Low calorie, high fat.

Options
Is a high fat diet bad, even if you stay within calorie limits?

By bad I don't mean particularly healthy as I know it's not. I mean would I not loose weight if my diet is high in fat?

Replies

• BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Total calories (maintaining a calorie deficit) is far more important than macro ratios. You can have fat and lose weight. Fat is satiating, it helps you feel full longer. As a bonus it's delicious.
  • pklme
    pklme Posts: 9
    Options
    Fats can be healthy- avocado, oily fish, olive oil. I eat high fat and feel really indulgent, eating things I haven't allowed myself for years. I'm losing 1kg a week, more or less.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Overall calories is what counts. Fat doesn't make you fat, too many calories does.
    I don't know what exactly "high fat" means to you, but a keto/low carb diet can be as high as 75-80% of calories from fat.
  • loiscoles
    loiscoles Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Well it's a lot of carbs and fat. Like I'll have pasta and cheese a lot. Basically I think I eat too much cheesy things and when I look at the nutrition pie chart my protein one is smaller than it should be. Carbs is about right and fat is usually high.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Total calories (maintaining a calorie deficit) is far more important than macro ratios. You can have fat and lose weight. Fat is satiating, it helps you feel full longer. As a bonus it's delicious.

x2
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Are you feeling hungry? There are nutritional reasons to keep protein up and to consider the sources of your carbs and fat, but for losing weight calories are what matter. Often when people have trouble staying full on their calories a solution is to adjust macros and the foods eaten somewhat, but if you are good with that it won't affect your weight loss.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    will work fine for you the Runner's Diet is 50%carb, 25%fat, and 25%protein

29509743.png
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you concentrate on any macro, i would recommend protein as it can help maintain your muscle mass and metabolic functions. But everyone is right, calories determine weight loss. Macros control other things such as: satiety, muscle retention, nutrient absorption, energy, etc..