Do certain foods make you feel sad?

Options
So I've been on this journey for several months, and I've finally hit the 40 pounds lost mark. I've been doing good since I started as far as staying within my calories and macros. I work in daily treats and foods I like, so it's not like I never eat sweets or things like pizza. But I usually use portion control and fit them in my diet.

Anyway, yesterday was my birthday, and last night was the first night in months that I have really just let loose and not watched calories. We went to Valentino's buffet. I had some pizza, salad, and a small dish of apple crisp with ice cream, so I didn't think I did too bad. I had four slices of pizza, but they were the small slices that come with the small pizzas. Two of them probably equate to one normal slice.

Now today, for the first time in a long time, I just feel completely drained. Like I don't even want to get off the couch. And my mood is very low. I've been on the verge of tears all morning for no reason. It's not from guilt. I just genuinely feel sad and down. Anyone else have this experience after a night of cutting loose a bit?

Replies

• mangogirl272727
    mangogirl272727 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Did you drink at all? Food never makes me sad, but I often get really depressed after drinking.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    No drinking...just ice water. Not much of a drinker, and I'm not really a fan of soda either. I'm wondering if it's just carb/sugar overload and my body crashing? It was pretty late last night when we went out to eat.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday

Drink lots of water and go out for a walk

You'll be ok
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Super bad carbs like sugar and breads makes me feel the same way jnv7594. Since you had water my guess would be the pizza crust. I feel OK as long as I eat no bread or other carbs. It helped when I gave up apples and grapes.

While I have not proven this by I think once I eat right (only accidental carbs in my case) and lose the fat that I stored that most likely is full of toxic stuff I may be able to handle foods that I can not today.

I found I would squeeze and get a running nose after eating the foods that were somehow toxic to me. It would be while I was still at the table.

You are on the right track. Just keep listening to your body.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    That was my thought, too, GaleHawkins. While the pieces of pizza were pretty small, they did have thick crust and were carb heavy...as was the apple crisp. I'm just going to take rabbit's advice up there and drink lots of water and get some exercise later. I'm sure I'll be fine. I just hate feeling like this. Lesson learned I guess. It's amazing how much what you eat effects your body.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Nope, foods don't make me sad.

I do feel SO MUCH better when I eat healthy food, though. Fwiw. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    No, food doesn't make me sad.
  • ljashley1952
    ljashley1952 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!

I don't think I would say they make me sad, but I think that I have a bit of a psychological battle when I eat things that I know I shouldn't. I am trying to limit carbs and fats, so when I know I've eaten too many I get a sense of being a little disappointed in myself and feel like it just wasn't worth it. Maybe remorse or regret. But that's only happened a time or two. Mostly over-eating will just make me feel sluggish and bloated.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I wonder if your sadness is not related to the food itself but the drudgery of going back to tracking, or of having your birthday past, or getting older. Sometimes it's hard to tell what makes us feel down.
  • MsChris808
    Options
    I totally believe my severe depression had something to do with my undiagnosed Celiac's Disease. I find when I accidently get "wheated" I get depressed for days afterwards.
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!! And I think you're right! I had a frozen meal today after a few months and I just feel emotionally hungry and sluggish and super moody for no reason :S I did include quiet a lot of steamed veggies with the meal, but it definitely impacts your mood!!
  • crisb2
    crisb2 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I decided to try low-carb when I realized I felt kinda yucky everytime I ate carbs and sugar.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    PMS? Getting sick? The only thing that makes me sad about food is that I can't eat as much as I'd like of it anymore.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday! TOM??
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    That was my thought, too, GaleHawkins. While the pieces of pizza were pretty small, they did have thick crust and were carb heavy...as was the apple crisp. I'm just going to take rabbit's advice up there and drink lots of water and get some exercise later. I'm sure I'll be fine. I just hate feeling like this. Lesson learned I guess. It's amazing how much what you eat effects your body.

Water is the first thing I now grab when I do not feel as well. 24 hours after eating wrong I am usually just fine again. My main objective being pain management for arthritis I really was not concerned about being overweight because I knew if I could get my pain level down into the 2-4 range I could then focus on the weight.

Yesterday I ran out of the coconut oil and this morning I could feel more arthritis pain and stiffness this morning even though I was still in a strong state of nutritional ketosis. Takefully the wife picked up some after she got off work this morning so I just I am now drinking 2-3 tablespoons in my coffee/dark cocoa along with some almonds, a boiled egg and cottage cheese (for the protein mainly) for breakfast.

By leaving off bread my pain level would drop a bit but shoot up if I ate it. The same thing with a milk shake from the sugar I guess.

Overnight I learned I need something that is in the coconut oil for pain manage since just being off the carbs, especially bread and sugar added sources along does not manage all of my arthritis pain as well. We are what we eat I guess even if I hate that statement. :smile:

At my age (63) I know my time is running out to eat right and get real gains from it. Thankful other than the arthritis and its massive damage to my skelton I seem to be healthy and do not need to take any meds (Rx type) for any health issue. I did for many years take NSAIDs until they gave me ulcers and other issues but I have been off them for the most part since a bad fall (due to balance issues from Indocin) in 2004.

You are young so all that you figure out about what your body needs and DOES NOT need and act on it today and going forward will make your senior years better I am sure.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    jnv7594 wrote: »
    Anyone else have this experience after a night of cutting loose a bit?
    After a season of clean eating, I notice my body goes into REJECT mode when I pig on fast food junk.
    It's not so much sadness than a sharp feeling of YUK!

• Woomytron
    Woomytron Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Food doesn't make me feel sad, but I have some issues with food making me sick. I have a sensitive stomach so when I decide to "go off plan" I feel it the next day. I get very sluggish and have an upset stomach most of the day. You might just feel off today, like other said drink some water and get up and moving. You will be ok. :) Having a cheat day is fine, it was your birthday you deserved to relax and enjoy yourself. Happy Birthday and congrats on your loss so far!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I sometimes don't feel great physically but I've never noticed feeling sad out of nowhere after eating certain foods.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I'm just giving you an opinion here.

I think there's a good chance that your sadness is completely unrelated to your pizza and apple crisp.

I also think there's nothing wrong with eating bread, or pizza, or apple crisp provided your entire diet is reasonable over weeks/months.
  • Canwehugnow
    Canwehugnow Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the extra carbs did you in.

Happy belated birthday!!!