Rice milk in grams...

Options
So... the nutrition claim on the back is in ml, im using my digital scale... the 1l packet shows to be 1040 g (it could just be overfilled). When I was using regular milk I read somewhere that every 100g you log in as 97 mls. But now I'm questioning that advise... Wouldn't just g = mls? Pls answer only if you know it for sure. Thanks

Replies

• db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Grams measure the mass of something, while milliliters measure the volume. The density of a material defermines how many grams something weighs when it takes up the same volume. Milk, for instance, is more dense than water, so the same volume will weigh more on the scale.

http://ansci.illinois.edu/static/ansc438/Milkcompsynth/milkcomp_density.html
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    db34fit69 wrote: »
    Grams measure the mass of something, while milliliters measure the volume. The density of a material defermines how many grams something weighs when it takes up the same volume. Milk, for instance, is more dense than water, so the same volume will weigh more on the scale.

^ True!

You could also just weigh a tablespoon (15ml) of the milk to see how many grams it comes to. That way you'll know how many grams 1 ml equals.

• Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    db34fit69 wrote: »

So would you recommend me to count 1040g as a litre? If the temp stays same.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    The only liquid that weighs the same as its volume is water, I believe. Buy a measuring cup for liquids.
  • Sandigesha
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    The only liquid that weighs the same as its volume is water, I believe. Buy a measuring cup for liquids.

Measuring cup - the most unaccurate way of measuring food that humans have ever came up with. I can eye ball it with similar results
  • Sandigesha
    Options
    Well fluids are not as bad, sorry, just oats came to mind for some reason...
  • Sandigesha
    Options
    But still 40g difference per liter is a lot less of a difference that a measuiring cup would give
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sandigesha wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

Measuring cup - the most unaccurate way of measuring food that humans have ever came up with. I can eye ball it with similar results

For LIQUIDS a measuring cup is just as accurate as a scale.
  • Sandigesha
    edited October 2014
    Options
    For LIQUIDS a measuring cup is just as accurate as a scale.[/quote]

Yep I just did my own accuracy experiment - you're right!