Tips? Itchy legs when walking/running...

Options
megz4987
megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
I dont really know why it happens (fat,cold air on warm skin, fabric) but the front of my thighs get so itchy. does anyone have an suggestions to help it?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That happens to me when I'm running as well but it usually happens when I haven't run in a while. It goes away the more I run.
  • knightwriter2
    Options
    This happened to me in the beginning or when I haven't walked in a while. I would say if that is the case with you, that it should go away within a week or two. Good luck.
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Easy enough! thanks, yall!
  • neverdull
    Options
    There was a question about this in Shape magazine this month. If I can find my copy, I will post what it said. It seemed to me that it was pretty normal and nothing to worry about.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    when it happens to me, I smack my hand hard onto the itchy spot. This causes the itch to subside. It does go away with more running though
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I get this too... I just always assumed that it was an increase of blood flow like when your hands get really cold and then you get them warmed up and they itch really really bad. I don't pay it any attention.
  • Mehs
    Mehs Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I google this topic and found something called excercise urticaria, itching/hives induced by physical stimulation. I also found this post somewhere else which kind of makes more sense to me because I itch where I have alot of fat- thighs, love handles. This is not my statement but something I found here

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/index.jsp?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat:Runner+CommunitiesForum:618106477Discussion:1531031351

My theory on the reason for it as follows (I'm an MD): Running warms ups the muscles of the legs and this means blood flows to the skin to cool the legs. The sudden increase in blood flow to the skin leads to a change in skin temperature which in some individuals stimulates itch receptors there. There are no itch receptors in muscles, so the sensation is actually in the skin. Women get it more than men because they have more subcutaneous fat on the thighs and butt (sorry, but its biologically accurate) so their legs are usually better insulated and cooler, and the temperature change is greater. On cold days the temperature change is also greater worsening the sensation. The sensation for me is identical to the itch I get on warming my legs up after skiing as blood begins to flow to the cold skin on my thighs. This is the mild end of a spectrum of exercise and cold induced reactions which at it's worst can cause anaphylaxis.
  • AmyQwith2
    AmyQwith2 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    shape magazine mentioned that it might be the salt on your sweat doing it - in which case more moisturizer might help...but it also said that less oxygen is going to your skin and more to your muscles and the itching is a result of that...i'm sure they said more but that's what i remember...
  • welly5
    welly5 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    This happens to me if I haven't run in a while.. :( Just run as long as you can stand it, then try again the next day. It doesn't last forever but it is such a pain when it does happen.

I read that it was because blood is circulating to areas that it doesn't usually. just like when something is healing and it itches because new blood is going into it
  • tgiggles
    tgiggles Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This use to happen to me all the time, then 3 weeks ago I attempted to start running outside again and it didn't happen, but today out of the blue it started itching like crazy and I had the worst run... It doesn't happen to me if I work out indoors, it only happens outdoors. I really don't want to give up running but it is the worst feeling... I haven't change anything in my routine, the only thing I can think of is my cycle is coming and that may play a role