Eating What I Want on Thanksgiving

Options
I don't know about everyone, but there is NOTHING important enough about my losing weight to keep me from eating what I want on Thanksgiving. I have been fantasizing about pie for the last two months, and dang it, one day is NOT going to ruin ANYTHING.

That said, hopefully I make it through the day without a tummy ache - the fiance's family and my family are both hosting dinners, so we'll be eating TWICE. Itty-bitty portions, anyone?

Replies

• bonnykate
    Options
    I don't know about everyone, but there is NOTHING important enough about my losing weight to keep me from eating what I want on Thanksgiving. I have been fantasizing about pie for the last two months, and dang it, one day is NOT going to ruin ANYTHING.

That said, hopefully I make it through the day without a tummy ache - the fiance's family and my family are both hosting dinners, so we'll be eating TWICE. Itty-bitty portions, anyone?
  • fit4fun
    Options
    There is a similar post going on right now about this! I CAN'T WAIT TO PIG OUT! It's one day!!!! I'll be thinking about all our MFPers, hoping everyone isn't guilting themselves out of a great Thanksgiving.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I'm not counting calories for Thanksgiving either. I know I'll eat much smaller portions of all those 'evil' foods, but I will still gobble till I wobble! haha
  • amycakes812
    Options
    I am right there with y'all. I figure there are a few days out of the year that are worth it to eat whatever I want and not feel bad about it! What's really sad though, is I am hosting Thanksgiving, and am in complete control of what the entire meal is. Am I going to make it healthy? Absofrigginlutely not!! :laugh: I am planning on savroing every bite of the meal. I already told my MIL that NO ONE is taking the turkey home! I plan on sending away all the desserts and sides, plus whatever is leftover from the ham she is insisting on bringing. The turkey is mine though dammit! LOL
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Life is too short! Enjoy your holiday! One day won't change all you've done. Just work out hard the day before and after and you'll be fine! Enjoy everyone!
  • MollySue30
    MollySue30 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am not going to be counting all of my calories for Turkey day. I know that I am going to be bring a shrimp ring and a vegtable tray so that will help me not eat as much. I am finding with each day that I don't get as hungry as I use to do.

I am to the point now that I am forcing myself to eat. I am really hungry at breakfast and by the time lunch gets there I am not hungry much. I am not really sure why this is happening. I do have my snacks during the morning and afternoon. I guess my body is trying to tell me something.

I am just not sure what it is telling me though.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    One big day for me often leads to months off the wagon. But if you can do it, go for it and enjoy every bite of it! :flowerforyou:
  • DeannaK
    DeannaK Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    pigging out these days looks much different than it used to. so yes, i will be among those who are not counting calories this Thanksgiving :bigsmile:

happy thanksgiving everyone!
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    You know-- for me, this journey is not unlike the journey of being a Christian-- as a Christian, I can do whatever I want-- it's just that over time, God changes my "wanter." That's how it is here, too-- I can eat what I want on Thanksgiving-- but, my wanter has changed.

I'm going to enjoy my pecan pie, don't get me wrong. But, personally, I don't want to have that, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" alka seltzer feeling I get every year. I'm going to indulge, but not overindulge.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I got this idea from a magazine article- and I swear it works for famil dinners and holidays and potlucks etc...

I make 1 regular (not heaping or huge) plate full of the things I want, 1-2 normal sized bites of each thing. Then I sit down and talk and eat slowly, eating each mini serving in very small bites. This helps me to savor the things I want. Plus, I really think there is only so much damage I can do on one plate.

On thanksgiving I might also have a dessert plate with a few bites of dessert.
  • Zborni4
    Zborni4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have to have two turkey days, one on Thursday and one on Saturday...yikes going to be tough but everyone will get through.
  • Lyn_Matthews
    Lyn_Matthews Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I too am eating what I want, in moderation. I'm not going to count calories for that day, or the rest of the weekend for that matter. It's not going to kill me, I'll just get right back on track on Monday.
  • ChubbyBunny
    ChubbyBunny Posts: 3,523 Member
    Options
    pigging out these days looks much different than it used to. so yes, i will be among those who are not counting calories this Thanksgiving :bigsmile:

Totally agree, I am not able to eat half as much as I used to.
    So, Thanksgiving will be different.
    Lets all be here the day after though to motivate us on the journey again.
    :flowerforyou:
  • blondie_girl14
    blondie_girl14 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am totally for eating what I want to eat on Thanksgiving. Its one of the holidays dedicated to food. I am not gonna load up on the butter, but I am gonna enjoy my stuffing! and turkey and cranberry sauce and sweet potatoes etc etc etc.:wink:

Happy Thanksgiving!!:drinker:
  • lmichele22
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My MFP friends, I love Thanksgivng, I know I'm not a sweets gal, but I love wine, there's many different selections of wine.. :drinker: :love: , Being apart of a pretty large Italian family, I will be having many glasses of red ! I already have 2 that I order from early this year can't wait to open.. I love some hot oven turkey and a little stuffing, mmmmmmmmmmmmmm ...
    For these past 2 weeks I've been hitting the gym hard and havn't done a weight in, Thanksgiving Morning will be my weight in, Then hit the gym friday ( maybe) lol :tongue:

Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL

96972.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal

~ Michelle ~
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    You know-- for me, this journey is not unlike the journey of being a Christian-- as a Christian, I can do whatever I want-- it's just that over time, God changes my "wanter." That's how it is here, too-- I can eat what I want on Thanksgiving-- but, my wanter has changed.

I'm going to enjoy my pecan pie, don't get me wrong. But, personally, I don't want to have that, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing" alka seltzer feeling I get every year. I'm going to indulge, but not overindulge.

right there with ya M'Friend regarding things have changed....food doesn't thrill me like in the past:drinker: ...guess I'm learning other things I much more prefer.. I've worked very very hard this past year to get healthier and more fit...I don't want any food that I can have (if I really chose too) anytime of the year to click me in the backwards direction, please understand I"m speaking for myself here only.

But Holidays....they're very different for me....than it sounds like for most of you.... Food isn't what I think about when I think of the Holidays.... this time of year makes me very sad...:cry: So food is not even something on my mind.....I"m tryin to hang on by a thread right now in life in general....:drinker:

SO I hope that those of you that celebrate Holidays this time of year....enjoy your family time please never ever take it for granted...cause one day someone you care about may not be there.....:brokenheart:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Totally agree, I am not able to eat half as much as I used to.
    So, Thanksgiving will be different.
    Lets all be here the day after though to motivate us on the journey again.
    :flowerforyou:

Great words of Wisdom Bunny:drinker:
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    SO I hope that those of you that celebrate Holidays this time of year....enjoy your family time please never ever take it for granted...cause one day someone you care about may not be there.....:brokenheart:

Bless your buttons, you dear lady-- God bless you.:heart::flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

Bless your buttons, you dear lady-- God bless you.:heart::flowerforyou:

Ahhh my Marla:cry::smooched: ...Ever on my heart!:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Heck yea! I'm having TWO Thanksgivings--one this past weekend, and one on Thursday--and I ate what I wanted on Saturday and I'm doing it again on Thursday! I actually ate fun food for two days this weekend, and gained a grand total of one lb (most of which was waste). My workout today was amaaaazing. My workout after Thursday will also be amazing. It's not like I'm going to magically lose 10 lbs of fat by NOT eating what I want on Thanksgiving, so it's really not worth it to me to deprive myself at all! :bigsmile: