft music, but neither TV or other devices are involved.
    You serve your meal. You focus on the foods' tastes and textures and smells.
    You take at least 20 minutes to finish.
    You clear your place, extinguish the candle, and go about the next part of your day.

This is for food in the home. It's a tradition, a little lighter than a rule but generally something you observe.

This relaxed me just imagining it! Great "tradition"!
  • edailey88
    Options
    I love to snack... I keep the special k cereal bar red berries in my car and in my purse. they're only 90 calories, I LOVE those bars! They are amazing! Try low calorie snacks, keep them everywhere, and really think about it before you eat it. I use mine as a daily treat, and I think to myself.. If I eat this scrumptious thing now.... what happens when i want one later??! Then I end up waiting. I know you live with other people, but you have to think of you!! You are the only one who runs your body, you have to think of your goals! <3 good luck!!
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    70 pounds ago I was the mindless eater that would go to bed with a bag of chips, chocolate bars cookies and a huge soda. Mind you I still have 120 pounds to go...

You really need to be one with yourself LOVE YOURSELF before taking the weight loss journey. I was never happy with my self and did not think I deserved to be happy.
    After re evaluating myself finding meditation and yoga into my daily routine its like the mindless eating just went away.... Keeping busy is a big thing, You dont think about food when you dont eat. Make meals fun! Make something healthy and try something new each day! You can have your cake and eat it to. JUST IN MODERATION and of course within your calories. You make the change to be healthier when you make that switch in your mind.

Loving yourself

Is that good for me?
    What effect will that have on me?

Is that cookie worth feeling miserable after
    Is that cookie worth that inch on your waist line.

You can do it!
    Beleive in yourself and the rest will follow
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    ok fixxxxxx...

You dont think about food when you dont eat .....Stupido

You dont think about food when your keeping busy

DUHHHH