Got to my goal weight but not happy

Options
Hi!
I started dieting being 128 lbs with my goal being 121(55k),which is what i was before i gained weight. Since i was losing weight VERY slow i didn't weigh myself regularly,instead i measured myself. I knew what my measurements were before so i just kept going because i didn't hit my goal.
This morning i weighed myself and i weigh 119. I'm not sure what to do now.
I might weigh less than i did before but i do not look as skinny as i use to. I still have a little pouch and my waist is a few inches bigger than i was.
I don't think i should keep losing because i think 120 is pretty much the lowest i can go and look healthy.(I'm short but i have a more muscular\wider\heavy boned build)
On the other hand i really hate the layer of fat on my stomach.
My previous weight wasn't a long time ago and nothing major happened ageing\hormonal etc so i think this is just a matter of fat coming off 'the wrong places'.
Also,i'm doing strength training and have nice muscle definition so this is not a matter of 'toning' it's plain old fat.
Any advice?

Replies

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Can you provide more info on your diet and strength training plans?
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    When you start weight training scales are much harder to use in defining if you are overweight or not... your going to have to get a BMI i would suggest by a professional... at least at first.
  • rikki647
    Options
    Strength training- i'm doing StrongLifts 5×5 plus different training at the gym and at home with videos from Fitnessblender- about an hour of strength training every day. I also do cardio about 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes.
    Diet- For the most part i'm doing 1200 cal,but i had a few days\weeks in between where i went up to 1400 because i was feeling wiped out. My diet is very clean,most of my food is Protein-Chicken,Meat,Eggs,Dairy and lots of fruits and veggies. Kind of similar to Paleo.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    You might consider reading up on body recomposition...essentially, trying to replace the fat with muscle so you end up weighing the same (or even more!) but you have more muscle and less fat, and are therefore smaller and more "toned."
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    rikki647 wrote: »
    Strength training- i'm doing StrongLifts 5×5 plus different training at the gym and at home with videos from Fitnessblender- about an hour of strength training every day. I also do cardio about 3 times a week for 30-45 minutes.
    Diet- For the most part i'm doing 1200 cal,but i had a few days\weeks in between where i went up to 1400 because i was feeling wiped out. My diet is very clean,most of my food is Protein-Chicken,Meat,Eggs,Dairy and lots of fruits and veggies. Kind of similar to Paleo.

That's a pretty hefty exercise routine! If anything, you should be gaining weight (in muscle of course). How long have you been on this lifestyle change?

P.S. So far, I have no advice - just trying to gain more info so other members can help :)
  • rikki647
    Options
    You might consider reading up on body recomposition...essentially, trying to replace the fat with muscle so you end up weighing the same (or even more!) but you have more muscle and less fat, and are therefore smaller and more "toned."

That's a pretty hefty exercise routine! If anything, you should be gaining weight (in muscle of course). How long have you been on this lifestyle change?

P.S. So far, I have no advice - just trying to gain more info so other members can help :)

Body recomp was actually what i was aiming for.
    I thought i was gaining muscle up on till the moment i weighed myself. It definitely looks like i gained muscle,i have very clear muscle definition everywhere and i even gained a half of inch to an inch around my quads\shoulders\arms etc.
    I'm doing this for almost 4 months now.
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    Well you're leaning out that's for sure! you might as well up your calories to 1400 since you expend so much - I think the belly pouch will work itself out with you being consistent in diet and exercise....
  • rikki647
    Options
    Well you're leaning out that's for sure! you might as well up your calories to 1400 since you expend so much - I think the belly pouch will work itself out with you being consistent in diet and exercise....
    So i should continue with deficit? I really don't think i should lose more weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lift weights
  • 16shelz
    16shelz Posts: 11 Member
    Options

If you can "strength train" every day, you are doing it wrong and it's not challenging enough. Full body routines like strong lifts should only be done 3 days a week. Your body will use the days off to repair the muscles. If you are doing other strength training on your off days it can't repair the muscles and you're setting yourself up for injury.

If you are looking to gain muscle mass you have to eat more. 1200 calories a day is most definitely not enough. Find your TDEE and go from there.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Your expectations are unrealistic. You want to look like a supermodel. Its not going to happen. If you haven't got the goods to begin with, you'll never be the image of perfection you've set yourself up to be.

You can improve your shape with more work but hey its much better to accept yourself as you are and and spend the time on other more important things. It takes a great deal of time and sacrifice to get yourself looking at your absolute best.

The thing is you can't change your genetics.
  • rikki647
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    Your expectations are unrealistic. You want to look like a supermodel. Its not going to happen. If you haven't got the goods to begin with, you'll never be the image of perfection you've set yourself up to be.

You can improve your shape with more work but hey its much better to accept yourself as you are and and spend the time on other more important things. It takes a great deal of time and sacrifice to get yourself looking at your absolute best.

The thing is you can't change your genetics.

Seriously don't know what to make of this post. 'Your expectations are unrealistic' 'You want to look like a supermodel' 'you'll never be the image of perfection you've set yourself up to be' 'spend the time on other more important things' and 'Its not going to happen'.
    Did you even read my post? I made it very clear i'm trying to get back to the way i looked recently,before i gained a couple of extra pounds. Please explain why my expectations are unrealistic or why i don't have the genetics to get back to the way my body naturally looked?
    Do i have to apologize for wanting to look the best i can? For wanting to go back to feeling comfortable and confident with my body?
    I guess online communities aren't my thing after all.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

The reason you don't like how you look is because you'd probably lost muscle for a variety of reasons.

1) You're not eating enough.

Also you do not need to "eat clean" to lose weight. Nor do you need to eat healthy. Calories in vs cals out.

2) You also should not be doing multiple lifting programs. Either stick to SL5x5 OR stick to the videos you do at home.

3) And if you are lifting every day you are doing it wrong. SL5x5 should be done 3x a week I believe. So that's all you do.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

OP has not gained weight in muscle unless she is grossly underestimating her food intake by like... 1000+ calories.