I need help

Options
Is there someone like me? I seem to undereat rather than overeat. Can't remember the "old days/how I got chubby". Becoming a serious problem now as I can't get my head around maintenance. Also people don't seem to worry. Their constant diet attitude makes it very hard for me to eat enough....

Replies

• CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I totally get that. I still haven't made my mind up about maintenance. I have hit all of my goals but still feel uncomfortable within myself and am unsure. They say weight loss is easy, but maintenance is the real challenge. I think we are programmed from the start of our weight loss journey to focus on losing the weight and not what happens after.

It's great that you have picked up the problem, but I can't tell you if you can and cannot stop with your calorie restricting. You need to look within yourself and/or seek professional advice.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I found that even though I plan to log the rest of my life, it is very important that eat the right foods and the right amount of foods to accomplish my goals - energy level, clear skin, more lean muscle. it really helps - one of the books I read was "Ballet Beautiful"... it really explains the link between food, eating enough, and keeping your activity level up.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy exercising then I'd recommend making a fitness goal that will get you considering food more as fuel and a necessity to achieve your targets and hopefully eating more.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I've not had 'trouble' shifting to eating more - I mainly seem to snack more. 100 here, 150 there: it adds up.

I agree with having a fitness goal. I just finished the 1st week of a 16 week 'program' to train for a 1/2 marathon. My runs are short for now (3-5 miles at a time for the next few weeks) but I'm already researching how to eat/prepare for the longer runs.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't struggle with adding more calories, but I also can't remember how I used to eat either (so I don't know what to avoid), and, yes, increasing calories takes a mental shift which I can understand people struggle with. It does feel weird and uncomfortable, like a pair of shoes which don't fit.

I'm just taking each day as it comes, trying to find the right level of calories for my weight to stay stable over a month (right now, that's 1700 and eating back exercise calories, but it may change). I find adding snacks has worked well for me, but I pre-log them as a part of my pre-logged day (which I do the day before). My diary is open if you want to look.

I also find focusing just as hard on getting enough protein, fat, fiber and not too much saturated fat, has helped me switch mentally from eating down to a calorie level, to eating up to protein/fat/fiber/saturated fat levels. That's help me think more of fueling my body rather than shrinking my body.

I also have fitness goals which I added, including working out 3 times a week (lifting weights which I track closely every workout - you can see those in my diary), walking every day (progressively to running when I'm cleared post-knee surgery) and using the indoor rower on days when I don't make the gym (and also later in winter when the weather sucks).

Friend me if you want.